Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
perdido

#81 Post by perdido »

jrb wrote:I have uploaded precise-light-5.7.1+0.iso. This will become the new base and (like peebee) any new updates will come as .delta files. I will rewrite the initial page 1 entries.
Thanks for all the help, J
Hi jrb,

That was fast :) Thanks for the nice little puppy.

Will be playing with it a little later today and will report back.

Since you are using .delta files to update there is a utility peebee has that converts a .delta file to a pet, mostly fot those running from live-CD,
Could be useful for those that prefer a .pet instead of a .delta. Will test the script in precise-light and report back.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115088

jrb

#82 Post by jrb »

perdido wrote: Since you are using .delta files to update there is a utility peebee has that converts a .delta file to a pet, mostly fot those running from live-CD,
Could be useful for those that prefer a .pet instead of a .delta
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115088.
Thanks perdido, I will definitely have a look. Have found and fixed the first glitch already, Firefox crashes when opening a file. Will post a .pet for the fix now. Will wait and incorporate it into the first .delta as well.
Attachments
gschema_compile-0.1.pet
Fixes crashing in Firefox when opening a file
(396 Bytes) Downloaded 114 times

peebee

#83 Post by peebee »

Hi jrb

You might think about removing 5MB of /lib/modules/all-firmware from the .iso given that you've included a good selection of firmware in the puppy.sfs?

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture28346.png
(235.46 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jrb

#84 Post by jrb »

peebee wrote:Hi jrb

You might think about removing 5MB of /lib/modules/all-firmware from the .iso given that you've included a good selection of firmware in the puppy.sfs?

Cheers
peebee
Excellent suggestion. There's 5 mb in the puppy.sfs and 20 in the zdrv. I'll remove the 5 and start testing.
Thanks, J

Volhout

conky

#85 Post by Volhout »

@musher0
your proposal worked, I manually tuned the background color.

@jrb
modified your script to match my needs, but it took me a while before I understood that feh could not handle svg's.....
In the wallpapers there are svg's and jpg's.

Downloaded a nice wallpaper in jpg, and am happy...

Thnx

Volhout

I may adopt the +0 later.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j8Kxf ... 9c_d4afMws
Last edited by Volhout on Fri 12 Apr 2019, 19:42, edited 3 times in total.

perdido

#86 Post by perdido »

perdido wrote:

Since you are using .delta files to update there is a utility peebee has that converts a .delta file to a pet, mostly fot those running from live-CD,
Could be useful for those that prefer a .pet instead of a .delta. Will test the script in precise-light and report back.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115088

Tested the utility script using precise-light. It is not compatible with precise-light
(nor puppy-precise 5.7.1) and gives inconsistent results.

Easy workaround for using the utility script is run it in bionicpup32.

jrb

#87 Post by jrb »

perdido wrote:Tested the utility script using precise-light. It is not compatible with precise-light
I added some script to the beginning and end of iso_delta2pet_v1.tar.gz and converted it to iso_delta2pet-1.3.pet. Seems to work alright in Precise. Will include it in next update.

Cheers, J
Last edited by jrb on Sat 13 Apr 2019, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

perdido

#88 Post by perdido »

jrb wrote:
perdido wrote:Tested the utility script using precise-light. It is not compatible with precise-light
I added some script to the beginning and end of iso_delta2pet_v1.tar.gz and converted it to iso_delta2pet-1.2.pet. Seems to work alright in Precise. Will include it in next update.

Cheers, J
I will give it a test and report back :)

jrb

Re: conky

#89 Post by jrb »

Volhout wrote:Downloaded a nice wallpaper in jpg, and am happy...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j8Kxf ... 9c_d4afMws
8)
This is why I encourage people to build their own desktops. They do a much nicer job than I do.

musher0

#90 Post by musher0 »

jrb wrote:I have uploaded precise-light-5.7.1+0.iso. This will become the new base and (like peebee) any new updates will come as .delta files. (...)
Thanks for all the help, J
Delta files? Yikes!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

perdido

#91 Post by perdido »

Hi jrb,

Thanks for turning the iso_delta2pet script into a pet with ROX right-click option.:)

Got some good news first.
The pet installs and the script runs properly in the bionicpup32 I was testing in. The right-click options work fine.

Now the not-so-good news.
The script still does not run properly in precise 5.7.1 or precise-light
That is not your fault, it was not running properly in precise since the script was developed. The right-click options worked fine.

After testing the pet in precise it is giving me the same results as my first testing of the script, there is a difference in the size of the resulting pet
between precise 5.7.1/light and bionicpup32. I am using peebee's upupbb-18.05.iso and upupbb-18.05.iso___upupbb-18.05+22.iso.delta to test with.
--------------------------
Tested with
upupbb-18.05.iso - the iso is 258MB
upupbb-18.05.iso___upupbb-18.05+22.iso.delta - the delta is 58MB

After running the script in bionicpup32 results in a pet that is 41.1MB
After running the script in precise 5.7.1 & precise-light results in a pet that is 8085KB.

I have attached the output from terminal for both precise and bionic as text files in case you are curious.
Have also included a tree of the directories that were created from both precise and bionic as txt files in case you wished to compare output.

