How to replace Android with Linux in a Pocketbook IQ 701?

Booting, installing, newbie
rover

How to replace Android with Linux in a Pocketbook IQ 701?

#1 Post by rover »

I have a Pocketbook IQ 701 e-reader that I no longer use and want to use it as a tool to learn with.

It currently runs the android operating system.

I want to learn first, how to remove android, and next how to replace the operating system. (from internal memory, not the sd card). At this time I do not care if I have to just run it in a command line, as I consider this really learning linux.

After I get this done, I hope I do not have to bug you guys anymore, as information should be available easily via google, but I cannot find anything this basic, (or do not know what to ask).

The specs for the e-reader are :
POCKETBOOK IQ 701

Display: 7-inch TFT LCD, 600x800, 143 dpi, Color
Touch Panel: Yes
Operating System: Android 2.0
CPU: Samsung S3C6410, 800 MHz, ARM11
Internal Memory: RAM 256 MB, Flash 2 GB
External Memory Slot: SDHC (up to 32 GB)
Wireless Connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n
Wired Connectivity: miniUSB 2.0
Audio Output: 3.5mm stereo TRS connector, 2 speakers
Accelerometer: Yes
Battery: Li-Polymer, 1600 mAh
Size: 144 x 192 x 14 mm
Weight: 516 grams (18.2 oz)
Color: Red, White, or Blue
Wall Charger: Yes; OUTPUT 12V, 1.5A

Hogweed

#2 Post by Hogweed »

It already runs Linux. Android runs on top of Linux. You can root the device and get shell access (using apps available in Play Store for rooted phones) if you want. You could then build up the minimal linux system by adding more ARM binaries. Busybox for Android will get you started once you have rooted.

As there is no port of Clockworkmod Recovery for the device and no custom ROMs you would have to start from scratch if you wanted to roll your own. Rooting instructions at http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Pocketbook_IQ_701

Actually I've just noticed there are apps in Play Store which can install a full Linux ARM distro alongside your current ROM. I haven't tried them and you might not have sufficient resources on the device. But here's one example https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en

Description
Complete Linux Installer is an all in one solution to installing Linux distros on your Android device. Brought to you by the LinuxonAndroid project the app is designed to allow you to install a full Linux distro without touching your Android install.
Current distros include Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, ArchLinux, Kali Linux, openSUSE and more coming soon!