Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Geoffrey

Re: GB Keyboard

#2281 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
What did you select in the firstrun window? I'm trying to figure out how to make this second window come up.
If "en English" is selected it then gives another menu to select english speaking country location.
DaveS

#2282 Post by DaveS »

Latest Xfce seems to offer single click desktop items (at long last), plus tiling windows. http://www.xfce.org/about/news/?post=1333238400
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
Sage

#2283 Post by Sage »

April 28th is still a long way off. Let's hope this release isn't modelled on Gnome4 !
Geoffrey

Re: version 16

#2284 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete22 wrote:What program allows me to set my icons where I want, and then makes sure they stay there?
Pete,

Here's a yad script that will backup the desktop icon positions and restore them, it's simple but will do the job for screen0.

Not sure how to go about multiple monitors as I've never used more than one, I assume the file's would be screen0....1...2...etc, the menu could be extended to include these.

I found that when the screen res is changed to play a game and has a mishap, it has a tendency to muck things up and this will fix that problem.
EDIT: this seems to be hit and miss, strange, you need to make sure that the option is selected it seems, the basic idea works, maybe someone can improve it.

EDIT: changed code, this now works

EDIT: I give up, its not working every time what I'm I doing wrong :roll:
EDIT: well it does work, just that the desktop can't be visible to use it, I'll sort something out.
EDIT: Got it to work using gtkdialog, yad won't play the game, this script looks a little weird as xfdesktop doesn't like to be rushed,
I tried this repeatedly shifting icons around and it works every time for me..

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#Save and restore XFCE Desktop icon positions
export XDesktop_Icon_Restorer_GUI='	
<window title="XDesktop Icon Restorer" icon-name="emblem-desktop" resizable="false" decorated="true">
<vbox>
 <hbox>
	<button use-underline="true">
			<label>'"       "_Quit"      "'</label>
			<input file stock="gtk-quit"></input>
		</button>
		<text><label>"    "</label></text>
        <button tooltip-text="Save the current desktop icon positions" use-underline="true">
			<label>'"    "_Save"     "'</label>
			<input file stock="gtk-apply"></input>
			<action>"xfdesktop --reload ; sleep .5 ; cp -f /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.bak"</action>
			<action type="exit">yes button clicked</action>
		</button>
		<text><label>"    "</label></text>
	    <button tooltip-text="Restore previously saved desktop icon positions" use-underline="true">
			<label>'_Restore'</label>
			<input file stock="gtk-refresh"></input>
			<action>"xfdesktop --reload ; sleep .5 ; cp -f /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.bak /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc ; sleep .5 ; xfdesktop --reload ; sleep .5"</action>
			<action type="exit">yes button clicked</action>
		</button>
	</hbox>
</vbox>
</window>'
gtkdialog --center --program=XDesktop_Icon_Restorer_GUI
Last edited by Geoffrey on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 00:48, edited 5 times in total.
mavrothal

#2285 Post by mavrothal »

what about

Restore*) cmd="cp /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.bak /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc ; xfdesktop --reload" ;;
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==
Geoffrey

#2286 Post by Geoffrey »

mavrothal wrote:what about

Restore*) cmd="cp /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.bak /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc ; xfdesktop --reload" ;;
Na, that don't work at all, I gave it a bit of a snooze that seemed to work a little better, then it could be my imagination :roll:
that was wrong gee what was I thinking
This works

Restore*) cmd="cp /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.bak /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc | sleep .5 ; xfdesktop --reload"
Na, still not right it works on the second attempt, I think getting rid of the entry and just use buttons, I don't know what is wrong, it should work :?

Fixed, this code works, edited previous post

Restore*) cmd="cp /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.bak /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc" ;;

*) exit 1 ;;       
esac

xfdesktop --reload

eval exec $cmd
This isn't working every time either, I think I'm stuck in one of those loops where you just keep going over the same crap, I'll have a cup of coffee and go and watch Dexter to clear my head :lol:
shelezyaka

#2287 Post by shelezyaka »

Hello jemimah .
Uploaded Saluki 017 and saw that the Russian localization put more than in previous versions.
Came from you, please help those who they can. Here is an archive of more complete Russian locale.
Unpacked 2, 3 mb. Use it or not, you decide. Bad that many scripts you wrote without the support of gettext.
Why is removed Xdelta-difference-manager?
What is the reason to use Xfburn? He can not copy discs, or I do not know how.
Patiently waiting for release candidate for a full translation into their language.
jemimah

Re: 016 issues found

#2288 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
TTW wrote:Ok, so far only found some very minor issues
Moonlander pet fails - downloaded ok and installed but clicking menu entry has no effect at all, nothing happens
It doesn't download the required dependencies, install SDL_image-1.2.12-i486 and SDL_mixer-1.2.12-i486 from the package manager.
Fixed. Thanks!
jemimah

#2289 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:I've broken it again, as far as I can tell it all started with trying to get bluetooth working, installed:

bluez-4.98-i486

obexd-0.44-i486

gnome-bluetooth-232.0-i486

which failed to work, I then installed guake and it's dependencies, this failed to run and gave the error

I then uninstalled the bluetooth and guake files, saved and restartedX, reinstall guake and dependencies,
guake now works, next I enabled desktop drive icons, I am able to mount drives but double clicking the x fails to unmount the drive.
Tried to view files in sfs with filemnt, this works only on one file at a time, unable to mount two sfs or iso files.
EDIT: unable to unload sfs files, message "processing... Wait a moment..." hangs.
This is running on a USB flash drive.
I tried installing gnome-bluetooth but it didn't break guake for me.

The glib schemas need to be compiled with this command

glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
But that command is in both the guake and gnome-bluetooth pinstall scripts. I'm not sure where it's messing up.
jemimah

Re: silly question

#2290 Post by jemimah »

einar wrote:while waiting for the checking for missing shared libs please wait.. check

yes it takes some time and already libphyton libs missing. I know i put the python2.7 pet in the adrive folder.

Edit : posing in the conent of the missing libs.txt file.
and i comfirmed the phyton 2.7 pet package in the adrive packages folder.

File rootfs-complete/opt/opera/lib/opera/liboperakde4.so has these missing library files:
libkio.so.5 libkdeui.so.5 libkdecore.so.5
File rootfs-complete/opt/opera/lib/opera/liboperagtk3.so has these missing library files:
libgdk-3.so.0 libgtk-3.so.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxPython2_5.so has these missing library files:
libpython2.5.so.1.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxPython2_4.so has these missing library files:
libpython2.4.so.1.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxPython2_3.so has these missing library files:
libpython2.3.so.1.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxPython2_7.so has these missing library files:
libpython2.7.so.1.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxPython2_6.so has these missing library files:
libpython2.6.so.1.0
File rootfs-complete/usr/bin/wrc has these missing library files:
libgettextpo.so.0
File rootfs-complete/usr/bin/wmc has these missing library files:
libgettextpo.so.0
File rootfs-complete/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/dbm.so has these missing library files:
libdb-4.7.so
File rootfs-complete/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_bsddb.so has these missing library files:
libdb-4.7.so
File rootfs-complete/usr/java/lib/i386/libJdbcOdbc.so has these missing library files:
libodbc.so libodbcinst.so

What am i doing wrong ? as im scratching my head. I was asked to covert the sfs files to pet files under my first try. I was halted because of a emty save file. was was not asked to do this process again the secound / third time. Is it possible these sfs to pet files are corrupted ? The answer is likely yes ;) I will try again tomorrow.

anyhow on to the silly question. what is the difference from performace mode and turbo mode ? Right know im using luki 17 in virtualbox and have no idea whats the difference
You're not doing anything wrong. This happens when you use packages that weren't compiled in saluki, like virtual box and jre. In all probability, it will work fine anyway.

Other errors are my fault like libdb in python and libgetttestpo from wine are actually linked in from the devx. I will upload fixed packages for those soon.
jemimah

#2291 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote:This message which I also received as an email is in the wiki comments.
I think it is referring to Virtual Private Network support
Hello!
Please add pptp ... a lot of people are using VPN
/usr/sbin/ ... no pptp :
gpptp is in the common repo.
jemimah

Re: GB Keyboard

#2292 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote:
What did you select in the firstrun window? I'm trying to figure out how to make this second window come up.
If "en English" is selected it then gives another menu to select english speaking country location.
Ah, OK. Thanks.
sszindian

Extra .pet's

#2293 Post by sszindian »

Some .pet's (I don't believe are in the Saluki PPM ?) from other repos that I found to work in Saluki:

(1) Acrobat Reader-9.9.9-Lucid.pet (Nice for fillable forms such as 1040a and other fillable PDF forms.)

