How can I make an sfs of my xampp installation?

Using applications, configuring, problems
OscarTalks

#21 Post by OscarTalks »

panoss wrote:Is there some way I can make an image (or something) of this installation?
I'm sure there is but I normally use frugals. I will leave that to someone who has had experience of it to advise you.

What I really want to know is, have you succeeded in doing what your original question was about and which people were trying to help you with, ie making an .sfs of a working xampp package?
Oscar in England
Atle

#22 Post by Atle »

@Oscartalks

Pobably its just me who dont see the benefit of having a SFS instead of the xampp installed.

There could be things i am missing here. I never really understood the benefits of SFS due to simple lack of Pupknowledge.

For me this sounds good, as Fatdog gets to fat to boot with Xampp in its belly.
panoss

#23 Post by panoss »

OscarTalks wrote: What I really want to know is, have you succeeded in doing what your original question was about and which people were trying to help you with, ie making an .sfs of a working xampp package?
No I haven't because of the problem I mentioned earlier with PetMaker.
I suppose I 'll have to find all the files (probably I'll look at a xampp installer script) and their locations.
Also, the same I'll have to do with xdebug.
I think it is possible, but It's time consumming.
So I 'll have to find some time and try it.
panoss

#24 Post by panoss »

Atle wrote:Hi panoss

I have installed Xampp into Lupu 5.2.8..7 and its "brother" Sulu004 and Fatdog.

I the use the Bitnami installer from Apache and friends...

Are the installation you do somehow different or becomes smaller i size?

Fatdog became so fat that the remaster will not boot, while the others went perfectly fine.

Atle
Hi Atle.
I also use the Bitnami installer from Apache and friends.
When you say 'different'? Different from what?
My installation of xampp is about 850MB.
panoss

#25 Post by panoss »

Atle wrote:@Oscartalks

Pobably its just me who dont see the benefit of having a SFS instead of the xampp installed.
If I have an sfs (of xampp + xdebug) and something goes wrong,
I unload it and
replace it with the 'original' sfs
load it
and I'm ok.

While with an installed, you can spend hours or days trying to figure out the problem, uninstalling and reinstalling everything and achieving nothing.

At least that's what I think, maybe I 'm wrong, it can only be proved in action.
Atle

#26 Post by Atle »

i thought you where using a different version of xampp without the Bitnami installer.

Cause i have been looking for a way to shrink it as fatdog got to fat to be remastered.

My challenge here is that i want to build one joomla that has a large amount of content. Its like a project i am on to.

But due to the peculiar nature of the project i need to provide differnet puppyes for different hardware specs. So I think about it like this:

Lupu5.2.8.7 for old hardware like minimun 256mb ram
Sulu004(5.2.8.7) for newer hardware, but less than 3 gb ram
Tahrpup XX with PAE for 32 bits with more than 3gb ram
Fatdog for 64 bits
( solution for 486 is also planned)

Now the challenge is for me that with a large amount of content in the joomla i might need to look at 3 different SFS files

1) Xampp 32 bits
2 Xampp 64 bits
3 Joomla with lots of content(1gb+)

The reason for my initial post is that i am under the impression that SFS aint just to use from the one puppy to another, but that might be where i got it wrong.

The weird thing is that in Lupu the remaster comes out pretty slim, but in Fatdog it grows out of proportions. I need to do some more studying on that issue.

I need to thin space and that is the reason for not just having several huge files, but one large file with the content.

Consider the content in the joomla to be the reason for the entire project, and the puppy /xampp/joomla, the optimal carriers and hopefully "sticky" OS/system.

Added due to you post while I was writing this long one.

I see the benefit and the major challenge might be the permissions as you say.

How do you do your Joomla permission?

I just did the whole folder 777 to push it trough.
OscarTalks

#27 Post by OscarTalks »

Atle wrote:Probably its just me who dont see the benefit of having a SFS instead of the xampp installed.
If you have a frugal it loads a large package outside of pupsave.
There are other ways of doing that though.
Oscar in England
OscarTalks

#28 Post by OscarTalks »

panoss wrote:No I haven't because of the problem I mentioned earlier with PetMaker
The method I described is quick and simple and doesn't need PetMaker, you just create the right directories, copy the lampp folder in and run the dir2sfs script.
Oscar in England
gyro

Re: How can I make an sfs of my xampp installation?

#29 Post by gyro »

panoss wrote:I have a xampp installation and I want to make an sfs out of it in order to be able to use it on other puppy instllations.
Is this possible?
How can I do it?
I used mksquashfs <path_to_directory> <path_to_directory>.sfs -noappend
But it mounts on the root when I load it.
You need to create a directory that contains the whole path to xampp.
e.g. if xampp is installed in "/opt/lampp" then the "/opt" directory needs to be contained within the sfs.
So, create a directory somewhere on a Linux partition, e.g. "/mnt/home/xampp".
Inside "/mnt/home/xampp" create a directory "opt'.
Inside "/mnt/home/xampp/opt" copy the directory "/opt/lampp", giving "/mnt/home/xampp/opt/lampp".
Now mksquashfs the "/mnt/home/xampp" directory.

gyro