Built-in package remover should remove application folders

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
johnywhy

Built-in package remover should remove application folders

#1 Post by johnywhy »

i've used puppy for years, but not an expert. this suggestion might not make sense to experts.

suggestion: the 'built-in package uninstaller' should remove application folders, to free up space.

I think this means removing them from the squash files?

i've been told this does not currently happen.

example, i used the 'built-in package uninstaller' in Carolina 1.3 to uninstall LibreOffice and Skype. But, gdmap shows there's still a skype app folder of about 30 Mb, and several libreoffice folders, total about 100 Mb.

my goal is of course a smaller puppy.

Regarding risk of deleting user-files:

-- imo, applications SHOULD (and probably DO, mostly) separate app folders from user-data folders. IMO, puppy should enforce this-- maybe already does?

-- Users SHOULD (and probably DO, mostly) store personal files in a Documents folder, or a drive that is separate from application and system folders.

thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

after using the 'remove builtin packages' feature on a frugal puppy you will then need to use 'remaster puppy live CD' to actually remove the packages from the puppy.sfs.

just using 'remove builtin packages' without then re-mastering actually adds files to puppy making it a tiny bit bigger :D

on a full install the packages would actually be removed without having to remaster
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

johnywhy

#3 Post by johnywhy »

thx, that's very helpful!

i'm guessing to manually remove the folders from a frugal, i woud have to edit the sfs files? i cannot figure out how to do that. Convert/extract froze on me :(
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 935#834935

remastering would be great! but having problems with remastering
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 750#834750

and i cannot do a full hard disk installation for some reason.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98271
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

If you have a frugal install, you will probably also have a save file. So use the remove builtin packages from menu for the applications you want to remove. These changes will be "recorded" in your save file and next time you reboot those applications will be removed from your menu (but it will still be part of the ISO and thus part of the operating system). To remove it permanently, you will have to do a remaster (you can use remaster puppy live cd from menu). Your new remastered iso (and new base SFS) will then have all the permanent changes.

If you want to edit an SFS yourself, you can use the EditSFS utility.

johnywhy

#5 Post by johnywhy »

Thx for that!

Have recently done some leana Lina-Lite remasters. Excited about that.

But still have not braved the part about modifying the innards of puppy, just accepted the defaults, mostly. Pretty whimpy of me :/

Will following the defaults in remaster slim down the pupsave, and clear out uninstalled detritus?

Thx!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

The built-in programmes are part of the base SFS and not your savefile (your savefile will record configuration changes to these programmes though). To get rid of them you need to run the remove built-in programmes utility before doing a remaster.

Programmes that you install yourself will be saved in the savefile as well as anything else you save in / or /root will be recorded/saved in the savefile. So, if you want to get rid of programmes you have installed yourself or things you have saved as mentioned above, you will need to uninstall them first running the package manager (ie. For the programmes you have installed yourself and want to uninstall) or delete them (if it is other data you have stored). After that you do your remaster.
Last edited by nic007 on Wed 25 Mar 2015, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

johnywhy

#7 Post by johnywhy »

Thx for info about removing files i installed.

But how do i remove built-in programs, and remove their leftover remnant folders and files?

thank you.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

Check my edited post above

johnywhy

#9 Post by johnywhy »

ok, thx
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

Just for clarification - the remove built-in utiliy does not remove the programmes you want to remove but records this in your savefile (by a process called "white-out" of files). After doing this, you can reboot and then your remaster. The remaster process will then exclude all of these white-out files/directories resulting in a new base SFS file.

johnywhy

#11 Post by johnywhy »

appreciate the clarification. bit by bit, i'll understand more.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]