(solved) can't boot HP G60-535DX laptop, Startup Repair loop

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
nubc

(solved) can't boot HP G60-535DX laptop, Startup Repair loop

#1 Post by nubc »

This difficult repair started with a PUP infection, namely crawler.com, which was a gateway for a few other apps like the rogue AV Spyware Clear. I used some fairly reliable tools to remove these programs. Things were working good, but there were issues. First, I got a BSOD every time the laptop timed out to sleep mode. Then I started getting BSOD when I tried to access the internet with newly installed Firefox 34. I sort of gave up, and tried to re-install Win 7. The installation from the recovery partition crashed, saying that the recovery software was corrupted. From here on I have experienced a non-booting condition, which I have gradually improved. At this point I would like to digress, to mention that had I known I could generate installation disks from Win7 OS, I would have created those install disks from desktop. To that end, ie, creating original install disks, I would still like to recover the current installation. In the meantime, I have created a Win 7 x64 Home Premium disk from which I can reach Recovery Console on this laptop. When I booted up normally, the laptop stopped on error 0xc000000f, B&W text, saying boot selection failed. I ran chkdsk /r which caught some errors the first time, but not since. There was a problem that Windows Recovery did not recognize the version of Windows ("Microsoft Setup") on the main partition (#1). I solved this by making the partition active with Diskpart. Now, Windows Recovery sees Window7 in this partition. After the the partition was made Active, I ceased getting error 0xe0ef0003, but now the laptop runs Startup Repair, whether there is a disk in the tray or not, which repair fails and requires Reboot. However, it still persists after it fails, because I cannot run sfc /scannow because there is a pending operation, presumably Startup Repair, which requires reboot in order to run sfc. I cannot get into Safe Mode under these conditions, where I am advised to disable Automatic Restart On System Failure. I have run three bootrec commands to rebuild MBR, Boot, and BCD, but no joy there either. Naturally, I would like to overcome this inability to boot. From what I read it's a common problem, causing a lot of frustration. Suggestions welcome.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 03 Dec 2014, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
ardvark

Re: can't boot HP G60-535DX laptop, Win7 Startup Repair loop

#2 Post by ardvark »

nubc wrote:The installation from the recovery partition crashed, saying that the recovery software was corrupted.
I really don't think a PUP infection would cause this. I would first recommend getting the hard drive diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your drive and check the disk for errors. If the disk is failing, trying to revive the OS for the long term wouldn't be worth the time. If there are files that you need to save, take it to a repair shop that offers data recovery services, unless you are able to do this on your own. :wink:
nubc wrote:Suggestions welcome.
Likewise, please let me know what the results are from the diagnostic utility. :wink:

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]
Evil20071

#3 Post by Evil20071 »

Ah... Something I've dealt with, albeit several years ago...

I'm going to run under the assumption that this machine is Win 7 Pro or higher. I'm also going to assume you have a copy of Puppy somewhere (I hope).

Boot up into Puppy and open GParted. You will notice your primary Windows partition, your Recovery partition, and your Boot partition. First thing's first, check your flags on each partition and ensure the proper flags are set. (Recovery partition is set with diag, Boot with boot, etc... )

Check that and if possible, provide a screenshot.

More information on disk flags can be found here.
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]
nubc

#4 Post by nubc »

This is not my laptop. I'm fixing it for free for a friend. The OS was unsalvagable, so I clean-installed Win7. During the process, the partitioning was problematic, so I had to use Puppy's GParted to clean it up. At some point during the partitioning, there was a notification that the hard drive had a bad sector. Not sure if the partition editor was GParted or Window's editor. But once GParted cleaned up the structure, the installation went very smoothly. I will advise my friend of the possible hard drive issue, but it is beyond my mission and means to replace it. I've learned a lot from this job, and acquired some very useful software tools.
infromthepound

#5 Post by infromthepound »

I've just had the same problems with a mate's desktop running XP
I tried various diagnostic programs from Hiren's and UBCD Most said nothing wrong on the hard drive (Including M$'s own) but one surface scanner said 3 bad sectors early, probably the problem
I forget what I ran, but it fixed the problem
JB
Evil20071

#6 Post by Evil20071 »

If it's a bad sector, in a Windows command prompt run the following:

Code: Select all

chkdsk /r C:
This forces CHKDSK to scan the disk and repairs/reroutes bad sectors on the disk. I'm not 100% sure, but I would run this from within the recovery console, not the OS.
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]
mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

From reading this it does suggest hardware.

HP use cheap components nowadays unfortunately plus add the abuse a standard windows 7 install gives them and 2.5 inch drives are pretty flimsy at best in machines the get flat batteries and its early failure time.

You may be flogging a dead horse (or drive ) in this case and you will simply go from one error to another especially as you have already gone down the reinstall route.

mike
ardvark

#8 Post by ardvark »

nubc wrote:I will advise my friend of the possible hard drive issue, but it is beyond my mission and means to replace it. I've learned a lot from this job, and acquired some very useful software tools.
Cool! Please mark this thread as "SOLVED" if you would, if there is nothing else. :)

Regards...