tahrpup 6.0, 6.0.2 & 6.0.5 CE

Please post any bugs you have found
rcrsn51

#421 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Mike Walsh: Right-click on /initrd/pup_rw and check the ownership. Is it still root:root? If not, run

Code: Select all

chown root:root  /initrd/pup_rw
Mike Walsh

#422 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ 666philb:-

That's sorted it out, Phil. Cheers for that. Do you mean to tell me that TeamViewer 10 comes with its OWN 'wineserver'? I guess that accounts for the conflicts, then...

@rcrsn51:-

Yes, ownership's still holding. Even after 3 re-boots. It seems to have sorted everything out by doing that

chmod 755 /initrd/pup_rw
in the terminal. Mind you, I'm still pretty ignorant about the way Puppy's structure works. What IS the /initrd directory for? What's its function?

You never learn anything if you don't ask.....

Regards,

Mike. :wink:
bigpup

#423 Post by bigpup »

After updating using the 6.0.2 service pack.

Quickpet->Info

There is no Quickpet update anymore.
Attachments
capture18530.png
(46.71 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
Mike Walsh

#424 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, bigpup.

There's a quite simple explanation for that. If you go into Quickpet, then 'Help'>'Installed bugfixes', it'll open up the listing for what Phil's done with the service packs. Look a few lines down (this is from the first version of 6.02 a few days ago; Phil pulled it to check it over for permissions problems after I told him what had happened with Chrome & CUPS (long story!), and re-released it a day or two back).

If you look a few lines down, you'll see where it says:-

'11/02/15 - now a single update button in quickpet'

I think Phil's combined the two buttons into one, 'cos if you click on the Tahr bugfix button, it also updates quickpet as well.

Regards,

Mike. :)
Attachments
Update Button.png
(80.58 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Mike Walsh

#425 Post by Mike Walsh »

Curiouser & curiouser.....

@666philb, rcrsn51:-

Can't quite figure this one out. I have three installs of Tahrpup in total.

1) Frugal on the Compaq desktop's hard drive
2) " on the Dell laptop's hard drive, and
3) A portable, flash-drive install, on an 8 GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Blade'.

I did the same thing with all 3 of them the other night; upgraded to 6.02, then downloaded & installed the 'current-stable' version of Google-Chrome.

Now, this is where it gets a wee bit odd. I implemented the suggestion of

chmod 755 /initrd/pup_rw 
on the Compaq and the Dell yesterday, and it's fixed the problem with CUPS, and the problem I had with Samba-TNG, on both of those. Now, trying to straighten up the flash-drive install, neither the above, NOR rcrsn51's suggestion of

chown root:root /initrd/pup_rw 
seems to be making a scrap of difference. CUPS is still giving '500 : Internal Server Error', and Samba-TNG (I have Samba on this one as well; sometimes I run it off the Compaq, just for the hell of it, and want it to be able to 'feed' the Dell) is still showing 'Hidden@pupserver', when I try to access the shares with YASSM.

Does the fact that this is a flash install mean that I need different instructions for correcting the permissions?

Regards,

Mike. :?
rcrsn51

#426 Post by rcrsn51 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Does the fact that this is a flash install mean that I need different instructions for correcting the permissions?
Probably. The layered filesystem is different in a flash drive install.

Once the filesystem gets corrupted, your best bet is to start over.
Mike Walsh

#427 Post by Mike Walsh »

@rcrsn51:-

Fair enough! That's about what I expected, to be honest; but it's nice to get confirmation. It'll take me about an hour to re-do everything... :D

Cheers.

Regards,

Mike.
augras

#428 Post by augras »

Hi,
Thanks rcrsn51 and Mike Walsh : i just need sec=ntlm in options field and everything works fine. I never use this option before.
Philippe
Last edited by augras on Mon 16 Feb 2015, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
dannistim

“Get LibreOffice

#429 Post by dannistim »

First, I'm a puppy noob but I've been using ubuntu since intrepid and solaris as an IC layout designer before that.

tahrpup 6.0.2 pae on a USB HD FAT32 partition using grub2 to boot. All puppy files are on /mnt/home/boot/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE
Hardware is an ASUS 1018p Eeepc netbook

The “Menu --> “Office
bigpup

#430 Post by bigpup »

Mike Walsh,

Thanks for the information.
If you go into Quickpet, then 'Help'>'Installed bugfixes',
If you look a few lines down, you'll see where it says:-

'11/02/15 - now a single update button in quickpet'
We are suppose to read "installed bug fixes" :?: :shock:

I better learn to read first :idea: :oops: :D
YaPI(any iso installer)
666philb

Re: “Get LibreOffice

#431 Post by 666philb »

[quote="dannistim"]
The “Menu --> “Office
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331
bigpup

#432 Post by bigpup »

dannistim,

Tried the menu->Document-> "Get Libreoffice" and it worked for me too.

This is probably the one you want, because it should be the full version from Libreoffice web site.

The menu>>exit>>rebuild-menus is just something that you need to get use to having to do sometimes.
Getting menu entries is not always automatic.
Some program packages may not even provide menu entries. Especially ones from non Puppy repositories.

You may also need Java.
You can get it from Quickpet->Internet

On your Grub2 menu entry you may want to remove pfix=nocopy
pfix=nocopy (do not copy .sfs to RAM (faster boot, slower running)
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 16 Feb 2015, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)
dannistim

#433 Post by dannistim »

this is really frustrating I loaded the sfs by navigating to it in ROX I clicked on it and selected install then typed

root# libreoffice4.4
bash: libreoffice4.4: command not found

and received the above error message. I don't understand why its not there. I tried this two ways first, by selecting it in the bootmanager and rebooting. I then deselected in boot manager, rebooted and directly clicked on it to load. It works with other sfs files. i've tried two different libreoffice sfs files and neither do anything. no libre-anything visible anywhere on my filesystem when they're loaded!

rebuild menus does nothing libre wise. no libre apps show up anywhere in the filesystem except for my windows portable app

why is it doing this???

