Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tallboy

#561 Post by tallboy »

Mike wrote:What'cha think of my 'Robo-puppies'?
Very nice, Mike, god find! :D As I said elsewhere, according to my personal taste, the default icon theme is absolutely horrible! (sorry, radky :? ) Not only fugly, but the icons are not really indicating what they actually do, it is a real guesswork.

radky, could you please change the entry in IP Info to query for your external IP, to icanhazip.com, in the next version on Dpup Stretch? The default is opendns.com, but as they say on the homepage: 'OpenDNS is now part of Cisco'. It is no longer of any use for us, to get an external IP adress.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.
tallboy

#562 Post by tallboy »

I timed the boot process when using Dpup Stretch in my Dell Latitude E6230 laptop. It is frugally installed, using Lick for multi-boot possibility in Win 10. From pressing the power button, I had a working desktop in 26 seconds, with a working network (LAN cable), in 5 additional seconds. Very impressive for a multi-boot process, where I underway had to manually choose between OSs, and then which version of Dpup to boot. From the last choice to a fully operational desktop, it took 14 seconds.
Extremely impressive compared to startup of a live CD on a 16 year old P4... :?
rufwoof

#563 Post by rufwoof »

tallboy wrote:radky, could you please change the entry in IP Info to query for your external IP, to icanhazip.com, in the next version on Dpup Stretch? The default is opendns.com, but as they say on the homepage: 'OpenDNS is now part of Cisco'. It is no longer of any use for us, to get an external IP adress.
duckduckgo is supposedly anonymous ...

Code: Select all

wget -qqO- 'https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what+is+my+ip' | grep -ow 'Your IP address is [0-9.]*[0-9]' | grep -ow '[0-9][0-9.]*'
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]
radky

#564 Post by radky »

tallboy wrote:
according to my personal taste, the default icon theme is absolutely horrible!
Undoubtedly, desktop theming is very much a matter of personal taste. Finding an icon theme that pleases everyone would be a difficult task.

The default papirus icon theme in Stretch was chosen as a colorful option not currently used in other Pups.

That said, Dpup Stretch offers 12 icon themes. Hopefully, you will find one of those options more attractive on your desktop.

If you prefer more choices, Puppy users have created multiple additional icons themes and smokey01 provides easy downloading at the following link:

http://smokey01.com/icon-sets/

---

tallboy wrote:
could you please change the entry in IP Info to query for your external IP, to icanhazip.com, in the next version on Dpup Stretch?
Over the years, various Puppy users have objected to any application that probes an external server for their local external IP address. Consequently, for the current release of the ipinfo app, 01micko chose opendns.com as the external server since this is a dedicated DNS resolution service that processes billions of DNS queries daily, and the service accepts queries from any source.

The current ipinfo app requires a slight update in code to properly query opendns.com. As time permits, maybe you could test the attached revision. Remove the fake gz extension, make the file executable and place it in /usr/sbin.

---

EDIT:

@rufwoof,

Thanks for your input.
Attachments
ipinfo.gz
(4.29 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Last edited by radky on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]
tallboy

#565 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, radky, that script works very well. :D
My main issue with the default theme, is that it is not very intuitive.
Mike wrote:I did a search on DuckDuckGo (haven't bothered with Google for an age!)
Then you should absolutely try the WebSearch in the Internet section of the Menu. :D
rufwoof

#566 Post by rufwoof »

How are you getting on with Multi-session boots Tallboy?

Using a laptop and DVD, I'm saving OK for the first couple of times OK, but third time save I keep getting a "Save session - Error" dialog

Code: Select all

ERROR MESSAGE: SUSP signatures version 1 found. It seems to be time to migrate to a new live-DVD. Run remasterpup2 to crate a new ISO file and use burniso2cd to burn the ISO to the new DVD

Even though massive amounts of free space still available on the DVD
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]
Mike Walsh

#567 Post by Mike Walsh »

tallboy wrote:
Mike wrote:I did a search on DuckDuckGo (haven't bothered with Google for an age!)
Then you should absolutely try the WebSearch in the Internet section of the Menu. :D
Hiya, tallboy.

Eee, that's a neat feature. I've just had a look for it. I didn't even know there were that many search engines out there! Crunchyroll; Dribbble; Swisscows; Rotten Tomatoes....WolfRam Alpha??? (The mind boggles....)

I shall have to experiment with this a bit over the coming weeks.....

Roger's full of surprises, ain't he? :lol:

Mike. :wink:
lizardidi

#568 Post by lizardidi »

This might sounds like a stupid question... but how we launch peebee's Chromium as spot in Dpup Stretch?

I load the Chromium 72 sfs.

In System > Login and security manager , I ticked the Chromium to run as spot.

However, when i launch Chromium, it said :

# chromium
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /lib/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium/libgtk-3.so.0)
chown: /root/spot/Downloads/*: No such file or directory
# /usr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash: line 273: /tmp/gtkdialog-splash_gtkrc: Permission denied
EXIT="Exit on timeout"

Did i loaded the wrong version of Chromium? Its chromium_72.0.3626.121+pepper_32.0.0.171_lx_spot. My Dpup stretch is 32 bit version..
mikeslr

Chromium 72 alternatives

#569 Post by mikeslr »

Hi lizardidi,

I can never figure out which of peebee's Chromimums function other than in the Puppies he builds them for. Perhaps that problem could be resolved. But I prefer OscarTalk's Iron 69, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 36#1009536 anyway. It's Chromium with a lot more "call home to Google" stripped out.

If you need an even more recent Google-Chrome-Clone, try Slimjet 22.0.4.0, which OscarTalks published on April 2nd. Obtain and read the instructions: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 22#1024022

The vivaldi alternative from March 23rd can be found here: https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK?force_show=1
OscarTalks

#570 Post by OscarTalks »

I took the Debian Stretch chromium .deb from packages.debian.org and did a few tweaks and created a .sfs of it
Version is 73.0.3683.75
Runs as root, not spot
Starts and runs here in my personal Dpup Stretch remaster
Not tested extensively though.
Uploaded in case anyone wants to take a look at it:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Attachments
chromium73-stretch.jpg
Debian version with a couple of Puppy tweaks
(29.28 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Oscar in England
lizardidi

#571 Post by lizardidi »

Thank you mike and Oscar.

Now downloading the Chromium.sfs provided by Oscartalks. Some functions of our company websites can only be accessed using Chrome or Chrome a-like browsers. Before this I get around by using user-agent switcher addon in Firefox, but this was not a 100% fix. Will test and see whether this sfs package got issue with sandbox when running as root. (What i did to launch Chromium in other puppies/dogs: chromium --no-sandbox -test-type) (Pls correct me if this command has any issue)

edit 1: Followed the link, I just discovered the Puppy Linux Newsletter by smokey. A very well written and informative site.

For those not yet discover it:
http://smokey01.com/newsletters/

edit 2: Tested the Chromium.sfs package provided by OscarTalks. There is a missing libraries called libwebpdemux. Just download it from Puppy Package Manager and it launched perfectly. Thank you Oscar!
Mike Walsh

#572 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ OscarTalks:-

Cheers for this, mate. Running beautifully in Stretch.

I've modified things a wee bit. Added libwidevinecdm.so into /usr/lib/chromium (also symlinked to /root/.local/lib), and added the --ppapi-flash-path switch to /usr/bin/chromium. Result? Radiotunes and NetFlix both playing nicely.

Sorted!

(Still can't figure out why it seems impossible to get NetFlix working in Iron 71/72, mind you. Even if I put libwidevinecdm.so in the Iron directory and add the symlink to /root/.local/lib, it still turns its nose up, and refuses to play ball. Wish I knew what the hell SRWare have done with their version of the code..!)

Just gotta customize stuff tomorrow; it's way past my beddy-byes..... :lol:

Mike. :wink:
peebee

#573 Post by peebee »

The current 32-bit Chromium72 sfs works fine on Dpup Stretch....

[EDIT] Chromium 74 now available [/EDIT]
Attachments
image-1.png
(75.3 KiB) Downloaded 1299 times
Last edited by peebee on Mon 29 Apr 2019, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64
tallboy

