Internet connection is periodic

Booting, installing, newbie
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Internet connection is periodic

#1 Post by Lobster »

My friend is having a problem with the Puppy OS, we are having trouble connecting to the internet, not sure if it's the router or the computer. Her access is periodic. I am not very familiar with Puppy, and neither is she. I normally work with Windows XP and 7. The layout is so confusing, so I can't do much. Do you know how to fix it, or am I missing something? Sorry to bother you,
What happens when you click on connect?
disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Where is the original post Lobster? What is the point asking for more details here?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

The point is this was a PM (private message) which I did not have the resources to answer. I direct most questions to the wider community, some of which may be using the version of Puppy discussed. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
humblesoul

#4 Post by humblesoul »

Have you tried switching it off and switching it on again?

:lol:

Seriously though, try it. The router may need resetting. Remove power for 30 seconds and try again.
Barkin

Re: Router or computer

#5 Post by Barkin »

My friend is having a problem with the Puppy OS, we are having trouble connecting to the internet, not sure if it's the router or the computer. Her access is periodic.
If Puppy is frequently dropping the wi-fi connection (when windows doesn't) try installing Frisbee ... http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=604841#604841
disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

Lobster wrote:The point is this was a PM (private message) which I did not have the resources to answer. I direct most questions to the wider community, some of which may be using the version of Puppy discussed. :)
Ah, sorry. So I guess when you said "what happens when you click on connect?" you were wanting an explanation of how it works. When I read it I thought you were asking what the user with the problem saw when they tried it...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

humblesoul wrote:Have you tried switching it off and switching it on again?

:lol:

Seriously though, try it. The router may need resetting. Remove power for 30 seconds and try again.
I'd like to add that with many routers there is a hole in the back where a reset switch exists. You may need a small tool about the diameter of a good wire coat hanger to push the reset switch.

Then hold it in for about 30 seconds or likely less will do. This resets the router to its default settings if it works properly.

~
Barkin

#8 Post by Barkin »

Bruce B wrote: ... there is a hole in the back where a reset switch exists. You may need a small tool about the diameter of a good wire coat hanger to push the reset switch.

Then hold it in for about 30 seconds or likely less will do. This resets the router to its default settings if it works properly.
If the problem is the computer-router wifi connection, rather than the router-internet connection, resetting the router won't help any.
If the router has an indicator light showing it is connected to the internet don't press the reset switch.

[ if you do have to reset the router a dead biro is the ideal tool, rather than a scratchy metal coathanger ]
cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

Can be as simple as a bad phone cable >> $2.

A bad network cable $5.

After replacing those, turn the router off for a minute.
Check the status.

I would try another computer on it anyway.
Yeah! I know it has Puppy,
but it eliminates more hardware as the problem.

Of course another router is good if they know
their old details.
Might be under their router.

Back up the router before you use Bruce's suggestion.

And one last thing.
Are you sure someone else hasn't hacked their router,
and are using their connection.

Has their credit card expired??
...needed renewal details updated to their provider.
More common than you think.

::::::::

I think Hiren's has this.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/router_pas ... overy.html

:::::::

The best router help is....

http://portforward.com/

"""""

Also

Routerpasswords.

http://www.routerpasswords.com/

""""

http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

:::::::

Chris.
sfeeley

#10 Post by sfeeley »

Would frisbee work better to connect? My understanding is that its supposed to be better at automatically reconnecting after lost connections.

(I don't use frisbee personally, so its one of those half-stupid suggestions . . . . that might actually help)
greengeek

#11 Post by greengeek »

It would be nice to clarify if the problem is one of "having trouble connecting to the internet", or one of the connection being "periodic" (or both...)

(I am assuming that the Windows connections they mention are stable, and that this problem is specific to the Puppy..)

If they are able to connect to the internet successfully, but being disconnected after a period of time, then it sounds like a problem with the DHCP "lease" being dropped prematurely.

The router acts as a DHCP "master", and Puppy has to act as a DHCP "slave". They have to handle the DHCP "lease" parameters in the same way or else the Puppy will be dropped off the connection. In some versions of puppy the dhdpcd code protocol does not operate the same way that the router does, so the puppy gets kicked off.

In the worst cases, the router can get it's knickers in a knot and have to be turned off/on to reset itself. (This is the case with my Thomson router, and it prevents me from using some versions of puppy, but not others...)

Is your friend connecting by a wired port or wireless?
What version of puppy are they using?
Lexx43

#12 Post by Lexx43 »

I have an old desktop which works well with wired internet until ... demoted upstairs. Forcing to run wirelessly nothing worked (connection unstable) until I tried Puppy 5.28. There are two connect utilities , only one works though - I should add.
darkcity

#13 Post by darkcity »

slacko is the first pup to give me constant internet connection -

if <> slacko then upgrade = ; -)