sci fi puppy 2038

Promote Puppy !
rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

jlst wrote:Puppies right now are using a predefined and very limited firmware package.... that is outdated nowadays.
Give me an estimate. What percentage of devices that Puppy users would encounter are not covered by the current firmware package.

If there was a significant problem, one would expect the forum to be flooded with requests for firmware. But the ones I see are just for a few WiFi drivers.

learnhow2code

#22 Post by learnhow2code »

jlst wrote:Puppies right now are using a predefined and very limited firmware package.... that is outdated nowadays.
I'd rather ship a complete firmware package including a bunch of exotic and non free firmware.
i too would rather have a more complete kernel.

as for non-free firmware, im all for separating the repos like debian traditionally does. if that makes me a purist, im ok with that. i really dont care for non-free firmware, but im not out to tell people what to do with it, only the disadvantages of using it.

the debian way of doing that is the way i prefer-- i would not suggest it is the puppy way. "out of the box," like you said. (im happy to do this a non-puppy way.)

Pete

#23 Post by Pete »

I'm also not a fan of non-free firmware/drivers, but if the firmware and/or drivers were made as .ko's and available as extra (easy to load) sfs and made more hardware work like wifi cards, more printers, video cards and so on, then even using non-free ones would be the lesser of two evils, i.e. yes it would taint your kernel but then all the extra hardware would work.
Since they would be optional add-ons, each one has the choice of whether to install them or not.
This practice is already quite common for propriety nVidia drivers, so why not expand on the idea?

learnhow2code

#24 Post by learnhow2code »

Pete wrote:Since they would be optional add-ons, each one has the choice of whether to install them or not.
This practice is already quite common for propriety nVidia drivers, so why not expand on the idea?
if i were asked how to do it, i would say have a librezdrv sfs and a nonfreezdrv sfs. but since no ones asked, i will pretend i didnt say that. seriously, not only do i think it will not happen, i dont have the patience to sort them out. i can however, provide alternatives to using zdrv.

jlst

#25 Post by jlst »

rcrsn51 wrote: Give me an estimate. What percentage of devices that Puppy users would encounter are not covered by the current firmware package.

If there was a significant problem, one would expect the forum to be flooded with requests for firmware. But the ones I see are just for a few WiFi drivers.
Hmmm I don't know haha. Obviously you know better, and as one of the most experienced developers/users here, i would certainly hear everything you have to say... for example, what firmware files are worth adding to the firmware tarballs, etc...
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/firmware/

One of those files are used for official puppies (i guess), kernel-kit can also download the linux-firmware git repo and extract firmware according to what has been compiled (of course this isn't working), updated today .. I think i'll ask micko if i can get an account so i can secretly fix many packages/files...

jlst

#26 Post by jlst »

Pete wrote:I'm also not a fan of non-free firmware/drivers, but if the firmware and/or drivers were made as .ko's and available as extra (easy to load) sfs and made more hardware work like wifi cards, more printers, video cards and so on, then even using non-free ones would be the lesser of two evils, i.e. yes it would taint your kernel but then all the extra hardware would work.
Since they would be optional add-ons, each one has the choice of whether to install them or not.
It certainly can be done, we just need to make some obscure firmwares into packages. Then a script can ask whether to install these..

Although I made a huge firmware package for personal use including all the firmware i found becuae i just feel lazy

There is the fdrv that is now working properly in woofce, i use this file as the fdrv
http://www.megafileupload.com/blK6/linu ... ection.sfs

learnhow2code

#27 Post by learnhow2code »

jlst wrote:secretly fix many packages/files...
wont github make a note of all your changes? i know you werent being literal, i assume you meant "without announcing it on the forum."