New Browser, Perform on Old Pup [SOLVED] Portable SeaMonkey

Using applications, configuring, problems
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#41 Post by Flash »

Some laptops will and some won't. It doesn't cost much or take much time to find out if yours will. Many people report that their Puppy in a laptop seems to save the first session to DVD but then won't reboot, or something like that. Maybe it's that the first session will save and Puppy will reboot, but won't save any more sessions. In any case, it won't cost much to find out if multisession Puppy will run from your laptop. Recordable DVDs cost around ten cents these days. Also, some of the very latest Pups won't do multisession at all. Instead, they remaster, which may be a better option for you if you don't intend to save any more sessions anyway.
Eathray

#42 Post by Eathray »

I've been wanting to try Netsurf just for laughs when I noticed that they had started support for JavaScript (around version 3.4 I think I read) which was suggested earlier on this thread. I found a .pet of 3.6 (latest and greatest) and it installed fine, but gave out the following errors from counsole:

Code: Select all

# netsurf
netsurf: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by netsurf)
netsurf: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.8: no version information available (required by netsurf)
netsurf: symbol lookup error: netsurf: undefined symbol: g_static_resource_init
# 
I actually have the first file so I'm not sure why it doesn't like it. Also, I have no idea what the third complaint means. I'm not sure I've ever seen an 'undefined symbol' error before. Could someone explain what these errors are?

Thanks
rokytnji

#43 Post by rokytnji »

Might help or not.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... efcb082d57

Same error and symlink is mentioned. I have no idea what the error means and my search via forum posts shows no explanation.

Might help on explaining that error. I don't know for sure though.

link
kerl

#44 Post by kerl »

kerl

#45 Post by kerl »

Ouch I noticed that disabling javascript boosts Kmeleon browser on Windows XP. I have to test this on Puppy. Kmeleon has a handy top bar which allows tick/untick boxes to activate/deactivate javascript,images,flash,cookies. These options seem to be hidden in other browsers. Maybe there is an addon for Seamonkey to bring them upfront to the sight.
I reckon this javascript thing must be quite ram/cpu demanding. Besides scripts tend to freeze the browser if they don't get to run at once.
Old dogs miss the static web and java applets :)
Semme

#46 Post by Semme »

Attachments
js_active.jpg
(3.96 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
Eathray

#48 Post by Eathray »

Sorry for my absence the last couple days. Ever notice how you get hit with multiple things at once? I got the flu, the ignition switch on my Jeep went out, and I have a broken water pipe. I might just go to bed and start over next week LOL

Tried K-melon under wine... mmmm... It felt promising at the beginning, but then some things went off about it. Good for normal surfing, but not functional on high security sites like banking, etc. Played with it for a couple days but it gave me a 'need too much work' vibe. dumped. Worth a try, but natives are closer to being functional.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#49 Post by Flash »

Eathray, did you get a flu shot? Are you sure it's the flu and not just a cold? Difficult to tell the difference.
Eathray

#50 Post by Eathray »

Flash

I skipped the shot this year. It hasn't been that good the last couple of years so I blew it off. Probably a mistake LOL. I assume the flu based on the symptoms, but you know... things have changed. When I was a kid, we used to get the stomach flu i.e. gastroenteritis, but I haven't had that in years. Now it's fever, aches, fatigue, etc. Sometimes influenza has the same cold symptoms like stuffy nose and cough etc., but I don't have that going. Got low fever, aches, inflammation, these new flus are weird. They go into your muscles and knot stuff up so you just don't feel like doing nothing.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#51 Post by Flash »

If I remember right, a fever is the flu, no fever is a cold. That could be backwards.
Burn_IT

#52 Post by Burn_IT »

Half right.
Flu is a fever, but a cold (which term covers lots of nasties) may be a fever.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett
Eathray

#53 Post by Eathray »

Hi all,

Sorta getting better here.

