FatdogArm Beta1/2/3/4- 16 April 2016

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ted Dog

#181 Post by Ted Dog »

Your welcome, however no need to wait... trust me on that one :shock: berryboot will BOOT multiple OTHER distro offerings included is puppylinux Arm Alpha with a newer kernel tweaked for your A10 based on its android kernel. You will be able to tell quickly the level of current linux kernel support for your tablet. Also if it does support it you will be able to list ALL other secondary kernel modules used to list for JamesBond.
venkat2015

Fatdog Arm

#182 Post by venkat2015 »

Hello TedDog Thanks. I have decided not to wait and I have downloaded the apk. I'll be trying it pretty soon and let you know. Thanks for talking to me otherwise it feels very lonely at this forum.
venkat2015

FatDog Arm

#183 Post by venkat2015 »

No luck TedDog, berryboot apk aborted saying error copying script.bin. I have to google and find out.
jamesbond

#184 Post by jamesbond »

Updated beta3 kernels with one that has nls850/nls852 included; and with many netfilter modules included too. I have also uploaded the kernel sources. The DOTconfig file is inside the kernel sfs itself (.config). All these kernels were built in Fatdog64, using arm-cross-gcc-4.8.1.sfs.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]
Ted Dog

Re: FatDog Arm

#185 Post by Ted Dog »

venkat2015 wrote:No luck TedDog, berryboot apk aborted saying error copying script.bin. I have to google and find out.
wierd.. did you not have a writible sd card in the boot slot? can't think of why that would occur is almost instantly finishes. and I have a first gen. slow A10 platform.
Ted Dog

#186 Post by Ted Dog »

jamesbond wrote:Updated beta3 kernels with one that has nls850/nls852 included; and with many netfilter modules included too. I have also uploaded the kernel sources. The DOTconfig file is inside the kernel sfs itself (.config). All these kernels were built in Fatdog64, using arm-cross-gcc-4.8.1.sfs.
Do you have a hints or howto some where, that sounds like I should be a able to get a prepatched kernel source for raspberrypi2b kernel and use your dotconfig to besure it has those extra security and permissions settings modules you must be using. Its oh so close to being useful on raspberry....
jamesbond

#187 Post by jamesbond »

1. Load the arm-cross.sfs
2. Make sure /opt/arm-corss/usr/bin is in your path.
3. export ARCH=arm
4. export CROSS_COMPILE=armv7l-fatdog-linux-gnueabihf-
5. cd /path/to/kernel-souce
6. Compile kernel as usual (make menuconfig, etc). Copy the .config file as needed from elsewhere, or use the platform's defconfig.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]
Ted Dog

#188 Post by Ted Dog »

thanks, they have a far larger number of tiny patches and firmware then I would have ever expected, and it looks like there is/was warranty issues if overclocking without the patches and firmware. Does still seem to be useble without those patches but flexibility and helpful hardware built in is not exposted. I do want to use the video playback help to free up cpu for other tasks. Seems very able to do productivity stuff and playback HD video at same time based on the limited playtime with other more Fustrating distros. You know I really expected a 2 G market drive distro to be at least on par with Fatdog, how can they do so little support with so much bloat.
You and Kirk have me spoiled....

Do you have a list of patches and source available so I can re-patch there kernel sources. I figure yours would be far less than their, unless there is a handly merge method I am not aware off

ooh dang my DVR just said it ran out of space..... ahhhhh real dooom :mrgreen:
jamesbond

#189 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:thanks, they have a far larger number of tiny patches and firmware then I would have ever expected
Unfortunately that is *always* the case. The number of patches that needs to be applied on top of vanilla kernel is simply staggering. Don't take it from me, check for yourself: for example, the Nexus7 kernel has over 6,000 patches on top of the vanilla kernel. The number of patches for Freescale i.MX6 (cubox-i) is almost the same (can't find the reference now). Every SoC's kernel is basically a "fork" of the mainline kernel. This fragmentation was one of the thing that got Linus very very mad.
and it looks like there is/was warranty issues if overclocking without the patches and firmware. Does still seem to be useble without those patches but flexibility and helpful hardware built in is not exposted.
Without the patches, on some SoCs you can't even boot, because they can't initialise the DRAM controller or disable the hardware watchdog timer ... If you can boot a mainline kernel on Raspi2 and you've got a framebuffer, you should count yourself very very lucky :) A10 didn't get into this state until after 3 years (initial mainlining effort on 3.8, got framebuffer on 3.19).
I do want to use the video playback help to free up cpu for other tasks. Seems very able to do productivity stuff and playback HD video at same time based on the limited playtime with other more Fustrating distros.
lol :) "more frustrating distros" :)

Basically you want to have hardware accelerated video playback. The requirements are:
a) you need to use manufacturer's fork of the kernel.
b) you need to have the userspace blob that exposes those kernel features.
c) pray very hard that the above userspace blob does not have proprietary interface, or you are SOL.

Let me expand c) a little bit. The 3D GPU is usually exposed through a binary blob that exposes OpenGL(ES) interface. This is fine, the OpenGL(ES) API is open and anyone can write code against it; and it will work - whatever the underlying OpenGL(ES) implementation is; and many 3D apps do use OpenGL to render its output.

The video playback acceleration however has no such standards. A10 for example uses libcedar that uses fully proprietary interface (this is the case where you are SOL), you don't know the API, you don't have the header file, etc.

Freescale i.MX6 exposes its h/w video via gstreamer. Odroid is also the same. A few others yet expose it using OpenMAX interface. gstreamer is quite popular, there are many players that support it. OpenMAX is less popular but there are players that support it and there also also gstreamer-openmax bridge. So from this side, it is a lot easier.

