Samba version 4.1.9 trimmed version for pup releases

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
mikeb

#21 Post by mikeb »

So no gnutls in quirky then...well I did suspect this.

You have a list of the missing libs handy?

Must be fun installing anything into that :D
I don't have much time for alpha testing

mike

gcmartin

#22 Post by gcmartin »

Something said may have led to a view that "UCF2FS Pup is based on BK's Quirky Unicorn."

It is not.

ETP

Samba version 4.1.9 Slimmed down version.

#23 Post by ETP »

With regard to UCF2FS Pup it is based on my own f2fs image of 666philb's Unicorn-6.0 building block puplet
that was released on 22nd Dec 2014 & is woof based.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96973

The solution as mikeb pointed out is a symlink.
I can confirm that a link to /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.26.22.6 works.

The problem with Blue Pup once again as mikeb suggested, is the tmp/var in BK's
Quirky build. Upon installing the pet it works but does not survive a reboot as
the additional directories and their contents do not survive a reboot. Adding to the
problem is that by default /var/samba/log is present when /var/log/samba is needed.
Following a reboot you can create that or better uninstall the pet then reinstall it
as their are numerous entries in var.
Unless anyone has any bright ideas BK's Quirky builds look like a no go area.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

rcrsn51

Re: Samba version 4.1.9 Slimmed down version.

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

ETP wrote:Unless anyone has any bright ideas BK's Quirky builds look like a no go area.
There are other Samba packages that put their var folder in a location that would survive a reboot. Like

Code: Select all

/usr/local/samba/var
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#25 Post by mikeb »

Hmmm it would seem any system that is messing up folders in /var would need sorting as it would more than likely affect other software too.

Mountains and Mohammed stuff. This particular samba build is pretty much as it comes from their sources so would normally expect /var to be usable / persistant

My guess its happening in rc.shutdown or whatever is used in quirky.

mike

mikeb

#26 Post by mikeb »

Ok added 64 bit packages if anyone wants them...similar structure to the 32 bit.

just to reiterate these are meant for consideration to include in puppy releases and not as yet another standalone samba server package inorder to provide basic two way samba support.

mike

gcmartin

This SAMBA works for all of your "smart" LAN devices, too!

#27 Post by gcmartin »

This SAMBA has been tested on 32bit TahrPUP, LxTahrPUP, Vivid, Slacko, LUPU, UCF2FS PUP, and RG66 provided TNG removal instructions couple weeks ago so that this PET could be correctly installed in his distros. RG's instructions are to use Menu>Setup>Remove builtin packages where you scroll to TNG to remove it. Following this step, you merely click this SAMBA PET to have it bring ALL elements of your system's SAMBA features up-to-date for ALL OF YOUR LAN devices/phones/tablets/etc. If it talks to Apple/Microsoft, it will work with this SAMBA for your PUPs.

With LUPU and UCF2FS PUPs, a symlink is needed. It may be as simple as this: "its just wants a gnutls 28 -> 26 symlink that's all."

This distro works very very well with a much much friendly Puppy exclusive from @01Micko's work, the SSM, which shows up in Menu>Network>"SAMBA Simple Management" making SAMBA easy to understand and use.

Most recently it WORKS as an upgrade to most every PUP 64bit distros. The exception being @BarryK's Quirky-April distro series of 2014-2015 as his lib structures depart from his traditional PUPs.

Please post any use issues to this thread for resolution and direct assistance.

This author will listen to any request provided, and has a track record of such. Further, with this SAMBA package, you will NOT LOSE ANY FUNCTIONALITY! It does NOT discard functionality to meet some size objective. It intends to insure functionality is maintained in its packaging and its performance is stellar. Its the same subsystem carried over from @01Micko who pioneered SAMBA V4 in Puppyland.

Further, this SAMBA maintains compatibility with "official" SAMBA as was configure by @01Micko for Puppy Linux. It components have NOT been bastardized as has been seen elsewhere. Thus, anyone who has SAMBA experience, no matter their backgrounds can assist an user who might have issues. Again, this maintains official SAMBA conformity.

Hope this is helpful.

mikeb

#28 Post by mikeb »

Most recently it WORKS as an upgrade to most every PUP 64bit distros. The exception being @BarryK's Quirky-April distro series of 2014-2015 as his lib structures depart from his traditional PUPs.
so libraries are not in /usr/lib64 then and that's not in the path or is there more to it?

mike

xanad

#29 Post by xanad »

mikeb wrote:
so libraries are not in /usr/lib64 then and that's not in the path or is there more to it?

mike
Yes, the structure of paths in Q64 is particular. the paths /lib64/ and /usr/lib64 not seem to exist although there are. Libs from the original deb or rpm must be placed in /lib/ although they should actually be in /lib64/ and those of /usr/lib64 go in /usr/lib. There not seems to be a possible symlink to the correct path. Same reasoning even for sub-paths x86_64. This creates a lot of difficulties in creating new apps, which must be created manually every time.
[url]http://www.xanad.tk[/url] Html5 Parallax

mikeb

#30 Post by mikeb »

This creates a lot of difficulties in creating new apps, which must be created manually every time.
Hmm reminds me of a thread about sticking to 'standards'...

Anyway since this is meant for system inclusion does it work if all the libs in /usr/lib64 are moved to /usr/lib then? Or does that cause further problems?

mike

ETP

Samba version 4.1.9 64bit Slimmed down version

#31 Post by ETP »

Samba version 4.1.9 64bit Slimmed down version

@ All,

The SS below attempts to clarify what BK has done in his Experimental Quirky April 7.0.4.1 x86_64 k 3.19.2.
It shows his use of symlinked folders which as xanad has commented, can cause problems when trying to create
pets for it. In addition there is the /var issue which means that not everything that you would wish to
survive a reboot does so.
The 64bit pet has all sorts of missing libs issues in Rapid Pup & does not work OOTB.
My inclination is that BK's Pups should be excluded from this Samba exercise as there
are too many potential problems.
As for Rapid V2 which is presently the only spin-off, if anyone ever expresses a need to "share" I am
quite happy to explore other means of doing so.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(72.99 KiB) Downloaded 580 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

My inclination is that BK's Pups should be excluded from this Samba exercise as there
are too many potential problems.
Well I am inclined to agree...and as mentioned a system this oddball is going to cause problems with other software and not just SAMBA...unless of course YOU sort it out which is probably a good idea and often the way with puppy leftovers. :)

mike

gcmartin

SSM is a superior credit to assuring smooth starts and use.

#33 Post by gcmartin »

@01Micko's Simple SAMBA Management utility (the Menu item at Menu>Network>SSM) which is included and expanded here, is one of the best creations for getting everyone started and tested on their sharing of content to their LAN.

This is why this Packaging is superior! Nice work all around.

Marv

Samba Simple Management Utility

#34 Post by Marv »

For my own use I have added trusted network capability to 01mickos GUI. It detects the subnet and offers that as the default trusted network with the capability to fall back to the default smb.conf by entering all or to use any hosts allow definitions ok with samba. It's a first cut with an admittedly awkward awk :) but is working ok on my NAS box in the slacko based OS. I've tested going back and forth between the stock smb.conf and the hosts allow addition with it and it seems ok. I use the NAS box as a test mule and it simplifies samba setup and (now I think) does all that is needed for a home share setup. Make executable & goes in /usr/sbin.

Submitted as a possibility only.
Attachments
samba.sh.gz
trusted network added
(3.62 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Screenshot.jpg
(46.95 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.