Puppy 4.3 Beta2 -- bugs and reports

Please post any bugs you have found
sinc

#101 Post by sinc »

from my understanding of the post is 4.24 is just one of the unused version numbers that barry is calling these alpha and beta releases. when he releases the final it will actually be called 4.3 until then 4.3beta2 is actually 4.24 and 4.3 beta3 will probably be numbered 4.25. Then the final will be called 4.3.

if i am wrong someone can tell us but i believe that is the situation. (and edoc, as an aside, i noticed you and i are in the same place) :D

edoc

#102 Post by edoc »

OK, it doesn't really matter to me, I was just at a loss to explain it! :roll:

Yes, we are for a few more days - neighbors - then we are moving out of Florida.

I need to send you a PM as I have a local friend who is trying out Puppy - I can encourage him long-distance and have encouraged him to get on this Forum - but if you are willing perhaps you two may exchange some E-mails?

He helps a lots of people with their computers and is better with hardware than software (he knows MS products fairly well). He is handicapped and on a limited income so he helps others who are also on limited incomes.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

rwishlaw

Cold boot does not see USB stick install pupsave.2fs

#103 Post by rwishlaw »

I am running 4.3 beta 2 on a no usb boot bios machine. I have burned a CD and installed to a USB stick. When I cold boot from the cdrom Grub does not see the pupsave.2fs nor the install on the USB stick.

All works as expected from a warm boot. I have installed the new Ubuntu53 Grub pet but that did not fix the cold boot problem.

Robert Wishlaw

rerwin

#104 Post by rerwin »

tlchost,
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. As you can see in my post following yours, I have been immersed for the past few days in learning all about upgrading Intel modem drivers. That is now done, but I am wiped out at the moment, so will be brief.

I have reviewed your logs and nothing bad jumps out at me right now. I see that you have a Conexant HSF modem as part of your system. It probably interacts in some way with your HDA sound board. This beta2 release is the first time that support for both pieces is present in Puppy! That makes you a very valuable candidate for helping me check out that combination. Both the HSF modem driver and the Linuxant HDA ALSA patch should make your modem work with the HDA sound.

When you say the sound card is not detected, what does that mean? Are the SND-HDA drivers showing in lsmod? The log suggests that they got loaded, along with the HSF modem drivers. Does the modem work? Did it ever work? Somewhere I read that after installing the HDA patch, one should verify that the sound still works. Maybe you are finding that it doesn't.

This could become a lengthy dialog. I would like to continue it tomorrow, after some sleep. It may entail more research on my part. I hope you can work with me to understand all this. I feel it is important to get this working.
Richard

trio

#105 Post by trio »

Barry,

Sorry not to report earlier, been busy, b43 works perfectly now. thanks

charlie6

#106 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Barry,
BarryK wrote: Ah, you've got a Median! Awhile back, forum member Beem reported that 4.3alpha would only boot if certain boot parameters were typed in -- I don't recall, maybe acpi turned on. Whatever, do you have the Median booting from live-cd without any special boot parameters? -- if so, that is very good news indeed.
Yes, it is a Laptop Medion LT9399 PIII600MHz with Ram upgrade to 192MB + eth0 DLink pcmicia network interface card.
Boots straight away on fresh pup424 live-cd without option !
Did not try on 4.3beta1.
That's nice!
('ve written this post on it right now)
Cheers, Charlie
EDITED for information 4.3beta1 do not boot on it straight away ( I 'm not - yet - expert enough to apply boot parameters)
Last edited by charlie6 on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.

myman_05

Osmo not working

#107 Post by myman_05 »

Osmo not working. Look at attachment.

*Running fresh frugal install. (forgot to mention) :roll:
Attachments
osmo.png
Bug
(20.27 KiB) Downloaded 965 times
Last edited by myman_05 on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#108 Post by James C »

Osmo works fine on my full install of Puppy 4.24 (aka 430 Beta 2). Launches from icon, menu or terminal.No problems.

tempestuous

#109 Post by tempestuous »

jakfish wrote:Can I assume at this point there is not yet acpi support for the eee 700/900 series? Just want to make sure I haven't missed something.
Oops, I forgot about the ACPI stuff.
My earlier efforts involved patching of the standard asus_acpi module, plus adding the ACPI daemon utility.
But apparently there are now some dedicated Eee ACPI tools, so this subject deserves a fresh start. I will get to it eventually.

tempestuous

#110 Post by tempestuous »

jgbpup wrote:ANYONE got this working on the Eee 701SD (specifically the SD, not the 4 or 8g) as it has the realtek8187 wifi
As I said on page 4 of this thread, this requires a third party driver which I will get around to shortly.
But of course the Eee 701SD's wifi works fine with Puppy 4.1/4.2 using the driver I already provided here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 747#237747

tempestuous

#111 Post by tempestuous »