[quote="666philb"][quote="dannistim"]
The “Menu --> “Office
dannistim

#434 Post by dannistim »

None of this explains why when I loaded the libreoffice metapackage from the ubuntu repository it also produced a defective libre office complete with no menu entries. At least then it was visible in the filesystem. Why does that happen? Are you actually compatible with ubuntu?
bigpup

#435 Post by bigpup »

Lets get back to a known condition.

First have you made a save file or folder when you did the first shutdown of Tahrpup?
I suggest using the save folder.
Tahrpup will use this save file/folder when you next boot it.
This saves any changes you make to Tahrpup.

I would delete all the Libreoffice stuff you have and start over.
Do a reboot just to make sure it is all out of memory.

Use menu->Document-> "Get Libreoffice". and download the version you want.
This should place the LibreOffice.sfs in /mnt/home

If you do all the steps, it should give you a loaded SFS of LibreOffice.

Run menu>>exit>>rebuild-menus.

Now you should have menu->Document->LibreOffice4.4

You do have at least 512MB of memory in this computer?
LibreOffice is a large program when loaded.
YaPI(any iso installer)
bigpup

#436 Post by bigpup »

dannistim wrote:None of this explains why when I loaded the libreoffice metapackage from the ubuntu repository it also produced a defective libre office complete with no menu entries. At least then it was visible in the filesystem. Why does that happen? Are you actually compatible with ubuntu?
Yes they are compatable to a point, but they where not compiled for Puppy.
They usually need other dependency files or programs.
When using Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.
PPM may automatically do this for you. It depends on how you have PPM configured.
YaPI(any iso installer)
mavrothal

#437 Post by mavrothal »

@dannistim
Libreoffice 4.4 from "get libreoffice" and libreoffice 4.2.7 writer from the ubuntu repo, installed with no issues for me, apart from the suggested fixmenus command.
Libreoffice has desktop files and executables in /usr/local/share/applications and /usr/local/bin. Any change that there is an issue with your /usr/local folder or PATH?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==
Mike Walsh

#438 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, dannistim.

Like other folk who've answered you, I too can't quite understand the problem you're having with LibreOffice...but it rather sounds like the ONLY reason you tried Puppy at ALL, was because you thought it would be like Ubuntu..... Am I right?

I got my install simply by clicking on the entry for Libre Office under "Office & other apps" in the Quickpet Installer; didn't use the 'Get LibreOffice' menuentry under 'Document'. I've done a few installs of Tahrpup since I first tried it, as various things have got broken or messed-up beyond repair....all part of the learning curve; Puppy's a wee bit different to the 'buntus!

I've saved all my .sfs files into a separate directory on my external HDD, and have simply copied them over each time. They've always just 'worked'.

You won't find entries for Libre Office in just one menu location; they're spread out over three or four menu categories, thus:-

Graphics - Draw & Impress
Document - Writer & the main Libre Office entry
Business - Base, Calc & Math

This is bog standard; where Puppy has put the menu entries. I haven't bothered to re-order the menu, because I'm quite happy with them where they are.....and I never launch off the menu anyway.

I drag the relevant launchers from /usr/bin onto the desktop, edit them on the right-click menu, and then dress them up with an icon. I have an entire library full of .png images, culled from Google searches, that I use on the right-click 'File (or Sym-Link) xxxxx'>'Set icon'.

I also spare myself the aggravation of trying to get Grub2 working by using the supplied 'Grub4Dos' installer, in the 'System' menu-entry, down toward the bottom. It's designed to work with Puppy, and has been optimized for that very purpose. When working with Puppy, frankly, Grub2 is simply an enormous PITA. It works well with the 'buntus (I run Ubuntu myself), but it doesn't seem to recognise Puppy in any way, shape or form. I'm no expert, but I believe it has something to do with Puppy's somewhat unique construction.

(I'm willing to be corrected on this one..!)

Don't forget, too, that you're working in Puppy as root all the time. This sounds terribly like Windows, and dreadfully unsafe, but because of Puppy's unusual structure it's no more dangerous than any other O/S...

http://puppylinux.com/technical/root.htm

Regards,

dannistim

libreoffice sfs from menu broken

#439 Post by dannistim »

I finally got it working

First, I re-verified the md5 of my ISO. Second, I re-verifed the md5 of each constituent file I extracted from the ISO to the ISO. All OK but it stops me from chasing my tail if there was a broken file.

First, I failed to tell you earlier that I had started with a fresh save file after each libreoffice failure. I then updated to the latest version and installed all the bugfixes, then I attempted to use the get libreoffice menu selection. I had always selected no to "build in ram"

This time I finally got it working. I started out with a fresh save file once again but this time I did no updates and chose build in ram. I'm not sure what was the difference. I'll try each separately and see if one is the failure point.
dannistim

#440 Post by dannistim »

Mike, you're absolutely right. I expected that if it works off the ubuntu repositories that programs installed from the package manager would just work no shenanigans, no workarounds, etc. and I could get on with why I was using a computer which was not to play with Linux, although that's always a bonus. I actually came from mint having gone that way when ubuntu went with their goofy side panel dock thingy.

regards,

Tim
Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, dannistim.

Like other folk who've answered you, I too can't quite understand the problem you're having with LibreOffice...but it rather sounds like the ONLY reason you tried Puppy at ALL, was because you thought it would be like Ubuntu..... Am I right?