Cant boot from USB

Booting, installing, newbie
valdeg

Cant boot from USB

#1 Post by valdeg »

Hello guys. Im using Kingston data traveler to make bootable USB stick.
I tried ultra ISO, Unetbootin also Pendrivelinux. Last time I tried to make bootable usb in windows console. But every time I try to boot from USB i see message - "Missing operating system" or "Cant load operating system". Any suggestions?

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Welcome to the forum Valdeg.

Kingston's aren't the best for this purpose but, which Pup were you trying to install on the drive?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Galbi

#3 Post by Galbi »

Semme wrote:Kingston's aren't the best for this purpose but, which Pup were you trying to install on the drive?
In the mist of times, i recall that also had trouble with a Kingston pendrive and that had to do something with this tool (in Windows): https://sites.google.com/site/gbrtools/ ... nformation

It was long ago, too much for my half-core head to remember... :D

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Based on what I've read over the years, they sound fickle.

At any rate, Valdeg should also tell us the existing file system and which utility was used to format the stick.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, valdeg.

Like Semme, I've also heard ambiguous 'mutterings' about Kingston sticks over the years. And as he says, we do need to know what fs the stick's been formatted with.....and what utility was used to do so.

I find SanDisks to work perfectly for this purpose; both Cruzer 'Blades' and the nano 'Fit' spring to mind. I ran 'Tahrpup' from a 'Fit' for several months...no problems that I can recall.

A couple of these are usually, I find, a very worthwhile investment...and SanDisks are normally very reasonably priced.

Regards,

Mike. :)
Attachments
PICT0002.JPG
SanDisk 'sticks'...
(36.32 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

slavvo67

#6 Post by slavvo67 »

We have a long thread about USB drives somewhere in this mess of board. Anyway, PNY has worked perfectly at least 95% of the time. Just make sure to go for 8GB or more. I'm up to the 32GB to make sure there's always enough room.

Slavvo67

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Are you sure you are selecting the correct device to boot from?

My Dell computer has several device options for booting from USB.

USB hard drive
USB disk drive
USB LS drive

Nothing about a USB flash drive.

USB hard drive works for USB flash drive.

Not trying to use a USB hub?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Also, the boot flag of the partition (in your case, probably the entire Kingston USB flash drive) must be set. You can do that by booting any Puppy CD, then plugging in the Kingston drive but not mounting it, starting Menu -> xxx -> Gparted (xxx means you might have to look for Gparted in subdirectories) and using Gparted to set the boot flag of the partition (or drive) you want to boot from.

tigersong

#9 Post by tigersong »

You can also try using Live Linux USB Creator... I'll have the link in a jiffy.
Here you go.

8Geee

#10 Post by 8Geee »

Agree with Mike Walsh

Using the SDCruzer Fit USB2 here, and they are a bit faster than older USB2 sticks (55sec vs 85sec Power-button --> desktop). Look around on e-tailers and ebay, there have been a few bargains like $5US 8Gb's, 2 for $15 16Gb's, etc. Its getting.... dare I say... back2school time.Might be a few bargains coming around.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

bones01

#11 Post by bones01 »

To add to this conversation, I've been able to create a bootable USB with Puppy Precise. I downloaded the .iso and then downloaded Untebootin all on a macbook air. This set things up nicely, and worked amazingly well and now my HP laptop lives and breathes again.

I assume you have changed the start up order on the computer to load the USB first.

Also, and I don't know if it's relevant here, I first tried to use puppy pfix=ram but got a similar message to yours. When I just let it run, it loaded fine.

Good luck.

valdeg

#12 Post by valdeg »

Hello,
Kingston's aren't the best for this purpose but, which Pup were you trying to install on the drive?
I tried to install Tahrpup 6.0 CE and the last Quirky Release. In Kingston website I read article that those USB sticks are not designed to be bootable, more like data storages, but anyway, it was possible to boot from it using Slax, Debian and Ubuntu distros. (I tried only them).
At any rate, Valdeg should also tell us the existing file system and which utility was used to format the stick.
USB is formatted in FAT filesystem. To format I used standart software in Win 8.1, also tried Gnome disc utility in Ubuntu.
Are you sure you are selecting the correct device to boot from?
For sure, mistake is somewhere else =)

Looks like I should try Live Linux USB Creator, maybe this one can be helpful.

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

forum burp...but while i am editing anyone have a source of full sized one or 2 GB sdcards at a sensible price for an old camera...something solid like kingston preferably. Seems like they are getting hard to find and the older gear cannot handle SDHC

mike
Last edited by mikeb on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

"Missing operating system" or "Cant load operating system". Any suggestions?
sounds like an absense of an mbr really.. Since you have booted such as slax ok what was changed since then.,

Eg did you use a puppy wizard for grub but perhaps chose partition or somthing that wants a partition boot sector ..stuff like that could easily fail.

grub4dos mbr from bootlace.com /dev/sdb is a good one to try..no boot sectors needed then or boot flags though th ebios may want the latter.
syslinux wants some kind of windows like mbr to link to the partition boot sector...so back to mbr time.

Don't think its the kernel...its simply not getting that far.

By the way I have a 2GB kingston stick that boots XP and 2000 using the windows boot mbr plus ntldr.... still working after several years :)

mike

8Geee

#15 Post by 8Geee »

mikeb

everyones fave Richard Hed security site ebay has these. About US$3 each shipped to US.

But if you want real ones look here.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Ah thanks 8Geee

yes the micro ones seem the only ones left though I am not too keen with the adapters that may have to be the way.

4GB will not work... this olde camera can take 2GB max..pre SDHC.....

but its a great solid camera .... subjectively takes better images than our much more recent nikon.

thanks for the info

mike

valdeg

#17 Post by valdeg »

Well, thanks for all, problem was solved easily, just messed with boot modes in bios and it started working. For some reason all distros was booting correctly instead of Puppy.