Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
alec78

GB Keyboard

#2261 Post by alec78 »

Hi All,

@ jermimah

Jermimah said " I don't see GB as an option".

After the first run window, another window come up where I select en_GB.

Re pupdial I hear what you say about gnome-ppp,
What I was trying to highlight is that this is the first luki that I have had difficulty getting on line with, usually I can be on line in about 15 minutes from install.

Cheers

TTW

Re: GB Keyboard

#2262 Post by TTW »

alec78 wrote:Hi All,

@ jermimah

What I was trying to highlight is that this is the first luki that I have had difficulty getting on line with, usually I can be on line in about 15 minutes from install.

Cheers
Had the same problem with GB keyboard, but found that right clicking on the US flag in the systray and selecting properties let me add the GB keyboard, and the FR one too, I can now toggle between GB and FR by clicking on the flag, very useful for translating.
As for Frisbee, this is the best puppy I have used, probably the first time i was online in under 5 mins, both ethernet and wifi work straight off, only issue is that F3 does not toggle my wifi on/ off, can probably live with this, wifi light does not work either, but that is whistles and bells, most important is that wifi is easy to set up and is actually remembered on a reboot.

TTW
Last edited by TTW on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Using SALUKI on an UltraBook

#2263 Post by gcmartin »

DaveS wrote: ... considering an Asus Ultrabook for ...
@DaveS, although I recognize that many of us purchase items directly from the I-net, if this system is being purchase from a local chain, you should be able to take a Saluki CD/DVD in and boot Live.

But, as Jemimah indicates, you could run into problems with LAN cards. All other things, you will know immediately of items working with Saluki. Some chains have WiFi available within their stores, so you might have a great idea of the Saluki exercising WiFi.

For the wired LAN feature, MOST, if not all can use the Novell implementation as a worst-case and even a "wrapper" as a worst-case.

All in all, though, I'm anxious to hear your findings. (Especailly if this has a touch screen).

Hope this helps somehow.
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

TTW

Midori Issues

#2264 Post by TTW »

My findings on Midori
No real issues, seems fairly stable. Only thing that I can find that doesn't work is HTML5 storage.
On some simple applications it works fine, however, try the Kindle Cloud reader and no luck at all.
It seems to go through the process of allowing an offline database, however, it won't then let you PIN your books from kindle online for use offline.
Bit of a shame really
Also tried using firefox for the same and this allows books to be Pinned for offline reading, which works, however, once you switch off and reboot you have to log back in to Amazon, not much use if you are offline when you reboot
Shame and could easily be the amazon kindle cloud app as much as the browser, but thought i would report

TTW

TTW

016 issues found

#2265 Post by TTW »

Ok, so far only found some very minor issues
Moonlander pet fails - downloaded ok and installed but clicking menu entry has no effect at all, nothing happens

Panels - created a panel no problem but it won't delete when i press the - button, everything says deleting, all the content deletes but the panel itself remains even on reboot

Panels - is it possible to have a transparent background for a panel?

Testing Cairo Dock now - will come back with findings

TTW

einar

custom builder 8

#2266 Post by einar »

playing with the custom builder in luki 17. and found a problem. if you want to choose from the original packages in the adrive, they are listed 2 times.

if i want to remove pcd or abiword i have to check 2 checkboxes. anoying :)

edit : missing dependency pearl-gtk2-1-242.pet

Billtoo and Pemasu any chanse we can see a new Ati driver.pet ? :) Prettey please ? :)
Last edited by einar on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

Re: custom builder 8

#2267 Post by jemimah »

einar wrote: if i want to remove pcd or abiword i have to check 2 checkboxes. anoying :)
Confirmed. Thanks!

jemimah

Re: 016 issues found

#2268 Post by jemimah »

TTW wrote:Ok, so far only found some very minor issues
Moonlander pet fails - downloaded ok and installed but clicking menu entry has no effect at all, nothing happens

Panels - created a panel no problem but it won't delete when i press the - button, everything says deleting, all the content deletes but the panel itself remains even on reboot

TTW
You get options for panel transparency after you turn on compositing in Window Manager Tweaks.

