Puppy Package Manager

Booting, installing, newbie
CyGuy

Puppy Package Manager

#1 Post by CyGuy »

I am a Linux newb, using 5.1.1. Wondering how I go about updating Puppy Package Manager. That is, how to do I add additional (most recent) software packages to the Package Manager so I can easily install them without having to know the command line (which will take me some time to get comfortable with)? Thank you.
noryb009

#2 Post by noryb009 »

Open PPM (puppy package manager), and click "Configure Package Manager" (bottom left), then click "Update Now" (top left).
CyGuy

#3 Post by CyGuy »

Thanks so much for the tip! I see there are numerous databases. It would seem inefficient to update them all for 5.1.1. Do you have particular recommendations regarding what to update or should I do ALL?

Also, I don't understand some of the variations in terminology. Do DPTPUP packages install and run on 5.1.1? What about these things called PUPLETS? And what about those Ubuntu databases in the package manager?

Sorry for so many questions but Linux can seem quite geeky to us newbs.
noryb009

#4 Post by noryb009 »

Sorry for so many questions but Linux can seem quite geeky to us newbs.
It's OK.
Also, I don't understand some of the variations in terminology. Do DPTPUP packages install and run on 5.1.1? What about these things called PUPLETS? And what about those Ubuntu databases in the package manager?
Dot pets and dot pups are like installers for windows. You can find .pets around the forum, in quickpet, and in the PPM. I'm not an expert, but I don't think the 5.x series works with dot pups. I wouldn't recrement .pups for new comers, just because they are usually really old programs.

Puppy Linux 5.x (Lupu) runs using ubuntu binaries, which make it able to run most programs compiled for ubuntu.
I see there are numerous databases. It would seem inefficient to update them all for 5.1.1. Do you have particular recommendations regarding what to update or should I do ALL?
I would recremend just updating the woof-official.
CyGuy

#5 Post by CyGuy »

Thank you for being so helpful and specific.
Digital_Dissident

#6 Post by Digital_Dissident »

1.) I have updated the package manager, rebooted, and yet it still shows Firefox 3.6.13 and 4.0 as well as SeaMonkey 2.0.11 when newer versions of all three have been out for some time already.

2.) Also, I did not check any of the additional repos to add, so why does clicking "Update Now" prompt me about ALL of them?

And choosing "press any key to abort" seems to just abort the whole update process