How to install D.U.D.E. in Racy Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
blaarghalltheusernamesare

How to install D.U.D.E. in Racy Puppy?

#1 Post by blaarghalltheusernamesare »

in racy puppy, how do i restore the bar at the top of the screen that was there in older versions? also, is racy puppy 64 bit?

rokytnji

#2 Post by rokytnji »

Racy 5.2.2 is 32 bit with a PAE kernel. It picksup about 3.5 gig on my 4 gig ram Acer Aspire One Laptop.

The taskbar question. I have no idea what you mean.

#3 Post by blaarghalltheusernamesare »

on puppy 4.2.1 there's this bar at the top of the screen with search, power,a nd buttons for terminal and several other programs.

ICPUG

#4 Post by ICPUG »

Puppy 4.2.1 was a community developed puppy with all sorts of bling

Racy was deveoped by Barry Kauler - who, generally, does not like bling so the bar is not there.

If anyone can remember the necessary .pet required to create the bar speak now!

rokytnji

#5 Post by rokytnji »

Quote by Jemimah
Here's the thing. Barry designed puppy in an adhoc way. He writes just enough code to accomplish what he wants, but often not enough to create a layer of abstraction that would make Puppy very flexible. A lot of stuff is hard coded, a lot of assumptions are made, and a lot of things are done in a very non-standard way. This keeps down bloat, but also does a great job of preventing puppy from being easily customized.
I am guessing that you want a wbar pet that will install and work in Racy.

Wbar for Saluki was compiled and packaged by CatDude. I can't say it will will work in racy because I am happy with the default JWM config in Racy. I guess you could give it a shot.

wbar-2.2.2-i486-saluki.pet

imlib2-1.4.5-i486_saluki.pet

http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages-saluki/

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

That quote doesn't really apply to this situation. The lack of pet interoperability has nothing to do with Barry.

I'm pretty sure the saluki wbar should work in racy, but one doesn't know for sure unless it's tested.

#7 Post by blaarghalltheusernamesare »

I don't think it was wbar. it would drop down when i put the cursor to the top of the screen.

ICPUG

#8 Post by ICPUG »

OK - I have done some extensive forum searching and I know what it was now!

It was Ptray. I still cannot find the thread that provided Ptray though.

Ptray and PWidgets were both used in Puppy 4.2.1 and were Zigbert's creations.

The two items, along with some other stuff were subsequently combined in Zigbert's D.U.D.E. I HAVE found the thread for that. It is here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53680

#9 Post by blaarghalltheusernamesare »

thank you so much! itchanged all of my icons into the script icon, though. how do i change them back?

ICPUG

#10 Post by ICPUG »

I don't know the answer to that! I'm not even sure which icons are the problem - on the desktop - in the menus - in ROX??

Perhaps a PM to zigbert to point him here for a response or perhaps a query in the Dude thread would be appropriate to see if he has any ideas.

#11 Post by blaarghalltheusernamesare »

my desktop icons. either that or when i install they all disappear except for file,trash, and connect.

`f00

#12 Post by `f00 »

zig's first two posts in the DuDE-0.4.1 thread cover the overview, then follow the other 14pp for detail. It's a great system but takes some familiarity (for instance, the left-tray add icons to desktop? feature..).

In any case, original OEM items should always be in /initrd/pup_ro2 (which basically corresponds to the pup sfs) and may be examined or copied - like ../root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin.

"except for file,trash, and connect." - along with driveicons, trash and connect are the usual desktop icons that change state (file simply opens rox). No idea why DuDE cleaned your desktop unless it changed some basics excepting /usr/local/apps dir where those appdirs are kept, driveicons come from /root/.pup_event (which the pupevent backend should handle). Hmm, looking at the last post by sfoster on p14 of the DuDE thread shows you're not alone - I guess "Jwm pineboard" is PuppyPin? It's been awhile - I recall trying the original stardust puplet(s) from which DuDE evolved, but things change

Yah, retry-bump in the DuDE thread (or pm zigbert maybe) for better direction/help