John Doe

I've never tried Multi-session live-CD

#1 Post by John Doe »

I hope it works great for everyone.

raffy

Great

#2 Post by raffy »

Yes, it's great.

With 1.xx versions (starting from 1.06), there is a separate multisession ISO. For Puppy2, it is the same ISO.

1.xx versions have problem using CD-RW drives, only works well in new DVD-RW or older DVD+CD-RW drives (older DVD drives that cant write to DVD, only on CD). Puppy2 writes on all DVD-RW and CD-RW drives (uh, I guess so, based on my experience).

John Doe

Re: Great

#3 Post by John Doe »

raffy wrote:For Puppy2, it is the same ISO.
I love when the features from the separate releases merge into one.
raffy wrote:Puppy2 writes on all DVD-RW and CD-RW drives (uh, I guess so, based on my experience).
Thanks for the observations. I'll give it a go.

raffy

Eject

#4 Post by raffy »

Oh, by the way, there is a "ceremonial" eject of the CD during the first save - it's explained somewhere in this forum, but just expect it. :)

PaulBx1

#5 Post by PaulBx1 »

I was looking at this old (Puppy 1.0.6) description of multi-session:
http://puppyos.com/multi-puppy.htm

Is it still the case that 12MB is wasted on CDs with every save? My old Thinkpad can only burn CDs, not DVDs <sigh>

Also, I'm curious about boot times people are seeing.

I'm running 2.0.2 these days, thinking about multisession.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

I think the wasted space is inherent to the multisession specification for CDs, but not for DVDs. Still, it's not all that much, considering how cheap CDs are.

Why not try a multisession CD and see how it works for you? Then you'll be ready for multisession DVD when you get the chance.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

iang

#7 Post by iang »

The wonderful thing about multisession is the CD effectively becomes your hard drive. No need for any other hard drive or USB memory at all.

There is some wasted space, but so what? When the disc is full, it prompts for a new one. The old becomes your instant back-up.

Boot time from my EPIA 5000 & multisession CD is about 2 minutes.

VIA EPIA 5000 533MHz Motherboard
256MB
CD-RW
USB memory
No hard drive

losl

#8 Post by losl »

iang wrote:The wonderful thing about multisession is the CD effectively becomes your hard drive. No need for any other hard drive or USB memory at all.
Can you boot your multisession cd of Puppy (mine is 2.02) again after save the settings when you finish the first session?

SLo

iang

#9 Post by iang »

Can you boot your multisession cd of Puppy (mine is 2.02) again after save the settings when you finish the first session?
Yes, very much so. Each time you shut down, the current session will be saved to the CD & reloaded on the next boot. So all your settings, files, configuration etc. will saved and restored again on the next boot.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Iang, is there any chance you could borrow a different brand CD drive for a test? Even better would be a DVD burner.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]