How to change default viewer for .pdf files?

Booting, installing, newbie
Relztrah

How to change default viewer for .pdf files?

#1 Post by Relztrah »

When I double-click a .png file it will open with Viewnior which is packaged with Tahrpup. I installed Foxit PDF viewer to use with .pdf files and want it as my default .pdf viewer.

In my Default Applications Chooser there is no option for Foxit in the drop-down menu for PDF viewer, so I typed in root/FoxitSoftware/RoxitReader/FoxitReader.desktop but that's not working. In fact that must not be the correct path because it does not save in the PDF viewer field in my Default Applications Chooser when I type in that path and click Apply.

How do I 1) make Foxit my default PDF viewer, and 2) cause it to open when I double-click on a .pdf file?

Thank you for your help.
ebisu

#2 Post by ebisu »

Sufficiently explained here: The Set Run Action box
april

#3 Post by april »

Also " Open with" shows up and if you choose " customise" you can add any chosen program , usually found in /usr/bin/ , and it will then appear in the offered list of programs each time.
Relztrah

How to change default viewer for .pdf files? [SOLVED]

#4 Post by Relztrah »

Thank you so much. That's what I needed to know.
Geoffrey

#5 Post by Geoffrey »

Tahr includes Default Application Chooser

Get Default Application Chooser 0.9http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 363#791787
Attachments
dac.png
(55.32 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]
Relztrah

partial success

#6 Post by Relztrah »

I am reviving this thread because I have encountered the same problem when opening a pdf file online. If it click on a pdf file from a webpage, Foxit launches, but does not open the file. This despite the fact that Evince is selected in Default Application Chooser.

However if I click on a pdf file in a directory, Evince indeed opens the file. Foxit only launches when I click on a pdf file from a webpage where I don't have the option to right click and use the "open with" option.

In fact, I would like like uninstall Foxit if possible. I like it with Windows, but it has proven unsatisfactory with Linux.
Attachments
DAC11-15.png
(38.22 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
rufwoof

#7 Post by rufwoof »

In my /root/Choices/MIME-types folder my application_pdf file content points to exec epdfview "$1" i.e. any local pdf file is opened with epdfview. In firefox EDIT, PREFERENCES, APPLICATIONS the 'Portable Document Format' (i.e. PDF) has 'Preview in Firefox' set. There's a drop down menu against that with a number of other choices that can be set. Between those two (or similar for other browsers) you can define how pdf's are handled locally or from within the browser.
Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Correct. As Rufwoof has stated, "dependent upon and defined by" your browser.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
Relztrah

SOLVED...once again

#9 Post by Relztrah »

Thank you. Yes, it was in my Pale Moon settings.
CGP

Change default .pdf viewer in Pale Moon

#10 Post by CGP »

It is not in my Pale Moon settings.

I am using Pale Moon v. 25.8.1. That is the version of Pale Moon that comes bundled with Tahr puppy 6.0.5 PAE. If I go to Edit->Preferences->Applications->PDF File and change the setting to "Use Evince", then when I click on a pdf file on some website in Pale Moon, the resulting window does not give the option to Open the pdf file. Only to download it. And there is no "Preview in Pale Moon" setting in the ...->PDF File preferences.

Before I changed that setting, the window resulting from clicking on a pdf file in Pale Moon did give me the choice to Open or Save. But if I wanted to Open, I had to Browse to Evince for each and every pdf I wanted to Open. That is inconvenient.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

You've gotta choose what to open it with once before PM gives you the drop-down and option.

If it's not working for each instance, make sure the file Rufwoof referenced contains the correct exec line.
Attachments
easy_peasy.jpg
(55.43 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
CGP

#12 Post by CGP »

You've gotta choose what to open it with once before PM gives you the drop-down and option.
Do you mean choose what to open it with in the Open-or-Save-the-pdf window? I have chosen Evince several times in that window and doing so does not change anything.

Also, in ~/Choices/MIME-types/application_pdf, I have tried

exec epdfview "$1"
and
exec evince "$1"
and
exec defaultpdfviewer "1"

Also, in /usr/share/applications/defaults.list I have tried

application/pdf=epdfview.desktop
and
application/pdf=evince.desktop

Still not working. Any more thoughts?
CGP

#13 Post by CGP »

Hold on! Maybe it is actually working. I'll get back to you after dinner.
CGP

#14 Post by CGP »

Yes!

Pale Moon is working as I want it to: When I click on a link to a pdf file in Pale Moon, I get the window which asks if I want to Open or Save; and Evince is the default pdf viewer. The setup which works is this:

~/Choices/MIME-types/application_pdf contains
exec evince "$1"

and

/usr/share/applications/defaults.list contains
application/pdf=evince.desktop

and in Pale Moon,

Edit->Preferences->Applications->PDF File is set to "Always Ask".

Thanks for the help!
Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

Hey, keep the default action "open" and you can still rt-clk, "save link as..." to dwnld. :wink: