Xorg Problems Lucid 5.2.5

Booting, installing, newbie
Rocco

Xorg Problems Lucid 5.2.5

#1 Post by Rocco »

I'm having the same issues with Lucid 5.2.5 as RayzorX, in fact, I've tried 4 or 5 versions of Puppy 5, all with the same result. I've tried recommended work around without success, are there any other options? Or, am I stuck running a version 4 Puppy?
bigpup wrote:For help with your problem edit your first post and give details.
We only know what you tell us.
To recap the problem I'm having, my computer is currently running Puppy 4.3.1 kernel 2.6.30.5, I'd like to upgrade to Lucid 5.2.5. When I attempt to boot up the live CD of 5.2.5, it fails when it tries to start xwin. If I boot using pfix=nox, it successfully boots to console but when I try a normal boot, the desktop never appears the computer just hangs up on a white screen.

I've looked at advice given to other people with apparently similar issues such as
Boot with the Puppy Live CD.
At the boot screen hit F2.
Add the command puppy pfix=nox
This will get you to a prompt.
Type xorgwizard at the prompt.
Select the vesa driver.
set resolution.
(best to set to monitor native resolution or something close. Vesa driver limited)
run test to see if it works.
finish xorgwizard.
back at prompt.
Type xwin
should see desktop.
When I try this, I end up with the same white screen.

It's also been suggested that I try puppy nosmp or puppy nosmp acpi=off, when I do that, I get a blank screen with a mouse pointer that works but nothing else.

I've tried several versions of Puppy 5 including Lucid 5.2.5, 5.2.5 retro k 2.6.30.6, Wary 5.1.2, Barebones Lucid 5.01 and one or two others all unsuccessfully.
Last edited by Rocco on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Rocco

#2 Post by Rocco »

Thanks, I'm a little short on time right now but I will try what you suggest later tonight when I've got more time.

I'm currently running Puppy 4.3.1 kernel 2.6.30.5, it works well but no version of Puppy 5 that I've tried so far works including Puppy 5.2.5. Retro which uses the same 2.6.30.5 kernel.

Anyways, here are specs for the computer as listed in it's user guide:
14.1" TFT XGA color LCD
Video Controller: built-in chipset, SiS 630S (Graphics Engine SiS 300)
Video DRAM: Shared Memory Architecture (SMA), shared system memory area up to 64 MB
LCD Resolution: 1024 x 768 x 256K colors XGA TFT LCD

BTW, I'm pretty sure my copy of xorg.conf is okay as I've been able to successful start up xwin when I try it on a different computer.
Rocco

#3 Post by Rocco »

What happened to the other posts in this thread? There were at least 4 or 5 other posts here.
bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Rocco wrote:What happened to the other posts in this thread? There were at least 4 or 5 other posts here.
Read here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 230#537230

For help with your problem edit your first post and give details.
We only know what you tell us.
Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

Xorg -version 1.3.0 for 4.3+4.3.1-Puppy

and version 1.6 and 1.7 for 5er-Puppy .

The 1.3.0 is little misleading , meaning xorg-server version . Xorg names it 7.3 or 7.6 instead of 1.3 or 1.6 .

You might look for technosaurus alternative Xvesa server in the Hardware section .

To my hardware both kernels and the drivers they pull into are basically the same if you don't change the '/etc/[modprobe.d/]modprobe.conf' or '/etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG' files .

The only thing that might be of interest is that the 'acpi blacklist year' in @30.5 is '2002' and @33.2 is '2001' . If your 'puter is made before Dec31 2001 the 30.5 kernel would not boot with acpi support but the 33.2 would . To turn off acpi : append ' acpi=off' to the grub kernel line .
Rocco

#6 Post by Rocco »

bigpup wrote:
Rocco wrote:What happened to the other posts in this thread? There were at least 4 or 5 other posts here.
Read here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 230#537230
Thanks, noted for future reference.
Rocco

#7 Post by Rocco »

Maybe I should also say why I want to upgrade to a version 5 Puppy, it's because I've been unable to get my USB network adapter to work with the Version 4.3.1 I'm currently running and I know from experience with a different computer, that it works with Lucid 5.2.5. so solving my xorg problem would at the same time eliminate my network adapter problem too.

I'm quite eager to turn this old laptop into something I can use so, if anyone has any suggestions, observations or comments that might be useful, on either topic, I'd very much like to hear from you.

Thanks.

BTW, you can read about my struggles with the network adapter in THIS THREAD.
bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Puppy 5 series may just not work on this computer because of age of hardware.
The Linux kernel stopped supporting older hardware after around Puppy 4.3.1
It is hit or miss after that with older hardware and newer versions of Puppy.

For Puppy 4.3.1
Maybe something here will help you.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47267

More specific
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 450#346450
Rocco

#9 Post by Rocco »

bigpup wrote:Puppy 5 series may just not work on this computer because of age of hardware.
The Linux kernel stopped supporting older hardware after around Puppy 4.3.1
It is hit or miss after that with older hardware and newer versions of Puppy.
Whatever the problem is with xorg, it doesn't seem to be related to the kernel per se because I can't get xorg to work with Lucid 5.2.5 Retro and it uses the same kernel 2.6.30.5 as the Puppy 4.3.1 that I'm running now. Nevertheless, your point about the incompatibility of the old hardware is well taken, before I came across Puppy 4.3.1, I tried several other distros, Ubuntu, Knoppix etc. none of them liked my hardware either so I'm inclined to believe you're probably right in that regard but still hoping that you're not. Either way, it would be nice to know for sure so I could stop banging my head against the wall, at least where Puppy version 5 is concerned.

bigpup wrote:For Puppy 4.3.1
Maybe something here will help you.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47267

More specific
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 450#346450
I tried the recommendations there, no luck. I can't get the drivers recommended for my device and kernel 2.6.30.5 work on either of my computers and it doesn't matter if's Puppy 4.3.1 k2.6.30.5 or Lucid 5.2.5 retro k2.6.30.5. I get the same results.

I've looked around at a few different threads and so far I haven't found anyone that's having the same problem with that network adapter and that leaves me with a sneaking suspicion that I'm just overlooking something, probably something simple. I'm going to go over that thread and the other one with a fine tooth comb to see if I can find anything that I missed.
Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

To the top

~