How does Wary Puppy compare to other versions of Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
nic007

How does Wary Puppy compare to other versions of Puppy?

#1 Post by nic007 »

I know Wary Puppy was released to cater mostly for older machines but how does it (say Wary Puppy 5.5) compare to other Puppies in terms of performance when it comes to newer hardware (I'm aware that it has an older kernel)?

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

I see it doesn't support PAE but if you have less than 4GB memory anyway, what's the use? My CPU which is 11 years old has PAE capabilities. :)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Wary performs about the same as other versions of Puppy.
For really new hardware (0-4 years old) the newer versions of Puppy will probably work slightly better.
Their newer Linux kernels, have the added support, for what that hardware can do.
Also, newer Puppy versions have improved core programs and bug fixes.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

I could be wrong about this, but as I understand it the most important consideration with using Wary on newer hardware is not the question of pae or non-pae.

The thing about Wary is that it is uniprocessor so can not take advantage of multiple cores or HT (Hyper-Threading which makes 1 processor behave as 2 and is often a feature even of Pentium 4 processors). This is a difference which you are likely to notice. I certainly have.

Wary is great and has some really good features, but is best suited to older hardware. For anything other than a uniprocessor system, Slacko or Precise or Wheezy (for example) would almost always be a better choice.
Oscar in England

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

Thanks guys. I have a Celeron 1.7GHz CPU (single core). Probably not worth downloading Precise then.

NickAu

#6 Post by NickAu »

@ Oscar

I run precise 5.7.1 fatty on a 2x Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Cpu U7700@ 1.33 ghz see full specs in my sig. And its great. Should I be looking at Wary?
[b]Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro Fatty Edition. Hp Compaq 2510p 2x Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Cpu U7700@ 1.33 ghz,2 gig ram Booting from 8 gig micro USB + 32 gig SD card instead of HDD[/b]

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

NickAu wrote:@ Oscar

I run precise 5.7.1 fatty on a 2x Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Cpu U7700@ 1.33 ghz see full specs in my sig. And its great. Should I be looking at Wary?
You have dual core but less than 4GB RAM. I read somewhere that running a PAE kernel on less than 4GB RAM will give slightly slower performance (1 to 2%). Something to do with having to handle 3 tables instead of 2 tables (whatever that means). I may of course be totally wrong. Precise Retro may work slightly better for you. Precise is an upgrade from Wary so wouldn't recommend going back to Wary. On the other hand, I have a late release of Wary and won't be upgrading to Precise right now as I'm not convinced it's worthwhile.

NickAu

#8 Post by NickAu »

Sorry my bad.

I run Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro Fatty Edition. February version.By csipesz
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=30
slightly slower performance (1 to 2%).
Well still makes it faster than a 2000 dollar Laptop with Windows 8 on it, So I will suffer the speed loss..... :P
[b]Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro Fatty Edition. Hp Compaq 2510p 2x Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Cpu U7700@ 1.33 ghz,2 gig ram Booting from 8 gig micro USB + 32 gig SD card instead of HDD[/b]

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

NickAu wrote:Sorry my bad.

I run Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro Fatty Edition. February version.By csipesz
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=30
slightly slower performance (1 to 2%).
Well still makes it faster than a 2000 dollar Laptop with Windows 8 on it, So I will suffer the speed loss..... :P
No, you are running the faster version for your setup because you have Precise non-PAE kernel for your 2GB RAM machine. You are on the money, mate :wink:

NickAu

#10 Post by NickAu »

I am sorry

With the speed this set up has, booting as I do from usb using a SDcard instead of a Hard Drive for storage, The hours i get on battery life and other benifits I can see this machine and others like it lasting another 10 years.

So From now on I will never call any pc "stolen from noahs ark"

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

NickAu wrote:I am sorry

With the speed this set up has, booting as I do from usb using a SDcard instead of a Hard Drive for storage, The hours i get on battery life and other benifits I can see this machine and others like it lasting another 10 years.

So From now on I will never call any pc "stolen from noahs ark"
Interesting about the battery life. How much longer can you stretch a working session when working with SD card rather than HDD in battery mode?

NickAu

#12 Post by NickAu »

Interesting about the battery life. How much longer can you stretch a working session when working with SD card rather than HDD in battery mode?
The battery is new and with the sceen turned off and nothing else It ran for 10 hours thats without me touching it. Connected to the net but idle. dont know about working with it so far 3 hours with 27% battery left thats just light browsing and watching a few youtubes. The great thing is other than the fan that hardly ever seems to run I have no moving parts. processor temp is 42 deg.

One day I might get a SSD but why bother the 32 gig SD Card cost about 20 bucks. Plus I have a few doing nothing.

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

NickAu wrote:
The battery is new and with the sceen turned off and nothing else It ran for 10 hours thats without me touching it. Connected to the net but idle. dont know about working with it so far 3 hours with 27% battery left thats just light browsing and watching a few youtubes. The great thing is other than the fan that hardly ever seems to run I have no moving parts. processor temp is 42 deg.

One day I might get a SSD but why bother the 32 gig SD Card cost about 20 bucks. Plus I have a few doing nothing.
It will be interesting to compare battery usage working with HDD only compared to working with USB card/flashdrive only. If the difference is significant it could have all sorts of practical benefits.

NickAu

#14 Post by NickAu »

working with HDD only
Aww that would mean I would have to buy 1.This thing came with no HDD I got it on ebay for 50 bucks It booted into bios in the foto on ebay so all was good. and my brother in law "re packed" the battery for free the old battery seemed fine to me. I have no plans to add a SSD or HDD to it the SD Card is big enough for what I need.
If the difference is significant
It should be. when i go to my sd card its not spinning Playing mp3's for example or watching video stored on SD Card. There is less heat, The fan is not needed as often mine only comes on sometimes for Processor intensive stuff. Etc.

nic007

#15 Post by nic007 »

NickAu wrote:
working with HDD only
Aww that would mean I would have to buy 1.This thing came with no HDD I got it on ebay for 50 bucks It booted into bios in the foto on ebay so all was good. and my brother in law "re packed" the battery for free the old battery seemed fine to me. I have no plans to add a SSD or HDD to it the SD Card is big enough for what I need.
If the difference is significant
It should be. when i go to my sd card its not spinning Playing mp3's for example or watching video stored on SD Card. There is less heat, The fan is not needed as often mine only comes on sometimes for Processor intensive stuff. Etc.
Yes, will be interesting to make real time comparison. Maybe some other laptop users can help us out with this, unfortunately I don't have a laptop myself.