Upgrading Geany

Booting, installing, newbie
431user

Upgrading Geany

#1 Post by 431user »

I am using Puppy 431 with Geany version 0.18. When I downloaded the Geany manual from their website I learned that the latest version of Geany was 1.23.1. I would like to upgrade to this version but could not find a package for Puppy. Would another package work or where else could I find one? I am a little bit leery of attempting to build it myself and deal with dependencies, etc. since I have little experience at this. What is the best procedure to follow? Thanks.

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

With older distros and newer packages, the greater the separation in age terms, the greater the risk of encountering problems in getting it to build or run. I took a glance at the Geany website. Looks like it needs at least version 2.16 of gtk+. I don't have 431 to hand, what version does it have? Does your on-board Geany fail to work in some way? If you can't find a package on the forum I suggest you try to compile it and see what happens.
Oscar in England

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

L̶a̶u̶n̶c̶h̶p̶a̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶1̶.̶2̶3̶ ̶b̶i̶n̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶.̶.̶ ̶J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶u̶n̶p̶a̶c̶k̶'̶n̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶. Hmm, @ 2.10 >> doubtful.

431user

#4 Post by 431user »

OscarTalks wrote:With older distros and newer packages, the greater the separation in age terms, the greater the risk of encountering problems in getting it to build or run. I took a glance at the Geany website. Looks like it needs at least version 2.16 of gtk+. I don't have 431 to hand, what version does it have? Does your on-board Geany fail to work in some way? If you can't find a package on the forum I suggest you try to compile it and see what happens.
GTK is version 2.14.7. I will try to get version 2.16 and take a shot at compiling it.

431user

#5 Post by 431user »

Semme wrote:L̶a̶u̶n̶c̶h̶p̶a̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶1̶.̶2̶3̶ ̶b̶i̶n̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶.̶.̶ ̶J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶u̶n̶p̶a̶c̶k̶'̶n̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶. Hmm, @ 2.10 >> doubtful.
Went to Launchpad and downloaded the i386 binary and unpacked. When I installed it placed an entry on the Menu > Utility. However, when I clicked on it nothing happened. When I clicked on the 'edit' icon old Geany wouldn't appear. So I don't have the new Geany or the old Geany. Further investigation necessary.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

There's a reason for strike-throughs. Besides, nowhere did I use the word install.

If you want the old one back, recover what you need from a live boot. It's there.