Anybody wanna send me their old laptop????

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
wscarl

Re: Anybody wanna send me their old laptop????

#21 Post by wscarl »

jason.b.c wrote:Anybody have an old laptop here in the U.S. that you would be willing to give up?

Hey it's worth a shot , isn't it???
But state what OS you what to install or you may get my old 386 4meg 80meg HD gray scale screen - Sharp (rebuit battery pack await back)- w/MS DOS.
Well it work's. LOL!!!!!

jason.b.c

Re: Anybody wanna send me their old laptop????

#22 Post by jason.b.c »

wscarl wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:Anybody have an old laptop here in the U.S. that you would be willing to give up?

Hey it's worth a shot , isn't it???
But state what OS you what to install or you may get my old 386 4meg 80meg HD gray scale screen - Sharp (rebuit battery pack await back)- w/MS DOS.
Well it work's. LOL!!!!!

Hi "wscarl", Well i was kinda hoping on something that i could install Puppy on, or at the very least install Grey cat linux.. :D

It dosen't have to be a really great one, just something that i can mess around with.

Is that the only older one you've got??

I probably shouldn't be choosie, like the saying goes: beggars can't be choosers.
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

Pizzasgood

#23 Post by Pizzasgood »

but he gives us his humour, honesty and enthusiasm as well as Empty Crust. That's why he is so popular.
So you mean I get good PR for giving out... emptyness? Cool 8)
Yea, I know he's a younger guy and he seems like a very smart kid ( i'm sure he is ), but i hope he dosen't think he's going to become a "millionaire" because i haven't heard of that sort of thing happening very much these days..
Thanks, and no I don't think I'm going to be a millionaire. The only way I'd be a millionaire is as a short rest stop on the road to trillionaire, but I actually don't particularly care about being rich. As long as I have as much money as I need to have a comfortable life, I'll be happy (and I have a warped sense of comfortable, especially in terms of temperature. Forget the heater, just give me AC). In fact, even if I were rich, I'd still buy cheap stuff. Rather than bask in luxiary goods, I'd put my money to use doing something, like improving school lunches or developing Puppy Linux. Sure, I'd use a good bit on things like my own personal (and street legal) tank, but only to a certain extent. The rest would go to worthy causes, such as more ergonomic telephones or neural-interfaces for computers (one of my few physical-injury fears is paralysis). My goals have nothing to do with money at all, so if I wind up rich, it will be because whatever I wanted to do happened to make me rich. I might do something that doesn't get me rich instead. Who knows? As long as I have fun doing it, I really don't care what the income is. So long as I stay cool, have internet access, and still have some money left over for decent food, I'm just fine. I suppose I'll have to rethink things if I ever wind up with a wife, though. Then I'd need more money for her and kids and stuff. But, that's where my "feel the burn" mentality comes in. :twisted:

Money is only a part of the equation, much like the role a road plays in getting to an amusement park to ride a roller coaster. The road, car, entrance fee, and even the park are all secondary to the true goal: the rollercoaster, or more specifically, the thrill of riding the rollercoaster.

As for grammar, it does come in handy sometimes. Generally, the more politely and correctly you ask for something, the more likely you'll get it. Some errors aren't noticed by the average person, but maybe it's an English teacher who possesses a laptop that is looking for a new owner. In that case you're in trouble. Teachers don't like when you use the word "their" inappropriately (as you did: their is plural but anybody is singular), and they especially dislike when you mispell "their" in any way. Doing things correctly impresses people and creates respect. Why should someone give a gift to a person who doesn't care to request it using proper English? I'm not criticizing (I do it too when I'm lazy), just explaining why it would be significant. Like I said, the average person probably wouldn't notice, but those who do notice just might be the ones who possess that which you seek.

If I'm sitting at the lunch table at school, and somebody comes swaggering up and says "Hey yo! Spot me some dough!" I'm inclined to say no. If they come up and say "Hey, man. I need some money fer lunch. I'll pay ya back tomorrow," I might do it. If they say "I forgot my wallet at home today. Would you please care to lend me some money for lunch?" I'll probably do it out of shear amazement.

