Portable Browser Installer

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
B.K. Johnson

#41 Post by B.K. Johnson »

s243a
I think wiping the firefox directory then reinstalling is the correct way to go. I install firefox in the standard way to /opt and experienced failure after updating sometimes -just overwriting . It turns out that the update works when going from minor to minor but not from minor to major. There is a file that mozilla fails to update correctly, but I really haven't investigated.

The script you guys use do not capture errors, but when I try to run manually from terminal, after a failed update of say 66.0.5 to 67.0, I get an error. I don't recall the exact words, but it indicated an incompatibility between 66.0.5 platform and 67.0 platform.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

kuman11

c/o: Mike Walsh

#42 Post by kuman11 »

Mike Walsh,

My profile for Seamonkey246 has disappeared or is deleted & I can't start it with the script.
How can I create another one w/o a reboot if that's possible?

It seems Opera 12 is a good browser, is there a portable version of it?

mikeslr

Re: c/o: Mike Walsh

#43 Post by mikeslr »

kuman11 wrote:
It seems Opera 12 is a good browser, is there a portable version of it?
opera 12.16 -- you can find a pet here, http://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks/. Rather than installing it, you can Right-Click it and select UExtract (or extract). An opera folder will created which you can move anywhere. You can start this opera by clicking the opera binary in this folder. Frankly, I've stopped using opera 12.16 which was formerly my 'go-to' web-browser. Most website's won't allow it access. It can no longer run a google-search or a search by any search engine which uses google in any way. And, at least on my computers, it takes longer to load web-pages even of those websites --such as this one-- which allows it access.

I'll wait a while to see if Mike Walsh responds about Seamonkey as he knows far more about this.

kuman11

Opera

#44 Post by kuman11 »

mikeslr,

I got it from PPM & it installed with about 100 Mb of Puppy space left!! It runs faster & smoother than SM It can't only access 2 sites of all tried so far. I was surprised.

Btw I had an issue with the Turbo mode tonight.

kuman11

#45 Post by kuman11 »

mikeslr,

Do u recall where's the link to SM 246 portable, I'll try to reinstall it, it doesn't show in PPM.

I guess can't count on M. Walsh these days ...

mikeslr

link to seamonkey 2.46 portablehttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/

#46 Post by mikeslr »

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

kuman11 wrote:mikeslr,

Do u recall where's the link to SM 246 portable, I'll try to reinstall it, it doesn't show in PPM.

I guess can't count on M. Walsh these days ...
@ kuman11:-

I'm sorry to say that with that sort of attitude, no.....you can't.

Mike Walsh is not a 'permanent' fixture of this Forum.
Mike Walsh does sometimes have other things that occupy his time. In short....
- Mike Walsh does 'have a life' outside these forums..

I don't appreciate being 'badgered' about things, and being expected to answer stuff to suit the whims of other individuals. I especially don't appreciate being bombarded with PM after PM, almost demanding that I answer.

I'm like the donkey that ate the thistles. The more you try to push me in a direction I don't want to go, the more I dig my heels in.....and the more stubborn I become!

------------------

In respect of SeaMonkey, I'll just say this. I assembled the portable version of SeaMonkey because I know there's quite a number of Puppians who DO like it. Personally, it's not really my cup of tea..... And having to ask for a link to the thread suggests to me that you don't even bother to perform any basic research of your own; it's near the top of page 2 of the 'Browsers & Internet' section. All you had to do is look for a few seconds; you would have soon found it.

And NO; 'portables' don't show in the PPM. You don't install them with a click in the normal way, so you can't really expect to find them listed there.... :roll:

Mike.
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 31 Jul 2019, 16:28, edited 4 times in total.

fredx181

#48 Post by fredx181 »

kuman11 wrote:I guess can't count on M. Walsh these days ...
Mike Walsh ? He's a ROCK !! 8) :)