It's me again Margret.

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
Evil20071

It's me again Margret.

#1 Post by Evil20071 »

Well, I've been out of the loop since helping with the initial version of PSIP back with Puppy 4.2, but I think it's high time I get back with it and see what I can do to further the Puppy community. I come to the table with a small offering to the community, which I hope to turn into more. I currently have a Windows based datacenter server, upon which I am planning on adding an extra 128 Gb hard drive dedicated just to Puppy Linux, so that we can have our own repository. I am also looking into installing an SIP server to use for the PSIP system so that we don't have to go through, say, Gizmo for our SIP server. We'll have our own. I will also be attempting to do some packaging and/or development for some Puppy software as well.

Happy Thanksgiving, 2014.
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Welcome back, Cotter! :)
The more talents Puppy can count on, the better!

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Evil20071

#3 Post by Evil20071 »

Absolutely. I really have missed eing a part of development. I'm thinking of taking one of the *buntu compatible pups and stripping it down to the bare bones and then packaging it with all the web server bells and whistles. PHP, Apache, MySQL maybe some other stuff to go with it, too. Not sure what I'll call it, but I think with all the server distro requests I've seen (and made), I want to take the initiative to make us a server pupplet.

zigbert

#4 Post by zigbert »

I like what I read :)
Welcome back

Evil20071

#5 Post by Evil20071 »

I'm open for ideas suggestions and assistance.

Galbi

#6 Post by Galbi »

Evil20071 wrote:Absolutely. I really have missed eing a part of development. I'm thinking of taking one of the *buntu compatible pups and stripping it down to the bare bones and then packaging it with all the web server bells and whistles. PHP, Apache, MySQL maybe some other stuff to go with it, too. Not sure what I'll call it, but I think with all the server distro requests I've seen (and made), I want to take the initiative to make us a server pupplet.
I found Puppy running only as root, fantastic, for desktops, but, for acting as a server, isn´t that a problem/risky?

In the meetings of the LUG I used to go, when I mentioned that Puppy was my favorite distro, the other linux users (mostly Ubuntians) they all disagree with running as root. Perhaps because they usually deal with lost of servers.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Evil20071

#7 Post by Evil20071 »

I run my Windoze server as administrator. It's risky, yes, but if you set it up correctly, it won't matter much.

Evil20071

#8 Post by Evil20071 »

This makes it official.[/url]

LazY Puppy

#9 Post by LazY Puppy »

In the meetings of the LUG I used to go, when I mentioned that Puppy was my favorite distro, the other linux users (mostly Ubuntians) they all disagree with running as root. Perhaps because they usually deal with lost of servers.
A majority doesn't own the one and only simple truth just by being a majority!

Have a look at Germany from 1933 to 1945 where the majority wasn't just wrong but also ugly ugly ugly!!!

So beware of the majorities!

Especially the Ubuntu ones... :lol:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Evil20071

#10 Post by Evil20071 »

Agreed. So, going to put up a project page when I get home and have access to my server again. Kinda hard to do from my phone, but not impossible...

tlchost

#11 Post by tlchost »

I use a modified version of XAMPP to run virtual sites in Puppy.

What I have no been able to do is make and sfs of it...so if you do a "bells and Whistles" of Apache, MySQL, php that can act as a virtual server it would be super.

I'm using OVPrecise on a bootable USB, and have configured XAMPP
to have all sites in /mnt/home/sites.

Thanks

Thom

Sylvander

#12 Post by Sylvander »

LazY Puppy wrote:A majority doesn't own the one and only simple truth just by being a majority!
One day it hit me:
"Democracy" = "Dictatorship of the Majority".

e.g. If 51% vote one way, and 49% the other.
Is it right that the 51% rule, and the 49% take what they are given rather than the other way around?

This idea was prompted by a Maltese guy complaining that the other side had won the election by such a narrow margin, yet "the winner takes all".

tlchost

#13 Post by tlchost »

So, what's the magic formula? 60/40, 70/30 ?

Of course whatever it is, the folks that don't win will find some way to complain.

cthisbear

#14 Post by cthisbear »

Evil20071:

Not happy that you have been away so long.

Oh OK! then......welcome back.

Chris.

Evil20071

#15 Post by Evil20071 »

Hey Chris. I'm not happy I've been away so long, either. However, I'm working on my project pup already... Gathering up some public binaries for PHP, HTTPd and MySQL now to test them out here on Slacko just to see what kinds of tweaks I'm going to have to deal with.

Should be fun...

bark_bark_bark

#16 Post by bark_bark_bark »

speaking of MySQL, I found the open source community in general has moved on to the more free and more open source MariaDB. I don'tk now much about it though.

NeroVance

#17 Post by NeroVance »

zigbert wrote:I like what I read :)
Welcome back
Second that Zigbert, we could use a good repository going forward.

Evil20071

#18 Post by Evil20071 »

Agreed. I should get my schedule for next week when I go in today, so I can see when I can get the extra.hdd installed.

LazY Puppy

#19 Post by LazY Puppy »

Sylvander wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:A majority doesn't own the one and only simple truth just by being a majority!
One day it hit me:
"Democracy" = "Dictatorship of the Majority".

e.g. If 51% vote one way, and 49% the other.
Is it right that the 51% rule, and the 49% take what they are given rather than the other way around?

This idea was prompted by a Maltese guy complaining that the other side had won the election by such a narrow margin, yet "the winner takes all".
Yes, Dictatorship of the Majority.

I was suffering on it during my whole life!
tlchost wrote:So, what's the magic formula? 60/40, 70/30 ?

Of course whatever it is, the folks that don't win will find some way to complain.
The magic formula is: 100/100 !

Since the government should represent all the citizens of a country it should act also on behalf of all citizens - not just for those who have won any election.

And if a majority is just too stupid to understand the simplest necessities, a minority should indicate the direction.

The main problem on everything that people do is always: to win and to lose. Most voters do not vote according to their convictions but do vote pondering which party probably has best chances to win. Because they want to be on the winner's side and not on the loser's side.

So it is there for political issues and also for economical issues.

I would prefer a dictatorship of a wise dictator instead of the stupidness of democratic majorities.

Unfortunately there hasn't ever been a wise dictator and it seems there is no wise dictator in sight for a probably foreseeable future.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Evil20071

#20 Post by Evil20071 »

I find this amusing. I don't usually have discussions about politics, yet here we are in one. :lol:

Now, I will say that I agree that, to some extent, it should be possible to let everyone have their cake and eat it, too, however, there has not recently been a consensus within the walls of either the House of Representatives nor the Senate to be able to do so. The lines between the Republicans and the Democrats, while becoming somewhat blurred, have become so far separated that true bi-partisanship within the main governing bodies of the US is basically non-existent and probably won't be for a long time. I know that the vast majority of the country will blame whoever the current President happens to be at any given time (Obama for now) for all their problems, but they fail to understand that the President actually doesn't get the final say in any decision making process within the government. The President can be vetoed by majority vote of the House of Representatives, which is something that most of the country fails to realize. Also, the President isn't the one who writes laws, only the one whose signature is required for the law to be put into effect. Also, having the Senate be a Democratic Majority, and the House of Representatives be a Republican Majority, there isn't any real progress going to be made on anything. When the House sends a bill to the Senate, or the other way around, thanks to the afore-mentioned lack in bipartisanship, the bill will get dropped as soon as it is received. So, who do we really have to thank for the current state of the country? The President? No. The body of Congress? Absolutely. Remember, the government shut down because Congress couldn't agree on a budget.