Just something to keep in mind. If nothing else, use it in a worst case scenario and really throw somebody for a loop :wink: Good luck! :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

jason.b.c

#24 Post by jason.b.c »

pizzasgood wrote:but I actually don't particularly care about being rich. As long as I have as much money as I need to have a comfortable life, I'll be happy (and I have a warped sense of comfortable, especially in terms of temperature. Forget the heater, just give me AC). In fact, even if I were rich, I'd still buy cheap stuff. Rather than bask in luxiary goods, I'd put my money to use doing something, like improving school lunches or developing Puppy Linux. Sure,
Thats a preaty good ( Real world ) view you have there :D ,Most younger people i meet today have this: ( i'm gonna have it all ) and ( my stuff dosen't stink ) attitude because of what they see on "TV" these days..
pizzasgood wrote:Some errors aren't noticed by the average person, but maybe it's an English teacher who possesses a laptop that is looking for a new owner. In that case you're in trouble. Teachers don't like when you use the word "their" inappropriately (as you did: their is plural but anybody is singular), and they especially dislike when you mispell "their" in any way. Doing things correctly impresses people and creates respect. Why should someone give a gift to a person who doesn't care to request it using proper English? I'm not criticizing (I do it too when I'm lazy), just explaining why it would be significant.
Yea i know, It just set me off a bit when i thought i was getting "Poked at" for mis-using a word in my thread title, I thought "so what", "big damn deal" :lol:
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

rarsa

#25 Post by rarsa »

jason.b.c wrote:Yea i know, It just set me off a bit when i thought i was getting "Poked at" for mis-using a word in my thread title, I thought "so what", "big damn deal" :lol:
The 'big deal' is that maybe there and their sound alike and nobody will notice if you missuse them speaking. But when it's written, it may change the meaning of a sentence. Even more. Not everyone in the forum is a native English speaker (me included). Some may not even understand what you mean to say. It's happened to me more than once at work when I receive an email with something misspelled and I don't know if it's and error or a word I don't know or maybe a use of the word that I haven't heard before.

I actually didn't mean to poke fun at you. My intention was to share a little bit of knowledge that may help you in the future. (Actually you choosed to ignore the part of using singular "his/her").
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

jason.b.c

#26 Post by jason.b.c »

rarsa wrote:Even more. Not everyone in the forum is a native English speaker (me included). Some may not even understand what you mean to say.
Well i don't want this to sound in the wrong way but, Thats not really my problem if some people in "any" forums are not native english speakers.

Like for instance, In england ( or great brittan, i forget wich ), people there have something called "Pie and chips" . What the hell is pie and chips?, see i wouldn't know because i live in the U.S.A... And i've seen posts made before by english and brittish people and some of the words they use i don't understand, but i make do.

Thats why dictionaries and thesauruses were invented..To look up meanings of words..
I don't know or maybe a use of the word that I haven't heard before.
Like i said, i don't want this to sound shitty, but not everybody talks ( or in this case "types" ) in the same way.. :wink:
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

marksouth2000

Two choices

#27 Post by marksouth2000 »

jason.b.c wrote:
rarsa wrote:Even more. Not everyone in the forum is a native English speaker (me included). Some may not even understand what you mean to say.
Well i don't want this to sound in the wrong way but, Thats not really my problem if some people in "any" forums are not native english speakers.
Like i said, i don't want this to sound shitty, but not everybody talks ( or in this case "types" ) in the same way.. :wink:
Hey Jason, the thing is: most people here in the forum like you and have been trying to nudge you genty towards understanding that the WAY in which you ask something can make a difference to the result you get.

You can either take that advice in the spirit it was given, which will make you look good, or you can react badly and reject it, which will make you look bad.

