Running Puppy on Acer Aspire One

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Kallethen

#61 Post by Kallethen »

If you are using Unetbootin, there is an option for copying an already downloaded ISO onto the flash drive. Select "Diskimage" instead of "Distribution" and fill out the location box to where your file is stored.

tempestuous

#62 Post by tempestuous »

iscraigh wrote:alsa patch (internal mic will work)
Ah, that's the first confirmation I have heard.
I will note that audio driver is working in the original forum post -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 886#245886

tempestuous

#63 Post by tempestuous »

Boneo wrote:I've been running my Puppy on 2.6.21.7 that is the retro kernel which apparently doesn't work with the latest madwifi drivers
Of course. Modules (drivers) are kernel-specific.

iscraigh

#64 Post by iscraigh »

sorry I didn't post about the internal mic earlier I just tested last night.
My quick remaster appears to work for both the alsa and the wifi. you will be able to find a link @ http://www.humyo.com/F/6099101-246705607

If anyone can host it that would be great I am not sure how quick I will reach my download limit. I will try to work on incorporating all of the fixes by next week. I am going to try to do a better remaster possibly based on box pup ( having trouble thus far) or puppy 4.1.1 with a more netbook friendly interface.

I will need help from the experts to fine tune.

Craig

kevin-isca

#65 Post by kevin-isca »

Hi

This sounds really good. If you can get a working puppy with openbox for the aspire I'd love to try it.
How is the battery working with Puppy? The times I have tried booting 4.11 off usb it has seemed to drain far faster than when running Linpus - returned to a simple XFCE state! Time varies but less than two hours rather than 2.5

Cheerio

Boneo

Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000v1.0

#66 Post by Boneo »

I've got my MS bluetooth Notebook mouse 5000v1.0 working at bootup and I've posted my instructions elsewhere in the Forum.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 313#248313

mpierrat25

SD card hanging boot process

#67 Post by mpierrat25 »

I'm running succesfully Puppy on Aspire One with a pendrive (remastered version thanks to iscraigh).

However,
1) even if I can mount SD cards (2 slots), the boot process cannot finish if a SD card is engaged.

2) I'll like to make a dual boot linpus/puppy based on puppy on SD extention card : any experience, comment, advise ?

mp

Fanless_Puppy_Fan

#68 Post by Fanless_Puppy_Fan »

I installed ubuntu 8.04.1 on my AAO and the wireless really bedeviled me until I replaced the default network manager with Wicd. It works a lot better now. I really don't know how this applies to puppy, but that's what worked for me.

tofi

How to save from pendrive

#69 Post by tofi »

Thanks a lot for the Puppy Live AA0-edition. It looks great on my AA0.
Two questions:
1. How can I save changes to the pendrive, and not to the SSD? Seems like puppy wil not permit this. Only option is builtin SSD.
2. Wireless is recognized but it seems like it is impossible to conect via the wizard.

Added:
I a now running the latest version 2 of Puppy live on my AAO, using my Nokia 6680 as a GPRS modem, without any extra config, just setting up the dialup client. All looks very nice and rather fast too.
But still cannot write changes when ending session. How can this be done?

I almost forgot to add that only the left card is reconized.

deputyjones

well done

#70 Post by deputyjones »

Works for my AOA150 (160gb model), and my hat is definitely off to the original poster and Puppy Linux for this.

I have been playing with linux for years installing the latest versions of all the major releases when they come out just to test things and see how the progression of linux is coming along.

In any OS I have not found the combination of functionality, good looks and lightness that Puppy has achieved.

Major kudos to the OP and the puppy linux community.

deputyjones

#71 Post by deputyjones »

btw, I used the included image and unetbootin to create a bootable flash drive and now have everything installed to a 40gb partition I did have set aside for Ubuntu on my machine.

Everything seems to work fine including audio (speakers mute when headphones plugged in), video and wifi. I did not test the card readers, sorry.

gerry

#72 Post by gerry »

My Acer came with Windows installed. (Santa Claus got the ram and hd options right, but XP got in as well.) I've got Puppy(One) working from an USB stick. What I'd like to do is shrink the XP partition so as to make room for a couple of Linux partitions. But... I can't unmount the XP partition, presumably because I put a Pup-save there.

What to do?

Gerry

rcrsn51

#73 Post by rcrsn51 »

Boot with "puppy pfix=ram"

However, if you are booting off a flash drive, you may have a problem inserting that option. Read here

gerry

#74 Post by gerry »

Thanks- I copied my pup-save to make a backup, so that I got the choose-a-pupsave menu, and chose 0. But I still can't unmount the hard drive.

Gerry

rcrsn51

#75 Post by rcrsn51 »

Then try modifying the syslinux.cfg file on the flash drive. You will need to add "pfix=ram" to the end of the "append" line.

Is Puppy finding one of its pupxxx.sfs files on the hard drive and using it? That might explain why the hard drive is getting mounted.

gerry

#76 Post by gerry »

I didn't realise it would load the .sfs file, but that is the most likely answer.
Rather than mess about, I've got gparted as a stand-alone program on cd- I'll put it onto a usb stick. That should boot without mounting the HD.

Gerry

paulh177

#77 Post by paulh177 »

Just got an Aspire AOA150-aw, 120GB HDD 1GB RAM

The plan is to leave the preinstalled Linpus on but rejig the partitions so that I can triple boot Puppy (either as full or frugal), XP and Linpus; I want to be able to use the wireless, preferably on all 3 OS

It seems to have Atheros AR5BXB63 wireless (or so it says on the sticker on the back)

Booting the native Linpus, the wireless switch on the front works fine (the light indicating it is working comes on) & the Linpus wireless wizard detects any APs OK, & I can get a wireless connection.

Booting the native Linpus, even when the wireless is not switched on (on the Acer), if i run ifconfig, I can see wifi0 as an interface. With it on, running ifconfig I see ath0 and wifi0. Ifconfig always shows lo and eth0

Booting Puppy 412 from a USB flash drive, I can't -- the switch does nothing, and the network wizard (loading ath_pci or ath5k) detects no interface. Running ifconfig does not show a wireless interface, only lo and eth0, whether or not I try having those modules loaded.

I have spare USB drives so can create other bootable Puppies easily to test, as I realise I'm trying a slightly older version, but not sure what to try next.

The wireless switch not working under Puppy is worrying, and there's no BIOS setting for the wireless.

Please do let me know what other information is needed to help bottom this, and I'll try to supply it.

thanks in advance

Paul

EDIT : It turns out that I am a f*ing buffoon and wireless works (at least in basic unsecured mode I've tested so far); which is a nice demonstration of how, if PEBCAK, it doesn't matter how carefully you describe the problem ...
Last edited by paulh177 on Sun 23 Aug 2009, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Lenovo

#78 Post by Lenovo »

Thanks Ed for the uplifting comment. It is good to know that somehow I could be of help although the thread is way old
comparatif simulation taux credit auto - Taux crédit auto. Comparatif des offres! Les meilleurs taux crédit auto sont sur le net !comparatif simulation taux credit auto

boscobearbank

#79 Post by boscobearbank »

Not on my AOA150-1570 at the moment, but as I recall Puppy 412 used kernel 2.6.25, which means you need to use either the madwifi driver (ath_pci) or ndiswrapper with the Windows Atheros driver. However, the ath5k driver in kernels 2.6.29 and beyond works fine on the Aspire One; check out, for example Woof alpha 9 (http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... up-476.iso)
Bosco Bearbank

paulh177

#80 Post by paulh177 »

Thanks for replying boscobearbank

unfortunately on this occasion PEBCAK so this can be treated as resolved :oops: