Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#961 Post by Béèm »

jemimah wrote:
Béèm wrote:Did the information I gave permit to analyze the problem?
Actually I still have no idea. I'm hoping a couple more people will have this problem so I can try to find commonalities. The last person to complain about that error told me a clean reinstall fixed it. I'll send you the information on how to set it up manually, but there's a bug at the moment making this difficult. When I have the patch ready, I'll post the information.
OK there is no hurry.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Sage

#962 Post by Sage »

Maybe never intended, but couldn't achieve a FULL install to HD. Disappointing because more than half the parameters have been left intact in PUI. Might as well reinstate the missing ones if you're not taking them all out in the interests of space compression?
jemimah

Re: Odd Suspend Behavior

#963 Post by jemimah »

Mstar wrote:I have an Acer Aspire One D150-1920 Netbook running Fluppy 009. Great stuff, thank you Jemimah.

When I click Suspend from the shutdown menu I can restart by pushing the power button.

When I press Fn-F4, I can restart by pressing the power button.

When I close the lid I can restart by pressing the power button, but when the machine restores it immediately displays "Suspending to Ram" and then suspends again. Ctrl-C does nothing to stop it, I have to force a shutdown and reboot.

I've tried adding "restore=RAM" to the extlinux.cfg file but to no avail.

It's a frugal install using a SSD.

I've tried searching the forum, using Google to search the forum, and the Puppeee forum.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
You can disable lid suspend using Acpi Control.

If you want to fix it, run this in the terminal after lid suspend is disabled.

Code: Select all

killall acpid
acpid -dl
Then shut and open the lid and send me the resulting output.
jemimah

#964 Post by jemimah »

Sage wrote:Maybe never intended, but couldn't achieve a FULL install to HD. Disappointing because more than half the parameters have been left intact in PUI. Might as well reinstate the missing ones if you're not taking them all out in the interests of space compression?
I haven't removed the full install option. However, if you tell it you have an SSD you get a frugal automatically.
jemimah

Re: buglets

#965 Post by jemimah »

ecube wrote:Fluppy009 buglets

Dell Vostro 220, Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Frugal install, RAM: 3080328 kB

Mounted partitions are not always marked as "mounted" (green dot) by the desktop drive icons (see attachment).
Workaround: "Tick box to erase then redraw ..." in Event Manager:Desktop drive icons and Restart X windows.

The eth0 interface does not connect after reboot.
Workaround: Add a symbolic link to /usr/local/bin/Frisbee
in the Startup directory

Compaq Mini CQ10-101SO, Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
Frugal install, RAM: 1026460 kB

The 1Vattery shows Battery percentage = 0% when I disconnect the AC-adapter
Workaround: Install powerapplet_tray-2.2.pet and remove 1Vattery from the Startup directory
Hmm, it should connect. Do you have a wireless card in your machine, or just ethernet?

There's actually two versions of vattery, can you run `ps -ef |grep vattery` and see which one it is on your machine? Also I'd be interested in the contents of your /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state file.
James C

#966 Post by James C »

ecube wrote: The eth0 interface does not connect after reboot.
in the Startup directory
Been busy and didn't get a chance to report it but had the same problem here.
Fresh frugal install of 009 on my main Linux box,everything good on initial boot except no internet connection. (wired dsl) Used Frisbee to get connection working....lost connection every reboot.
After about 20 reboots and 20 lost connections I took the easy way out.....I reinstalled 008 which has been working fine.
Sage

#967 Post by Sage »

if you tell it you have an SSD you get a frugal automatically.
Yes, that's the problem! I don't do FRUGAL - never have, never will. Thought I'd give HD install a spin, but the panel to select FULL or FRUGAL seems to be missing, the whole process is truncated into FRUGAL.
Furthermore, BK has bent his brain on 'difficult USB stick installs. I know I have a problem child here, but again, despite the embodied advice, neither of the routes advised worked. I wasn't surprised, but where are the loadsa alternatives BK worked out? Would've thought this is an essential area to include for this application?
jemimah

#968 Post by jemimah »

Just tell it you have a Sata hard drive instead of an ssd - then you'll get the option of a full install. This is the default PUI behavior.
ecube

#969 Post by ecube »

jemimah wrote:

in the Startup directory

Workaround: Install powerapplet_tray-2.2.pet and remove 1Vattery from the Startup directory
Hmm, it should connect. Do you have a wireless card in your machine, or just ethernet?

There's actually two versions of vattery, can you run `ps -ef |grep vattery` and see which one it is on your machine? Also I'd be interested in the contents of your /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state file.
Only ethernet. My three fluppy009 installations using wlan0 reconnects OK.