My advice: always use the best grammar you have, and the best manners. Neither of them wear out with heavy use, they simply acquire more polish.

Best wishes,
Mark

Pizzasgood

#28 Post by Pizzasgood »

And everybody likes shiny stuff. :)
Thats why dictionaries and thesauruses were invented..To look up meanings of words..
Uh... right back at you? Dictionaries are so you use the correct word in the correct place, maybe? I can define there and their, but I get completely different definitions. One is a location, the other is a plural possessive pronoun such as my or his, but plural. A thesaurus doesn't (or at least shouldn't) have them togeather, because they are different words. Dictionaries are for either so the person writing can use the correct word or so the person reading can look up an already correct word. But writing something then giving it to somebody and telling them to correct it, well, I call that rude. Why should I have to figure out what you ment? Shouldn't you just say what you mean in the first place? We're not talking about different meanings to the same word, or a word that some people don't know. This is just the plain wrong word. It's like saying cat instead of shoe, even though cat in no way means shoe. Not in any language or dialect. Just say shoe, or if you want to be different, use slipper, clog, foot-wear, boot, bootie, sneaker, tenni, sandal, clod-hopper, runner, or artificial-hoof. But not cat. That is, unless you make shoes out of cat-hides or something. I'm assuming you don't, though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

jason.b.c

Re: Two choices

#29 Post by jason.b.c »

marksouth2000 wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:
Hey Jason, the thing is: most people here in the forum like you and have been trying to nudge you genty towards understanding that the WAY in which you ask something can make a difference to the result you get.

You can either take that advice in the spirit it was given, which will make you look good, or you can react badly and reject it, which will make you look bad.

My advice: always use the best grammar you have, and the best manners. Neither of them wear out with heavy use, they simply acquire more polish.

Best wishes,
Mark
All right, I see what ya mean now. It's just that it's sometimes hard to understand a persons Tone of voice when the message that your recieving is in text like with this forum, if you have one misplaced or misused little word it kinda throws of the whole thing.. ya know what i mean.??
pizzasgood wrote:Uh... right back at you? Dictionaries are so you use the correct word in the correct place, maybe? I can define there and their, but I get completely different definitions. One is a location, the other is a plural possessive pronoun such as my or his, but plural. A thesaurus doesn't (or at least shouldn't) have them togeather, because they are different words. Dictionaries are for either so the person writing can use the correct word or so the person reading can look up an already correct word. But writing something then giving it to somebody and telling them to correct it, well, I call that rude. Why should I have to figure out what you ment? Shouldn't you just say what you mean in the first place?
Hey Pizzasgood I'm sorry if i offended you, really i am.

All i was trying to say was is that i don't really think it matters much when a person uses the wrong word in the place of another ( in other words, when they make an honest mistake )..
But writing something then giving it to somebody and telling them to correct it, well, I call that rude. Why should I have to figure out what you ment?
What do ya mean?, Because i said use a "dictionary" to look up a word that you might not know.?.. or.. Because of my situation, Because i was corrected on my "mistake"..??

Really, i wasn't trying to be rude.....I appologise..
The 'big deal' is that maybe there and their sound alike and nobody will notice if you missuse them speaking. But when it's written, it may change the meaning of a sentence.
See what i'm getting at is that, I didn't understand it how it changes the meaning so much.?
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

Pizzasgood

#30 Post by Pizzasgood »

No, you didn't offend me. I'm sometimes prone to typing something that seems a little hotter than I mean. And I just couldn't resist the bit about the dictionary. Speaking of which, I think maybe we are talking about different dictionary situations. I took what you said to mean we should use a dictionary if you use "there" rather than "their" to figure it out. Then what I said was that that wouldn't help since it's the wrong word in the first place. Maybe I mis-read what you were mentioning the dictionary for, though. If so, sorry. If not, still sorry for that comming out a little rougher than I meant.

And no, I don't have a problem with mistakes. I've made some pretty dumb ones before, and may have just made another one. I just got heated up at what I probably mistakenly saw as blatently not caring about making an error.

