Difficulties configuring with gcc

Booting, installing, newbie
newtopup

Difficulties configuring with gcc

#1 Post by newtopup »

Hi,

I am trying to install Kismet on my 5.3.3, but I get this error message in the config.log when trying to configure:

Code: Select all

gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
Being a bit of a noob I have not been able to figure out how to solve this, so any help would be really appreciated!

Thank you.

(ps: I posted this in additional software/compiling yesterday, but it struck me that this might be a more appropriate place for such a question)

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Newtopup- you should probably install :wink: binutils.

newtopup

#3 Post by newtopup »

Thanks Semme, you have helped me a lot and that seemed to fix that, but now I just get a new array of faliures.

Here's part of the config.log:

Code: Select all

gcc version 4.5.2 (GCC) 
configure:2613: $? = 0
configure:2602: gcc -V >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:2613: $? = 1
configure:2602: gcc -qversion >&5
gcc: unrecognized option '-qversion'
gcc: no input files
configure:2613: $? = 1
configure:2633: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:2655: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:2659: $? = 1
configure:2697: result: no
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
I'm assuming there are more programs missing, but I feel a bit overwhelmed here. Never had to go through anything like this to install stuff in the past (former windows slave) haha. Is there a remedy?

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

You install gcc with PPM? Full install (ah, usb install)? I'm not sure offhand if you'd be able to load this devx_slacko_5.3.3.sfs via usb.. I don't have one set atm.. Is there an ldconfig file onboard? It's supplied with the libc-bin pkg..

newtopup

#5 Post by newtopup »

Yes, I used the PPM to install gcc. Any other version I found outside of PPM took "huge" space on my USB, and seemed to need a c compiler to be installed...

I can't seem to find any idconfig file. Not through the find function anyways.

and I am able to download devx_slacko_5.3.3.sfs, but some files are red with an exclamation mark in a triangle.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

That's an "L" with ldconfig. Use Pfind >> system to search.. it's under filesystem in your menu.

newtopup

#7 Post by newtopup »

ah, yeah there it is. Feeling stupid now..

It is under /var/cache/ldconfig

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

The executable should be in /sbin. If it's there it'll dump a help listing: ldconfig --help

Run ldconfig each time after installing new libs. Reconfigure, then check messages..

What's the output here- the first ldd line: ldd --version

newtopup

#9 Post by newtopup »

The only file in ldconfig is aux-cache, and as far as I can see it is not executable. Is there another download I need perhaps?

I'm sure you are absolutely right, so I apologize if i come across thick here. I really appreciate the help.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

I was trying to avoid a Slacko boot- ldd (Ubuntu EGLIBC 2.11.1-0ubuntu7.10) 2.11.1

This pkg then should be OK to install- libc-bin_2.11.1-0ubuntu7.10_i386.deb

Run ldconfig afterwards..

newtopup

#11 Post by newtopup »

Ok I have installed the pkg and ldconfig is now in sbin. Nothing happens when I try to run it though.

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

No, though you didn't see it do anything, it paused before returning the shell, didn't it? Here's an example.

It appears these are the other deps required for a successful build. Pfind to figure which you're missing..

Heck- I'd probably just try the binary having installed the deps..

newtopup

#13 Post by newtopup »

aaahhh the relief =P I tried the binary and it worked nicely after having installed the deps I lacked. Thank you so much! It's good to see that people online can still be helpful to complete strangers.

One last little thing though. Kismet (and another program a while back I think) complained about being run as root. How do I alter that and does it make any difference?

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

Helpful in part because you stuck with it and reciprocated with feedback.

Beyond what's covered in sections 3, 4, 8'n 17, and because Pup has at best, pseudo multi-user functionality.. programs requiring such may or may not work properly. What I can say is if you experience trouble running as root aboard Pup, see this post/thread and adjust accordingly. Other programs may have their own workarounds..

As far as the risk of running Kismet as root, I'd prefer my usb install- saved to file!
Attachments
kismet_run-as-root-check.png
(44.44 KiB) Downloaded 548 times