TTW

#2269 Post by TTW »

jemimah wrote:

TTW
You get options for panel transparency after you turn on compositing in Window Manager Tweaks.
Thank you Jemimah
Still having problems deleting a panel - any ideas, is there a config file I can edit?

Thanks
TTW

jemimah

Re: GB Keyboard

#2270 Post by jemimah »

alec78 wrote:Hi All,

@ jermimah

Cheers
What did you select in the firstrun window? I'm trying to figure out how to make this second window come up.

Hmmm, I didn't really change anything in pupdial - only minor aesthetics. It still works ok for me. I'm not sure what gives on your system.

einar

custom builder 8

#2271 Post by einar »

As posted above a missig pearl dependency gives me headacke.

These pakages have missing dependences : ( as listed ,in short names )
gtk youtube viewer
gtk youtube viewer
gts-plugins bad
dosbox
get plugins bad
dosbox
getplugins bad
dosbox
mozplugger
mozplugger
quicksynergy
quicksynergy
clementine
clementine

and

The following packages are missing:

pearl-gtk2 SDL SDL_soun slimp syngery talib

jemimah

#2272 Post by jemimah »

TTW wrote:
jemimah wrote:

TTW
Thank you Jemimah
Still having problems deleting a panel - any ideas, is there a config file I can edit?

Thanks
TTW
If you want no panels, I think you can turn them off in the session setttings.

einar

silly question

#2273 Post by einar »

while waiting for the checking for missing shared libs please wait.. check

yes it takes some time and already libphyton libs missing. I know i put the python2.7 pet in the adrive folder.

Edit : posing in the conent of the missing libs.txt file.
and i comfirmed the phyton 2.7 pet package in the adrive packages folder.

File rootfs-complete/opt/opera/lib/opera/liboperakde4.so has these missing library files:
libkio.so.5 libkdeui.so.5 libkdecore.so.5
File rootfs-complete/opt/opera/lib/opera/liboperagtk3.so has these missing library files:
libgdk-3.so.0 libgtk-3.so.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxPython2_5.so has these missing library files:
libpython2.5.so.1.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxPython2_4.so has these missing library files:
libpython2.4.so.1.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxPython2_3.so has these missing library files:
libpython2.3.so.1.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxPython2_7.so has these missing library files:
libpython2.7.so.1.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxPython2_6.so has these missing library files:
libpython2.6.so.1.0
File rootfs-complete/usr/bin/wrc has these missing library files:
libgettextpo.so.0
File rootfs-complete/usr/bin/wmc has these missing library files:
libgettextpo.so.0
File rootfs-complete/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/dbm.so has these missing library files:
libdb-4.7.so
File rootfs-complete/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_bsddb.so has these missing library files:
libdb-4.7.so
File rootfs-complete/usr/java/lib/i386/libJdbcOdbc.so has these missing library files:
libodbc.so libodbcinst.so

What am i doing wrong ? as im scratching my head. I was asked to covert the sfs files to pet files under my first try. I was halted because of a emty save file. was was not asked to do this process again the secound / third time. Is it possible these sfs to pet files are corrupted ? The answer is likely yes ;) I will try again tomorrow.

anyhow on to the silly question. what is the difference from performace mode and turbo mode ? Right know im using luki 17 in virtualbox and have no idea whats the difference

gcmartin

What kind of tool is the Custom Builder?

#2274 Post by gcmartin »

I recognize the information that has already been shared in this Thread on BOTH Saluki, the distro; and the Custom Builder, a tool for building a distro that is built into its Menu system (Menu>System>Saluki Custom Builder).

In a conversation with another member, I was asked this question
Returning to the Jemimah's tool, do you know if this one produce personalized remasters, general remasters, or both?
I thought it best to have someone here answer how to classify the "Saluki Custom Builder" in its ability to generate a distro's ISO.