CRF wrote:I don't know how to get the WL module for broadcom loaded or how to get my laptop to recognize my wireless.
Well the wl module is a proprietary out-of-tree driver. You will need to wait for some kind soul to provide it.
Of course, it's already available for Puppy 4.1/4.2 ... and I'm sure your forum search would have found it here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 942#251942

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#112 Post by Lobster »

@myman_05
osmo works for me too. Is there any reason why it might not be running on your system? Any other programs not running? Did you try running a pristine Puppy from CD and using 'Puppy pfix=ram' during boot - does it run?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

zigbert

#113 Post by zigbert »

Pfind and Pfilesearch is updated.
- fixes the mentioned "xorg.conf" bug.
- Use viewnior as imageviewer
- 'search all' option in search gui.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#114 Post by Lobster »

I am booting from CD (DVD actually - not multisession)
When I first booted the CD, I tested by using 'puppy pfix=ram' at boot up.

Now I can not activate 'puppy pfix=ram', I can not press f2
m m m . . . too weird - gonna try another keyboard. I am using a roll up keyboard. Anyone else have this?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

esmourguit

#115 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à tous
BarryK wrote:
esmourguit wrote:Bonjour à tous,
Clean live-CD install, Puppy 424.
Locale fr_Fr: gpartedshell does not appears in French. But by launching gparted or gpartedbin to the console, the display works in French.
Cordialement ;)
Unfortunately we have ongoing problems with locales. There was an earlier report that GParted crashed with a certain locale (I don't recall which one) so the gparted_shell script now has this in it:

export LANG=C

Lobster is now reporting that QUISP crashes with a server error, with en_GB. I wonder about PPLOG, which also uses Hiawatha web server.

...would you mind testing those with fr_FR?

If they crash too, then once again I might have to put
export LANG=C
into the startup scripts (/usr/sbin/quisp_shell, pplog_gui.
I started Quisp who asked to run the server Hiawatha, I accepted and quisp ran without problem. I did not go beyond the presentation page because I do not know how to use, but it works.
Same for pplog and same result. Both seem to work with the local fr_FR.
Cordialement ;)
Attachments
quisp.png
(76.09 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: No Save

#116 Post by BarryK »

straypup wrote:Cannot save back to live CD. This has worked thru 4.2.1 , but new version doesn't. Otherwise works very fast. Please put more contrast into new theme no matter what it ends up. Like the metallic look.
Thanks Stray
Aaaargh! I tested that, it works!
I tested both CD-R and DVD-R.
That's why I went back to the 2.6.30.x kernel, as multisession works.
Well, I'll test again, try a different PC this time.

EDIT:
Note, we do have an emergency fallback. In earlier testing with the 2.6.30.1 kernel we had trouble with cdrkit and cdrtools, but found xorriso did the multisession saving very nice.
If does turn out that multisession is still not reliable enough, I will put in a special cutdown xorriso just for that one purpose of multisession saving, still keep cdrkit for everything else.
Last edited by BarryK on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#117 Post by BarryK »

Crash wrote:This isn't a bug as such, but there was some work done to the 4.2.1 version of the init file within initrd.gz that didn't carry over to the 4.3 betas. Specifically, Pizzasgood has some nice changes, and I added two new boot parameters, psubok and psave, which added some more flexibility. Total amount of code change is minimal.

I wouldn't mind doing the initrd hack myself, but a lot changed in it since 4.2.1, and it seems like a moving target at present. Maybe I should wait until 4.3 is released, then make changes? I don't know how else to avoid duplicate effort.
Yeah, I want to minimise messing around in the init script at this stage.
I wasn't aware of those two boot parameters, but yes, if they are nice to have then it could be looked into for the next release after 4.3.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Osmo not working

#118 Post by BarryK »

myman_05 wrote:Osmo not working. Look at attachment.

*Running fresh frugal install. (forgot to mention) :roll:
Works for me.
What locale do you use?
If something other than en_US, can you test, change to en_US then see if it works.

charlie6

#119 Post by charlie6 »

@myman
OSMO works here fine on 4.3beta2 frugall (both on old PIII Laptop, and on more recent HP5120 - multiboot)
Have you checked pup424.iso's md5sum ? How does OSMO run on your fresh live-cd?

myman_05

Re: Osmo not working

#120 Post by myman_05 »

BarryK wrote: Works for me.
What locale do you use?
If something other than en_US, can you test, change to en_US then see if it works.
I change my locale to en_US and osmo work :lol:

Before i'm using locale ms_MY

Many thanks BK.