usb help(not booting)

Booting, installing, newbie
jjholly

usb help(not booting)

#1 Post by jjholly »

:oops: When i plug something like my usb stick into one of the usb ports the little light dosent flash on it and it dosent show n the mount thing. I no it gives out power as i have a usb light i can use in there. I dont no what version im useing how do i find out.

Ganymedes

#2 Post by Ganymedes »

Do you perhaps mean that you cannot see the contents of the stick? If so you need to "mount" it first. Use a tool to mount it, like MUT (Media Utility Tool - the icon is a flash disk). When you mount it, ROX will kick in and show a directory listing.

Or perhaps you mean something else?

There is a file "/etc/puppyversion" which will show you the version - like "211" for 2.11.

jjholly

#3 Post by jjholly »

Now i meen that the usb ports only give power and not data like it will charge something but not send stuff to it. I all so hav a usb pci card that doesnt even give out power it may be busted. Thnaks anyway.

Ganymedes

#4 Post by Ganymedes »

OK. Well, Pentium II level computers do not necessarily (or mostly) work with the newer USB sticks (usb 2.0). You need to find an USB 1.1 level, possibly an old, usb stick. Or you could have a new USB 2.0 card in your computer.

Is this your case then ?

jjholly

#5 Post by jjholly »

Well yes it is a P2 and i used to have win98(the stick worked on there) on there but i have done a full hd wipe. The usb ports are the ones on the motherboard also i hav a usb 1/1.1 (notshure) pci card that when pluged in doesnt give out power or data. So are you saying that even though usb 2 is backwords with 1.1 it wont work on this old pc.

Ganymedes

#6 Post by Ganymedes »

jjholly wrote:So are you saying that even though usb 2 is backwords with 1.1 it wont work on this old pc.
Yes, this is exacatly what I mean. On my old Pentium II's none of the 2.0 flash disks that I have bought during last 2 years or so, do not work and it says so (in Windows XP/2000). So, I have preserved one old flash disk, which does work.

(Well, this is not an exact science, I think, since USB HARD DISKS have two other choices of "not working properly" - they may say that they need more power - but they still work OR b) they may say that they work slower (because of usb 1.1) - well, this latter choice is actually as it should be in that case).

You are correct - the place were you plug it in, might matter also. The connectors on the motherboard itself are the best ones.

None of this explains why it worked in Win 98 though. Are you sure that you are using exactly the same slot ? You know, there might be different type of slots in the back of the computer - or faulty slots or something ?

... on the other hand, a new USB 2.0 PCI-card is not expensive ...

Eh ... if you have problems in that, you may want to try different PCI-slots ... they are not equal in (some, most?) Pentium II motherboards ... or there may be some old-fashioned ways of disabling/enabling the PCI-slots individually in the BIOS. Well, maybe you do not run into any of that stuff in reality ... just telling you this because you said you had already problems with PCI-cards.

Ganymedes

#7 Post by Ganymedes »

If you are still working with this ... I found one model of modern usb flash disks that actually works with my old PII-level computers. That is Kingston DataTraveler. I have 1 Gb model. There seems to be different power requirements with different usb flash disks - even according to their packages.

jjholly

#8 Post by jjholly »

Thanks i think i no why i doesnt work because i had to install puppy on the hd on a different newer pc as the old one doesnt boot from cd so i need to dig out some floppy disks(might hav to bye some) then make a wakpuppy floppy and boot from there and reinstall.