So either way, sorry for the misunderstanding(s). Hope you get that laptop :wink:

jason.b.c

#31 Post by jason.b.c »

Pizzasgood wrote:No, you didn't offend me. I'm sometimes prone to typing something that seems a little hotter than I mean. And I just couldn't resist the bit about the dictionary. Speaking of which, I think maybe we are talking about different dictionary situations. I took what you said to mean we should use a dictionary if you use "there" rather than "their" to figure it out. Then what I said was that that wouldn't help since it's the wrong word in the first place. Maybe I mis-read what you were mentioning the dictionary for, though. If so, sorry. If not, still sorry for that comming out a little rougher than I meant.

And no, I don't have a problem with mistakes. I've made some pretty dumb ones before, and may have just made another one. I just got heated up at what I probably mistakenly saw as blatently not caring about making an error.

So either way, sorry for the misunderstanding(s). Hope you get that laptop :wink:
Were cool man, thats cool, I just wasn't quite sure what you meant but were cool...

See i'll tell you what, here is the reason why i was set off a bit by the whole deal is because of the way i was corrected and not because of the fact that i was corrected i just want anybody/everybody reading this to understand that, instead of getting this:>
rarsa wrote:The title says 'there old laptop'. It should say 'their old laptop'. But I actually think it should say 'his/her old laptop' or even better "an old laptop'.
sage wrote:Nicely put, rarsa - as ever.
I should have got something like this instead:>

Jason.b.c, I couldn't help but notice that you used the wrong form of "there,their" in the title of your thread?, If i'm not mistakin i believe it should say "their", just to let you know. I thought i would point that out to you, just trying to help ya out a bit. good luck..

See the differance??

I would have responded much more positive if it were this way, thats all i'm trying to say..

And i'm not mad or pissed at "Rarsa" in any way.. :D
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

rarsa

#32 Post by rarsa »

jason.b.c wrote:And i'm not mad or pissed at "Rarsa" in any way.. :D
He he he, Of course you don't. Why would you?

My post was intended to be conciliatory. To answer the question of what was the apparent problem and with sugestions for a solution.

Actually I never thought that in your following emails you were replying to me as I thought I was the nice guy in this picture. ;)

Now that everything is clear... who brought tbe beer? (Pizzaz, is 18 legal age where you live?)
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

jason.b.c

#33 Post by jason.b.c »

rarsa wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:And i'm not mad or pissed at "Rarsa" in any way.. :D
He he he, Of course you don't. Why would you?

My post was intended to be conciliatory. To answer the question of what was the apparent problem and with sugestions for a solution.

Actually I never thought that in your following emails you were replying to me as I thought I was the nice guy in this picture. ;)

Now that everything is clear... who brought tbe beer? (Pizzaz, is 18 legal age where you live?)
Ohh, I wasn't pointing my finger totally at you, It's mostly what Sage said:>
When asking really big favours, jason, it can help to make sure that your spelling is accurate [there, their, they're] and that you show adequate deference. That little ol' word 'please' should appear frequently. And always remember, no such thing as a free lunch. If you want something, what exactly is it YOU are prepared to offer??!!

I just felt like i was getting "Ganged up on" ya know??
Maybe a few more Puppy converts for starters?
Like saying: "Do this first, before you get helped"
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

Pizzasgood

#34 Post by Pizzasgood »

who brought tbe beer?
I think you've had enough :wink:

