SCIM Chinese input problem

Booting, installing, newbie
over_soul

SCIM Chinese input problem

#1 Post by over_soul »

Hi all,
I haven't wrote in quite a while, but now I've once again ran into a problem and I dived right back to the forum.
Now the problem - I've installed SCIM and SCIM bridge and even SCIM bridge qt - all from the ubuntu repositories (I'm running Precise Puppy).And it doesn't work. It is there - it is configured with pinyin installed. But it doesn't start. And it doesn't respond to control+space. One thing to have in mind - I'm using KDE as my default WM. I also have 2 other layouts (English and Bulgarian), which I manage with the xfce xkbd manager.
I need to fix it, because I'm preparing a portable puppy (in a VM) for my wife (and she is Chinese), which I intend to later make into bootable usb and a DVD for personal use. I myself use puppy from time to time, but my main OS is Ubuntu. However I need this pup to revive an old Lenovo laptop, which my wife is using for studying. And is a great way to convert her to Linux, because she's hardened windows user (thus the KDE desktop).

So, please - help me make SCIM work!
Thanks in advance!

over_soul

#2 Post by over_soul »

Small update:
I installed iBus - I even configured it with Chinese. But it doesn't start. I am starting to wonder what is wrong..
When I start "ibus-deamon --xim" from the terminal something flashes in my taskbar and than disappear. But the program doesn't die, nor does it give any output. It keeps running, just it doesn't do anything.

To sum it up - I have trouble making iBus and SCIM work. I know for a fact SCIM should work (at least - by some random chance it ran fine few days ago, when I was experimenting with slacko puppy (again for the same project).

Any ideas? I am getting desperate here.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

What version of Precise?

Anything show up for these programs if you check them in the menu->Setup-> Check Dependencies installed packages?

Tahrpup 6.0.2 can use Ubuntu repositories.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

over_soul

#4 Post by over_soul »

Bigpup, thanks for the reply!
The dependencies were fine (I checked them). But the packages didn't work. However I just solved my problem by uninstalling everything connected to scim and iBus and installing the packages described here:

Code: Select all

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToSetUpScim?redirect=no
Now everything is 很好 (very good). Well, at least in libre office and geany. Still doesn't work in Chrome for some reason, but here is too late and I'll tackle that tomorrow. If in the meanwhile anyone here has an idea about that - please share your opinion.

over_soul

#5 Post by over_soul »

Final update!
Managed to start chrome with SCIM support - I ran it from terminal with this command:

Code: Select all

GTK_IM_MODULE=xim XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" chromium-browser
Now if only I could remember how to make that permanent...