Of all the browsers I tried the best thus far is Opera for this older Puppy. I was thinking of closing this thread and starting a new thread focused on the quirky things Opera occasionally does. It's mostly stable, goes to most sites... I'm not sure anything will present itself at the moment that is a better solution.

Does everyone agree? Settle on Opera and try to fix a few of its quirks?
Eathray

#54 Post by Eathray »

Okay well...

Settling on Opera for now. It's not perfect but mostly good. A few quirks that I'll ask for help with in a different thread.

Thanks for everyone's input.
rodocop

#55 Post by rodocop »

Eathray,
sorry but couldn't you share what was the 'high security sites' problems K-Meleon had exactly?

There are very advanced K-Meleon Pro build which is highly tweaked and much more convenient and functional than the official one.

Could you try it too?
Mike Walsh

#56 Post by Mike Walsh »

rodocop wrote:Eathray,
sorry but couldn't you share what was the 'high security sites' problems K-Meleon had exactly?

There are very advanced K-Meleon Pro build which is highly tweaked and much more convenient and functional than the official one.

Could you try it too?
Bloody hell, this thing's weird!

It's all in sodding Russian..! How the hell are you supposed to understand what you're trying to do?

The only reason I was able to post this from K-Meleon at all was through remembering from my distant Windoze days that Copy'n'Paste were Ctrl+X, and Ctrl+V respectively. At least they were marked in the context menu. Totally unintuitive, but, there ya go...

The rest of it? It's so much gibberish..! I can't recommend this.....unless you have a thorough understanding of the Cyrillic alphabet. It's not very logically laid-out, either. Despite experimenting for quite some time, I couldn't even discover how you enable tabs!

Mike. :wink:
rodocop

#57 Post by rodocop »

Bloody hell, this thing's weird!

It's all in sodding Russian..! How the hell are you supposed to understand what you're trying to do?
Hey, comrade, slow down! Image

My bad but it's just 2 prefs away from English. Just try the right package ;-)

And what the problem with tabs? They are enabled by default.

And you always can set it up to you. Any layout. Numerous skins. Movable and editable toolbars.

Finally, K-Meleon is the most Linux-like Windows browser ;-)
Eathray

#58 Post by Eathray »

Rodocop,

Apologies. Didn't see your question before. Some of the dialogue boxes at secure sites would not allow input. I looked into javascript and certificate issues, but it seemed very complex and I just didn't want to continue when Opera is at maybe 90% of what I need. It was worth a try, but felt like a long term deal to make it right. I might revisit the idea later.
Mike Walsh

#59 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, rodocop.

Sorry to come across all negative like that, but not knowing the first thing about Russian (except for recognising the Cyrillic alphabet when I see it) meant I got a less than sterling first impression of K-Meleon...

I've d/l'd the English version, and I'll give it a look-see a bit later on. Thanks for the link, BTW. One question; can you import bookmarks from an HTML file? It seems the only option is to import from IE. That much I did see in the Russian version last night.....which appears to be a peculiar mixture; mostly Russian, although with bits of English popping up in odd places..!!

I'll let you have my impressions tomorrow (or later on); I don't have Eathray's current performance issues (or constraints!)

I still think he's right, though; if only QtWeb didn't have the SSL or certificate issues, it would almost be the perfect fast, ultra-lightweight Linux graphical browser. Shame they abandoned development...

@Eathray:- Have you given up on the idea of upgrading your glibc?

Mike. :wink:
rodocop

#60 Post by rodocop »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hiya, rodocop.
One question; can you import bookmarks from an HTML file? It seems the only option is to import from IE.
In Windows KM supports IE favorites natively (shares them with IE - just needs the IE Favorites module switched on:

But speaking about import, html-file is KM's native type of bookmarks.

Just create file named bookmarks.html and replace the one in your profile (KM is portable here, so the Profile folder is placed inside KM folder).

Or you can use Bookmarks importer extension to merge imported bookmarks with current set.

KM extensions are just 7z-archives to be unpacked into KM root folder.

Thank you for you input.

You can get more help in special Linux users thread on KM official forum