(2) ffconvert-1.2.pet (from Slacko repo at ibiblio - for converting video formats etc.)

(3) ffmpegV-0.8.4-i486-s.pet (from Slacko repo at ibiblio - this is needed to give a much wider range of converting options for the ffconvert-1.2.pet)

(4) firewallstate-2.1.pet (after restarting XWindows it places an indicator icon in bottom r/h tray - placing mouse on it tells status of firewall: on or off)

(5) Slideshow-1.0.pet (in the murga Puppy Linux forum - some editing required on the file 'Slideshow file' itself that gets placed in root-folder to direct it to your file containing Pictures, or wherever your pictures/graphics are in case you don't want to use the default-folder. not very hard to do.)

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]
jemimah

#2294 Post by jemimah »

DaveS wrote:Latest Xfce seems to offer single click desktop items (at long last), plus tiling windows. http://www.xfce.org/about/news/?post=1333238400
Nice. Do you think we should we hold off on the Saluki release? The page says 4.10 should be out by the end of april. (hope that post is not an april fools joke).
DaveS

#2295 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote:
DaveS wrote:Latest Xfce seems to offer single click desktop items (at long last), plus tiling windows. http://www.xfce.org/about/news/?post=1333238400
Nice. Do you think we should we hold off on the Saluki release? The page says 4.10 should be out by the end of april. (hope that post is not an april fools joke).
They ARE desirable features.......
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
mavrothal

#2296 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:
From 4.8pre1 to 4.8 final took 2+ months. Add a month for testing in Saluki, we arrived in July.

A lot depends on what is your intention with Saluki after the Saluki "release".
If this is the end of the road, I'll take 4.10!
If not, release now. It may give Saluki a wider exposure/use/feedback and make an even better Saluki 2 by the time Xfce4.10 is ready.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==
jemimah

#2297 Post by jemimah »

shelezyaka wrote:Hello jemimah .
Uploaded Saluki 017 and saw that the Russian localization put more than in previous versions.
Came from you, please help those who they can. Here is an archive of more complete Russian locale.
Unpacked 2, 3 mb. Use it or not, you decide. Bad that many scripts you wrote without the support of gettext.
Why is removed Xdelta-difference-manager?
What is the reason to use Xfburn? He can not copy discs, or I do not know how.
Patiently waiting for release candidate for a full translation into their language.
The first saluki release isn't going to include much localization. Probably for the second release I will resync with woof and grab all of Barry's new localized scripts.

Xdelta was removed because it is a bit broken and because most people who aren't puppy veterans won't know what it is for. It's in the repo if you want it.

Xfburn is there because it is simple and has the right dependencies. I notice the icons are missing. I will fix that. If you need more features, install pburn from the repo.
gcmartin

#2298 Post by gcmartin »

I run Saluki Live from CD/DVD. I save PET and config changes via PUP's built-in save-session support back to the Live media at shutdown/reboot. This has been working for the most part.

Just completed the test for sleection and installation of JRE from SFS repo. It installs just fine and one can use it in the same running session.

But, when a reboot is schedule and a save-session is selected to the LIVE media, the JAVA support is nowhere to be found.

Problem:
I understand and have used PETs through-out the century. But, where is the documentation on suing a PUP with the new PPM suchn that anything that is installed in a session is survived over a save-session?

I don't have a problem following any directions that may be approriate.

And, can the PET repo contain a PET for JAVA, please?

The proper procedure applies to myself and all nuewbies unfaviliar with the approached added in the new movement of adding features and subsystems.

Thanks, in advance, for understanding and any help.
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 18:21, edited 3 times in total.
alec78

GB Keyboard

#2299 Post by alec78 »

Hi All

@jermimah

Your first question has already been answered by Geoffery.

Re Pupdial, I think this is a red herring. I remember on the install of 017 I tried to be more systematic and did a shut down at the start to create the safe file. Previously I probably set up my modem and pupdial before creating the save file, hence the change of keyboard would not be an issue, it's only when you need things like * and # that it bites.

Cheers
gcmartin

Installation of SeaMonkey PET

#2300 Post by gcmartin »

This is in addition to my prior post.

This suggests that all of the support is included in the current system. Can I assume some level of accuracy when I see this message?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Screenshot.png
LIbs are present BUT missing ???
(25.91 KiB) Downloaded 676 times