Google Chrome opens, minimizes and freezes

Using applications, configuring, problems
ETP

#21 Post by ETP »

@ drunkjedi,

Are you by any chance running my:

DLNA Tahr64 Pup – released 26th Nov 2015 (Based on 666philb's beta Tahr64-6.0.3.8 k 3.14.45)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 392#874392

(You can confirm by checking that there is a "Change DLNA Repository" item at the bottom of
the utility menu plus PT and Voice Control icons on the desktop.)

If so can you please hold off updating Chrome and post any issues in that thread?
EDIT:
Sorry, I should have read the whole thread. You stated
Linux Kernel: 3.14.54 (x86_64)
Version: #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 1 17:54:26 GMT 2015
Distro: tahrpup64 6.0.5
Window Manager: JWM v2.3.4
Desktop Start: xwin jwm
I assume therefore that you used the pet from this thread to obtain Chrome?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 211#870211

If so can you still hold off updating Chrome but give the version that you are currently on? (A new pet may be needed to update to Version 53.0.2785.143 (64-bit)
Last edited by ETP on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Sailor Enceladus

#22 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@belham2: I disagree. It's easier to right-click on the program and press kill.

belham2

#23 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:@belham2: I disagree entirely. It's easier to right-click on the program and press kill.
...and, you my dear sir, do not understand nor respect the enemy. :wink:

belham2

#24 Post by belham2 »

going to perform surgery tonight, I guess...

...will try to extract the 'xkill in an icon' setup from my antiX-16 I currently have on a partition.

...bathe it (er, I mean compile) and speak voodoo words over it...

....and see if the implantation will not be rejected in a pup.....

...would be waaaay easier if someone, say, like SFR & his magical scripting ability, popped in & and told me how to set up an icon to the current xkill_1.0.4 that is installed, an icon, btw, that invokes a script that is not DE (desktop environment) dependent

Semme

#25 Post by Semme »

C'mon now Belham.. Get creative >> JWMDesk Launcher.. :D
Attachments
easy_peasy_japaneasy.jpg
(5.58 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Sailor Enceladus

#26 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

belham2 wrote:
Sailor Enceladus wrote:@belham2: I disagree entirely. It's easier to right-click on the program and press kill.
...and, you my dear sir, do not understand nor respect the enemy. :wink:
If "the enemy" can't be taught something so simple, then they shouldn't be using computers imo.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(21.91 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

Semme

#27 Post by Semme »

While I agree with you Sailor, that method doesn't always work.

I do feel however that, given too much power, the enemy tends to abuse it. :mrgreen::wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

belham2 wrote:Ok, I am currently in Slacko 700 (32-bit), says in PPM that xkill_1.0.4 is ALREADY INSTALLED.
Congratulations! You found a bug. It isn't installed at all although it is supposed to be. I'll fix that and also create a menu entry that will simply change the cursor to the skull and crossbones and it will kill the window (and hopefully any associated process) directly underneath that cursor on click.

To fix it for yourself now, just install xkill from PPM, ignoring any message that says it is already installed, (this should work in other pups too) then install the attached pet that simply provides an icon and .desktop file so that a menu entry is generated under 'Utility'.

Cheers
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(41.91 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
xkill-desktop-file-0.1.pet
NO EXECUTABLE INCLUDED. Please install 'xkill' from the package manager.
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

belham2

#29 Post by belham2 »

01micko wrote:
belham2 wrote:Ok, I am currently in Slacko 700 (32-bit), says in PPM that xkill_1.0.4 is ALREADY INSTALLED.
Congratulations! You found a bug. It isn't installed at all although it is supposed to be. I'll fix that and also create a menu entry that will simply change the cursor to the skull and crossbones and it will kill the window (and hopefully any associated process) directly underneath that cursor on click.

To fix it for yourself now, just install xkill from PPM, ignoring any message that says it is already installed, (this should work in other pups too) then install the attached pet that simply provides an icon and .desktop file so that a menu entry is generated under 'Utility'.

Cheers
Haha...thanks, Micko! My first bug find!! Problem is/was, I am too stupid to realize it was a bug.....I was searching all through the Slacko directories last night (/usr and /sbin and /etc...figuring it must be in there somewhere...finally after 20-30 mins wife started yelling to get off the computer...so I gave up and told myself I was going to look at it again today).

Glad I checked here first. Also, thanks for the fix!

P.S. Doggone it, Semme, you had me chasing my own tail last night, lol!! Dam# skull & bones and "be creative, Belham...", lol. Oh well, at least I am no longer a bug-virgin :lol:

Semme

#30 Post by Semme »

Well, you're on Slacko and I'm on Tahr. Slacko's @ my other home.

I didn't do anything fancy either. I duped a desktop file, because that's where the desktop launcher looks, had it reference an icon, then a script I stuck in ~/my-applications/bin. If I then open my .jwmrc-tray I can see how it's been added. Really, no rocket science involved.

Code: Select all

<TrayButton popup="Xkill Process Killer" 
icon="/root/Downloads/42246-xkill.png"
border="false">exec:proc_kill</TrayButton>
PS -- If Micko hadn't stepped in I was going to attach a copy from my Lucid install.

And simply because I doubt it's changed much since its creation.

Backwards compatible is almost always :wink: preferred.

Need an icon? :mrgreen:

Sailor Enceladus

#31 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Very funny idea guys. Drag a poison skull over a window to kill it - haha. You might be right Semme, I would have too much fun with this thing and probably end up killing everything, looks like a fun game. More entertaining than Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. :lol:

Semme

#32 Post by Semme »

:D Yeah, your own personal assassin. Ain't it great? BANG! BANG! BANG! :lol: Hahaha..

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#33 Post by Flash »

Belham2, I'm not saying your problem is caused by zombies, but, if nothing else seems to work, read this post.