Remove CD Eject from the Shutdown & Upgrade Scripts

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
iang

Remove CD Eject from the Shutdown & Upgrade Scripts

#1 Post by iang »

When shutting down or rebooting, also when upgrading on a multi-session disc, the script ejects the CD, sometimes several times, warns the user not to close the tray, then requires a key press to continue.

Why?!

For most laptop or slimline CD drive users, this creates an error, as they are not capable of being closed under software control - they have to be manually closed.

If I do a reboot - I want just that - the system to save my work, shutdown & reboot. Leave the CD in the machine! If I don't want to save my work, I just switch the machine off - yes, you can - it's not Windows!

Seriously, there's a small bug in the CD upgrade script that ejects the the new CD before it's finished saving. It's not disastrous, but you have to recognise the script is still running, ignore the warning not to close to tray & close it anyway, ignore the error message, then ignore the warning again not to close the tray when it's finished, accept the error message, & then finally the script terminates.

Everything actually works perfectly, but it doesn't give that impression to a Linux newbie!

I switched from DSL to Puppy as I find it far more user friendly and the ability to save a session back to the liveCD is a real breakthrough, so please accept this as it is intended - a suggestion for improvement, not a critisism.

Keep up the good work!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I agree. I've been using Puppy Linux exclusively on a multisession DVD for several months now and I can't see any reason for ejecting the (multisession) disk after saving. It forces me to wait for the session to be saved after I shut the computer down, though I must say that doesn't take long in Puppy 2.02. :)

I leave my multisession DVD in the computer and use it as a replacement for a hard drive. Maybe to permanently disable or opt out of the auto CD eject could be a check-box in the shutdown menu.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

This may be a good reason not to pop the tray at shutdown. Laptops can't pull the tray back in, which may cause a problem for multisession users.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]