Thanks in advance for a view.

HiDeHo

#2275 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:I understand Saluki was built from the ground up.

I would like to know if saluki can use or convert easily, deb like lucid puppy, slackwear like slacko. or any other os packages or would one need to compile them from source.
Saluki can install packages from just about anywhere. But the probability of them working is pretty low.

I am working on a pet for src2pkg that should help newbies with compiling. I will post it soon.

In the meantime, I take most requests.
ok for future
  1. a realtime kernel and apps for multimedia, and photo production. such as a studio linux version eg studio pup.
    :arrow: I have found studio pup not really working that well. probabbly being built on lupu520 and using ubuntu apps might be why. (I understand you may not have the time to devote to a stuiop build, maybe another willing person might be open to helping with it)
  2. deb-pet or rpm-pet etc (which used to work great in puppy 431), A way to easily get dependences.
    :idea: as saluki uses adrive instead of remastering. the idea of installing from source with devx and compiling apps is ok for the user but sux for the dev. having an easy to convert tar.gz source file to pet
  3. the devx make process could install the app in one place so the user can convert to pet easily. (I never understood why, in linux, apps are not put into one directory).
  4. an easy way to add extra app settings to pets / sfs for add-ons, tweaks etc.
    :idea: the traditional puppy remaster iso builder it was easy to do this. (i believe i mentioned this in a previous post)
  5. an automatic creation and link for docs, downloads etc to be outside the save file, or be asked if you would like to do it when actually creating save file
Last edited by HiDeHo on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:11, edited 3 times in total.

Geoffrey

Re: A BIG little request, to make my life easier

#2276 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete22 wrote:Jemimah, would you please put petget on the "open with" menu?
I forget and download a pet, instead of opening it,
Then, I can't get it open.

Can anyone tell me why when you click on a downloaded file and ask it to
open the folder the file is in, that NO Puppy ever does that!
It only asks me what I want to open the file with.

Is this a bug that can never be fixed?

Pete
Hi Pete, are you talking about firefox downloads, if so then when it ask that, navigate to /usr/bin/ and select "exo-open" tick the box to use it every time,
then it will work, I always create a folder in root called "Downloads" firefox likes that so does Google-Chrome.

Geoffrey

#2277 Post by Geoffrey »

It doesn't download the required dependencies, install SDL_image-1.2.12-i486 and SDL_mixer-1.2.12-i486 from the package manager.

HiDeHo

Re: A BIG little request, to make my life easier

#2278 Post by HiDeHo »

Geoffrey wrote:Are you talking about firefox downloads, if so then when it ask that, navigate to /usr/bin/ and select "exo-open" tick the box to use it every time, then it will work
good idea a handy hint.
Geoffrey wrote:I always create a folder in root called "Downloads" firefox likes that so does Google-Chrome.
i always recommend people create /home/downloads outside the save file for everyday use and point browser to it. or you can link /root/downloads to /home/downloads (if there was a way to set this up when creating a save file would be good).

Geoffrey

#2279 Post by Geoffrey »

I've broken it again, as far as I can tell it all started with trying to get bluetooth working, installed:

bluez-4.98-i486

obexd-0.44-i486

gnome-bluetooth-232.0-i486

which failed to work, I then installed guake and it's dependencies, this failed to run and gave the error

I then uninstalled the bluetooth and guake files, saved and restartedX, reinstall guake and dependencies,
guake now works, next I enabled desktop drive icons, I am able to mount drives but double clicking the x fails to unmount the drive.
Tried to view files in sfs with filemnt, this works only on one file at a time, unable to mount two sfs or iso files.
EDIT: unable to unload sfs files, message "processing... Wait a moment..." hangs.
This is running on a USB flash drive.
Last edited by Geoffrey on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2280 Post by Lobster »

This message which I also received as an email is in the wiki comments.
I think it is referring to Virtual Private Network support
Hello!
Please add pptp ... a lot of people are using VPN
/usr/sbin/ ... no pptp :
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D