#574 Post by tallboy »

lizardidi and others, please observe that packages made for an Ubuntu-based Puppy, will usually not run in Dpups, which are Debian-based. Ubuntu was/is based on Debian, but they have modified many things in Ubuntu, and those mods will not work when packages are installed back into an original Debian.
Most Debian packages (.deb) work in Ubuntu-based Puppys.
rufwoof wrote:How are you getting on with Multi-session boots Tallboy?
Iam currently living in a tiny, old family summer cottage, stuffed full of everything I own after the apartment was sold, so I am a liiiiittle bit disorganized for the time being! :lol: I think that I did not try more than one save to the CD-R wich contained the .iso, at shutdown, followed by a save by using the Save button during the next session. I'll try to make some more tests during the easter holiday (which we have this week here in Norway... 8) ).
I really hope you remembered to ignore the blue text that pop up on your screen during saves, that says something like:' If this text stay on the screen for a long time, press Enter'. If you follow that very bad advice, the save process will fail. I have also been getting that text message you quoted, as a standard reaction with the Puppys I have tested, when they fail to accept a CD. I wonder if the aborted save process also 'closes' the disc, and prevent the burning of more sessions later.
rufwoof

#575 Post by rufwoof »

Hi tallboy

Sounds a nice place to be to enjoy the spring/summer.

I didn't close the blue background text, just left it till it seemingly finished its work. Looks to me that the first save goes OK, which I believe uses separate code to set things up. Next save, which is really the first running save, saves OK, but looks like the code section for that could be closing the optical disc - such that subsequent saves results in the .. you need to do a remaster and create a new disc image ... type prompt. I haven't looked at any of the actual code, the above is all just a guess. I only keep a DVD boot (fatdog) just for fallback purposes, so for me its not really a big issue. On my setup I check the mbr, grldr, vmlinuz, initrd and main sfs checksums as part of the initial boot, so as good as a DVD from my perspective (I also store changes in a sfs that has its checksum also checked, that I unsquashfs as the actual save folder if that checksum is OK, and reform that (mksquashfs and record the new checksum) whenever a 'save' is made). My checksum's are very casual, I just check the first 10KB maximum of each file ... so that the checks flash through very quickly.
tallboy

#576 Post by tallboy »

I have the CD with the Dpup Stretch-7-5 .iso, with the first save at shutdown, and one more random save. I'll rerun it and see how it behaves on new saves.

I just have to find it, I know that I saw it only a few days ago... :? :lol:
Attachments
caos.jpg
(99.82 KiB) Downloaded 1087 times
fredx181

#577 Post by fredx181 »

New gtk-youtube-viewer (v3.5.4) pet package for Dpup-Stretch, for download and info, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 73#1025673

Fred
Mike Walsh

#578 Post by Mike Walsh »

lizardidi (in part) wrote:edit 2: Tested the Chromium.sfs package provided by OscarTalks. There is a missing libraries called libwebpdemux. Just download it from Puppy Package Manager and it launched perfectly. Thank you Oscar!
Interesting. I needed libwebpdemux and libwebpmux, plus some newer ffmpeg-related stuff and the 'icu57' stuff to get this running under UPup Bionic 18.05. But it fired straight up for me in Stretch....

Mike. Image
lizardidi

Connect to Android Phone in Dpup Stretch

#579 Post by lizardidi »

Hi all, just want to report an issue with MTP Device v0.16 in Dpup Stretch as an everyday user.

I connect my Xperia T2 Ultra via MTP Device v0.16 (builtin package in Dpup Stretch). After created the rules, my phone willl mount and Pcmanfm will open my phone internal storage and SD storage. I can view all the contents both in internal and SD card.

However, I cannot open / copy / paste / cut any file into or from the phone storage, either internal or SD Card. The error code is
Unable to open document
Input/Output error
I tried to change the permission for my phone storage folder, but unable to solve the input/output error.

In order to confirm my phone and cable are working, i downloaded Jmtpfs from PPM. And I can mount my phone, and also transfer all file without error. Not sure is this a bug for the MTP.pet, will test again with different android devices and different puppies after a few days.

===============================================

For other new linux users (like me) who are trying to connect your android device using jmtpfs, can download "jmtpfs" from PPM, and follow my steps below:
mkdir /mnt/phone/
jmtpfs /mnt/phone/
Your android phone should now be accessible. Just open your file manager, go to /mnt/phone/ and transfer your files.

After done, to disconnect you phone:
fusermount -u /mnt/phone/
And you can safely pull out your cable from the phone. Hope this will help others.
foxpup

help for tallboy

#580 Post by foxpup »

tallboy wrote:I just have to find it, I know that I saw it only a few days ago... :? :lol:
A real man's cave! Cool!
Maybe this, from rockedge, will help you:
Darknet-YOLO Compiled For Live Cam Stream Object Recognition