I have written a simple command-line gstreamer-based player that uses hardware accelerated playback on odroid/cubox-i (1080p smooth playback) but haven't released it yet because the huge amount of tweaks that needs to be done on different platforms.

So yes, you need patched (or forked kernel), but that in itself is not enough.
You know I really expected a 2 G market drive distro to be at least on par with Fatdog, how can they do so little support with so much bloat.
You and Kirk have me spoiled....
Well thanks :)
Do you have a list of patches and source available so I can re-patch there kernel sources. I figure yours would be far less than their, unless there is a handly merge method I am not aware off
This may be disappointing news for you - I use the upstream (=manufacturer's) kernel and only add aufs patches. I don't start with a mainline kernel and applying the platform patches - it's impossible unless you are already doing that kind of thing for a living (or if you don't need to work for a living) ...
Ted Dog

#190 Post by Ted Dog »

aufs patches the kernel already has most of that, but its just different enough to expose a permission mismatch I recall BK adding a unchangeable file patch to protect the critical shutdown stuff from accidentally being wiped even by root. Stuff breaking down is closely alike stuff he would have protected. bootstate xauth etc.
I can get a xwindow to show during the wizard but not after due to xauth permission write error.
the gstreamer-omax methods are both supported by raspberry and both have their fan base and cross over tools so it sound like you may have reinvented something they would have, we really need to get you a RaspberryPi2B :wink:
Lucky they have a standalone omx media player that doesn't need a xwindows and the raytracing stuff I want to use the cpu is also stand alone and cli supported so I am not exactly at a stand still but if I read the way the raytracing is using ARM it would almost live in the 'little' of the big.little core system. So I could theoretically play HD videos on the GPU, raytrace on the mostly unused little part of tbe core and still have most of the big part of the core for standard desktop stuff.
Ted Dog

#191 Post by Ted Dog »

I have a distinctive feel that the ARM development people at the main company for or at RaspberryPi is very jaded by how other hardware companies have made their job stressful at times. And full expected this ARM based hardware company to be likewise..
most of the pray it will be supported if I compile the hooks to be handled has already been historically addressed. And I learned just in the last few weeks a whole bunch of stuff about hardware acceleration in ARM world, and that some of that is also within x86-64 world, I use a vlc based transcode script I hoppled together to recompress my linux based DVR videos into one sixth the size without hardware support and setup with Fatdog64 to use some hardware acceleration and it improved the time to faster than runtime for the video but at only a one third size improvement.
mories

#192 Post by mories »

jamesbond wrote:Updated beta3 kernels with one that has nls850/nls852 included ...

Thank you. Now pkeys treatment is complete and works perfectly.
Ted Dog

#193 Post by Ted Dog »

Are these directions what I need to directly connect my ARM Mele1000A to another FatDog (currently 64 version till I can get my RPi2B going ) using direct connect crosswire?

lightofdawn.org/wiki/wiki.cgi/-wiki/LocalDynamicDns

http://lightofdawn.org/wiki/wiki.cgi/-w ... DynamicDns

Checking in Attic found an old linksys wifi disconnected (but still plugged into power, thanks cable installer for ripping the tips off all other cables up there :| )

Would like to setup my own mini intranet using it (linksys) and the mele1000A as DNS, DHCP, PXE and NFS file server(s).
Ted Dog

#194 Post by Ted Dog »

whhhhh.. the old evb.bin works change name to script.bin to make the newer version boot into what you need. Had a bear of a time booting into VGA again..

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78576
Ted Dog

#195 Post by Ted Dog »

ARM watchers....
Something is
AFOOT!!

/fatdog/arm/releases/beta3/kernel-packages/

has June 2015 Dates :shock: :P :P :P
Ted Dog

#196 Post by Ted Dog »

tried out new kernel with older beta3 sfs-es both can't save a save file to F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System) formatted sdcard ( second partion ) is the use of f2fs going to be supported?
Also 2 in 1 post, the new Ubuntu Mate 1504 for raspberrypi2b is the best so far, and uses f2fs ( figured out a way to boot mele and Raspberry from same flashcards, going to try to use its kernel and an full install type mount of fatdogarm to get around the aufs bugs. ) wish me luck... :wink: I refuse to give up Fatdogarm on my Raspberry :D
Ted Dog

#197 Post by Ted Dog »

spend last few days compiling stuff for RaspberryPi2B such as povray 3.7 took lots of makefile and config. mods and got it to compile and test, but can't figure how to invoke it like I have, seems to not find itself, or permissions again ( did compile and install as sudo su ) So copied what I could cut paste from that semi almost successful attempt as a regular user. VLC transcode crashes and unavailable to grab log file before its delete has a core dump but its been decades since I had to filter thro one ( and on my own code ) :wink: and I was getting paid for the effort :!:
Found this link for all the patches really need your patches to aufs ( 3 or 4th time asking )

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi

scroll.down for their pi2 patches link.
venkat2015

Fatdog Arm

#198 Post by venkat2015 »

I am trying to compile rtl8150.ko module. It compiles ok but not able to load it. When I do --dump-modversions it is empty. Where can I get Module_symvers for this kernel. Please help.
Ted Dog

#199 Post by Ted Dog »

did you check his new unannounced kernels I questioned about a few post ago, he rebuilt kernels earlier in the month and said he was had already added that many posts ago. So that may be already done but not told anyone here.

He seems to be on some secret spy mission and I guess can't log on without blowing his cover story. Or real life responsibility have him distracted from his e-family ( us )
venkat2015

Fatdog Arm

#200 Post by venkat2015 »

Yes you are right TedDog. I downloaded the new kernel and the problem solved. Now I am able to load the modules that I compiled. Thank You.