# ps -ef |grep vattery
root 14939 14937 0 10:35 tty1 00:00:00 vattery-ibam
root 23451 14725 0 10:37 pts/0 00:00:00 grep vattery

The state file delivers the expected information. I used an ad-hoc script before I found out that powerapplet_tray would solve the problem.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 188#435750
Sage

#970 Post by Sage »

Just tell it you have a SATA hard drive instead of an ssd
Don't use them - IDE only! But I did select the best apparent option from the truncated list.
This area needs expanding massively, both the options and the advice panels.
Ah! Just spotted that you were up half the night. Wonder what time breakfast will be in Fla. this morning...
Mstar

Odd Suspend Behavior

#971 Post by Mstar »

Good Morning Jemimah,

Here is the output produced by shuttting/opening the lid. I've only included the first few, there is a long list of identical outputs except that the event numbers change.

acpid: received event "button/lid LID0 00000080 00000070"
acpid: rule from /etc/acpi/events/lid matched
acpid: executing action "/etc/acpi/lid.sh "
BEGIN HANDLER MESSAGES
END HANDLER MESSAGES
acpid: action exited with status 0
acpid: 1 total rule matched
acpid: completed event "button/lid LID0 00000080 00000070"
acpid: received event "button/lid LID0 00000080 00000071"
BEGIN HANDLER MESSAGES
END HANDLER MESSAGES
acpid: completed event "button/lid LID0 00000080 00000071"
acpid: received event "button/lid LID0 00000080 00000072"
BEGIN HANDLER MESSAGES
END HANDLER MESSAGES
acpid: completed event "button/lid LID0 00000080 00000072"
acpid: received event "button/lid LID0 00000080 00000073"
BEGIN HANDLER MESSAGES
END HANDLER MESSAGES
acpid: completed event "button/lid LID0 00000080 00000073"
acpid: received event "button/lid LID0 00000080 00000074"
Thanks for your help.
Mstar
jemimah

#972 Post by jemimah »

Sage wrote:
Just tell it you have a SATA hard drive instead of an ssd
Don't use them - IDE only! But I did select the best apparent option from the truncated list.
This area needs expanding massively, both the options and the advice panels.
Ah! Just spotted that you were up half the night. Wonder what time breakfast will be in Fla. this morning...
About 4PM probably.

You also automatically get a frugal if you try to install to a non-linux partition.

I'll be taking a look again at the PUI soon as I need to integrate the grub4dos installer.
jemimah

Re: Odd Suspend Behavior

#973 Post by jemimah »

Mstar wrote:Good Morning Jemimah,

Here is the output produced by shuttting/opening the lid. I've only included the first few, there is a long list of identical outputs except that the event numbers change.
Cool. I'll see what I can do.
jemimah

#974 Post by jemimah »

ecube wrote:
jemimah wrote:

in the Startup directory

Only ethernet. My three fluppy009 installations using wlan0 reconnects OK.

# ps -ef |grep vattery
root 14939 14937 0 10:35 tty1 00:00:00 vattery-ibam
root 23451 14725 0 10:37 pts/0 00:00:00 grep vattery

The state file delivers the expected information. I used an ad-hoc script before I found out that powerapplet_tray would solve the problem.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 188#435750
Can I get the state file anyway (both plugged and unplugged versions)? There must be something in there that messes up IBAM - I need to adjust my startup script to run vattery-acpitool (which AFAIK always works) on your machine instead.
ecube

#975 Post by ecube »

jemimah wrote: Can I get the state file anyway (both plugged and unplugged versions)? There must be something in there that messes up IBAM - I need to adjust my startup script to run vattery-acpitool (which AFAIK always works) on your machine instead.
# cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state

AC adapter connected
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: charging
present rate: unknown
remaining capacity: 4709 mAh
present voltage: 12460 mV

AC adapter disconnected
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: discharging
present rate: unknown
remaining capacity: 4783 mAh
present voltage: 12185 mV
jemimah

#976 Post by jemimah »

Perfect, I just need to check BAT1 as well as BAT0. Ibam doesn't work if the discharge rate is unknown.
Sage

#977 Post by Sage »

All this talk about battery capacity is dangerous. It keeps popping up and graphically exposes mass ignorance like nothing else in this technology. There's a fortune waiting for anyone who can accurately predict the charging state and availability of any one specimen. It might be possible using a portable xray scanning microscope coupled to a three-electrode multi-probe and a petaflop super-computer, but even I doubt it.
The best guide is the capacity achieved on the last complete cycle minus one unit of predicted cycle life, but even that can be unreliable according to uncontrolled parameters like usage pattern, ambient temperature and internal case temperature, etc., etc.
All I am saying is that it is wrong to lull punters into a false sense of security with these so-called battery monitors. You don't need, and it's misleading to use SW & HW to get a prediction. As a first (lucky) prediction, assume you'll get the same as before less a little and expect to replace the battery within 2-3yrs, according to use.
To maximise battery life, keep it at 'top-of-charge' but without overcharging, which can sometimes be poorly controlled by the charger unit. Please, no more 'battery monitor' icons and wasted coding efforts to incorporate such.
Can 'o worms...
jemimah

#978 Post by jemimah »

Because everyone always loves it when the machine shuts off from a dead battery without so much as a warning. :P
Sage

#979 Post by Sage »

That's exactly my point! You can never guard against it unless you can do an in situ analysis of every particle in the electrodes structures and a complete analysis of the overall structure and composition at any snapshot. Statistical predictions based on mean performance of large samples isn't going to tell you anything about your machine! SW prediction is unreliable and misleading. If you have a magic solution, get in touch with the USArmy and you'll be a billionaire overnight.
jemimah

#980 Post by jemimah »

Statistical anyalsys over time of YOUR battery does work, at least, far better than nothing. Even the estimate from the BIOS is better than no estamate at all.