Icon's keep moving on desktop after making new ISO CD

Using applications, configuring, problems
john biles

Icon's keep moving on desktop after making new ISO CD

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello everyone,
I downloaded a few extra packages and burnt a new ISO CD and now when ever I boot up all the Icons running down the left side of the screen move over to the righthand side.
I move them back to where their meant to be and the next time I boot Puupy their back on the righthand side again!

Note: Puppy is installed on the Hard Drive and not running Live.

While it doesn't stop me using my Programs, it gets annoying having to move them to where their meant to be each time I boot.
Any ideas on how to fix it?
P.S Using Puppy 2.1
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy places an icon or 2 on the right side of the screen ... for example, the Trash icon and the Lock Screen icon

these icons would need to be repositioned if the screen resolution changes ... so a program is run that does this every time X starts ... the program moves these icons automatically, along with any other icon that is in the same column of the screen

what you seem to be doing is trying to put an icon that Puppy expects to be on the right side of the screen on the left

you can 1) stop trying to move the Trash and the Screen Lock icons to the left side of the screen, or 2) disable the program that repositions the icons by deleting or commenting in .xinitrc this line:

/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

The lock-screen icon is the critical one. You should leave this at top-right -- unless you do what G2 suggests.
But, editing .xinitrc is a bad idea as it is liable to get overwritten at the next version upgrade (that will only happen if the new Puppy version has a later modify-date on the .xinitrc file, ie I have modified it).
john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Thanks GuestToo and Barryk for the insight on how it works and how to override it if need be!
And that's why Puppy is the Greatest Linux!