'twasn't me, though. I drink only milk and water for the most part. I'll take a milkshake when I get the chance, and I drink juice every now and then. That's about it, though. No caffeinated-drinks/alcoholoc-drinks/sports-drinks/etc. I can tell you now that alcohol or caffeine would be a very very very bad thing for me to consume. Aside from the addiction that I know I'd develop to both, they'd just plain mess me up. Somebody who has as warped of a mind as I have doesn't need any "mind-altering" drugs. If you combine that warped mind with an inability to regulate energy and give me caffien, you could get some problems (I have four settings: off, medium-high, high, and overdrive, but I have trouble hitting the high setting, so it's effectively only three). And that's with me leading a semi-sedentary lifestyle at the moment (darn school wasting my time). Excersize tires me out temporarily, but increases my overall energy on the whole, so caffeine would be even worse if I were more active. If I need a boost, I take a swig of h20 and pop in my Sonic Rush soundtrack :twisted:

So I'll take a cold milk, and none of those varients, either. Gimme a glass straight from the bulk tank (that's what I drink all summer, we get it cheap from our neighbors dairy farm). No chocolate-skim-wuss-milk for this psychotic shapeshifting hedgehog.

And as for my location, that is currenly classified intelligence. I am at liberty to say that it is far to hot for a born-and-bred Minnesotan to handle in the summer though. I've been in shorts since January, neglecting "formal" events (ick). Good thing I head back north each summer :)

jason.b.c

#35 Post by jason.b.c »

pizzasgood wrote:No caffeinated-drinks/alcoholoc-drinks/sports-drinks/etc. I can tell you now that alcohol or caffeine would be a very very very bad thing for me to consume. Aside from the addiction that I know I'd develop to both, they'd just plain mess me up.
Ohh your no fun, Well you could always be designated driver then.. :D
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

Pizzasgood

#36 Post by Pizzasgood »

Ohh your no fun
No no no. The point is that I'm already fun. Drinks would make me un-fun. If you take a surreal painting and try warping it, it won't get any more surreal. It'll just turn into a mess.

I don't have anything against drinking (in moderation, and no driving), I just don't do it myself. I know I wouldn't mix well, so I'm not going to waste my time with it. If I really want a buzz, I just need to drink a good milkshake. Liquid energy infused with a good bit of bliss. Yum :P

Ted Dog

BAD JOKE WARNING

#37 Post by Ted Dog »

Bad jokes actually used by me in Math class. both are spoken jokes for effect, and will not translate at all.

Why is 6 afraid of 7 ......(pause) ...... 7,8,9 ? ( little kids age 7-9 will choke back with laughter, middle school grimace, High schoolers roll their eyes, college students will have to have it explained )

Texas, with its large number of turists and winter Texas snowbirds, is second only to one state in the use of those odd half sized soda cans found in hotel rooms? Name the other state?

this is for pizzasgood..............

mini-soda
get it
mini-soda
:lol:

Ted Dog

Laptop

#38 Post by Ted Dog »

Well I have two older laptops, both have flaws...

Laptop 2000 (top of the line Gateway in 1998) heavy as two bricks, broken latch makes screen floppy, Will turn off when lid closed, battery flacky best to leave it plugged in. missing most of the keys (thanks to a hen nesting on it) puppy, pictured on the left, chewed on powercord. 233 MHZ (twiked to 266) 6G HD CDROM runs linux/win95

Second one was strongly considered however due to reinstall of XP & Puppy2 with Xine-XmVC in new Puppy2 the multimedia chip is performing so much better I'm using it inplace of a newer box as my media machine. It also has a broken latch, and was only slightly damaged by a keyboard crazed chicken, no tab key works and I used the piece of a windows menu key to replace the part the chicken did eat.

So I have been thinking about your request (good spellers bedamned) as one poor speller to another. :?

jason.b.c

#39 Post by jason.b.c »

:D
ted dog wrote:So I have been thinking about your request (good spellers bedamned) as one poor speller to another. Confused
Oh Yea?, So what are ya thinkin' ..?? :D( excited ) 8)
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

cl_linuxfreed

#40 Post by cl_linuxfreed »

Not to take away from jason's talking, but I'm looking for a laptop that would be usable for education. I am a student, and our school is telling us to get something for education, including a laptop, and I don't have the money for one. I live in a poorer, low income family, and the school won't provide us with these things.
-cl_linuxfreed