I suspect it could be something different between the bionic / precise versions of any of the following deps

Code: Select all

# depends: bash, isoinfo, xdelta3, md5sum, unsquashfs, dir2pet (also diff, find)

I ran the script about 20 times total trying to get different results, what is the definition of crazy? :)

All the txt files are attached to this post as a tar.gz
Attachments
D2P-Comparison-Output.tar.gz
Contains all terminal output from both precise & bionic32 plus directory tree listings of the generated .PET files including total file count.
(9.11 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

perdido

#92 Post by perdido »

Hi jrb,

Found the iso_delta2pet_v1.sh fix for precise-light.
Now getting the same results in bionic32 and precise-light :)

in precise replace
/bin/find
/usr/bin/diff

with the attached files from bionicpup32
Attachments
diff-find-bionicpup32.tar.gz
Contains "find" and "diff" & info.txt
(197.76 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

jrb

#93 Post by jrb »

perdido wrote:Hi jrb,

Found the iso_delta2pet_v1.sh fix for precise-light.
Now getting the same results in bionic32 and precise-light :)

in precise replace
/bin/find
/usr/bin/diff

with the attached files from bionicpup32
Excellent! I had tracked the problem down to /usr/bin/diff and come up with a solution of replacing /bin/busybox with an updated one from slitzaz and linking diff to it. Worked but changing busybox could introduce problems elsewhere so I'm glad you found this. I never would have expected Bionic binaries to work in Precise. Good find. 8)

Edit: Just tried your fix and it worked perfectly :D

perdido

#94 Post by perdido »

jrb wrote:
Edit: Just tried your fix and it worked perfectly :D
Good to hear that :)

[deleted the rest of reply as it did not apply to the new version of the script in your pet]

musher0

#95 Post by musher0 »

Please guys,

Devise something simple?

Something regular user Joe Bloe doesn't have to do contortions over?
IMO delta files require that the user do contortions.

Delta Is really a fragile format and procedure.
You give any wrong parameter and your original file becomes unusable.
Somewhat scary.

Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

jrb

#96 Post by jrb »

musher0 wrote:Please guys,

Devise something simple?
Let's see, you download the original .iso into a folder. You download the .delta file into the same folder. You click once on the .delta and then click "Generate".

Sorry musher0, I don't think I can come up with anything much simpler. :wink:

The only time I ever had trouble with the process was when I had a bad download of the original .iso file and the Xdelta file difference manager told me I had an md5sum mismatch.

Seriously, just try it my way one time and if it doesn't work for you I'll eat up my restricted bandwidth uploading new .iso's.

Cheers, J

musher0

#97 Post by musher0 »

Hi jrb.

Fine. I'll take your word for it.

But top of this page, perdido says:
Thanks for turning the iso_delta2pet script into a pet with ROX right-click option.
To me that's confusing. Do you already have a delta for your new iso?
And that delta can be changed into a pet?

Please enlighten me.
I'm certainly not going to "delta" anything every second day.

TIA.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

perdido

#98 Post by perdido »

musher0 wrote:Hi jrb.

Fine. I'll take your word for it.

But top of this page, perdido says:
Thanks for turning the iso_delta2pet script into a pet with ROX right-click option.
To me that's confusing. Do you already have a delta for your new iso?
And that delta can be changed into a pet?

Please enlighten me.
I'm certainly not going to "delta" anything every second day.

TIA.
Hi musher0,

For the record I also wrote the following directly after the line you just quoted. As you can see, I was testing
with an iso & delta from bionicpup32 in two different OS to test the pet jrb made.

Got some good news first.
The pet installs and the script runs properly in the bionicpup32 I was testing in. The right-click options work fine.

Now the not-so-good news.
The script still does not run properly in precise 5.7.1 or precise-light
That is not your fault, it was not running properly in precise since the script was developed. The right-click options worked fine.

After testing the pet in precise it is giving me the same results as my first testing of the script, there is a difference in the size of the resulting pet
between precise 5.7.1/light and bionicpup32. I am using peebee's upupbb-18.05.iso and upupbb-18.05.iso___upupbb-18.05+22.iso.delta to test with.
--------------------------
Tested with
upupbb-18.05.iso - the iso is 258MB
upupbb-18.05.iso___upupbb-18.05+22.iso.delta - the delta is 58MB

I didn't mean for it to be so boring that only the first sentence would get read.

jrb will be creating a whole new .iso for the updates but only needs to provide the actual differences between the
new and old .iso with the .delta file, it will be up to the user to either apply them as .delta or make a .pet and load with PPM

For those of us not on unlimited bandwidth plans it is much more efficient to upload a 10MB .delta than a 100MB .iso

The delta2pet utility can create a .pet from a .delta file if you prefer a .pet. . jrb simplified that process by turning the script into a ROX right-click utility.
You will have to have the original .iso (available in first post) and the (yet to be created) delta file in the same directory before right-clicking on the .delta
file and choosing "iso_delta2pet" in the right-click menu.

musher0

#99 Post by musher0 »

Ah.

Clarity, finally.

Thank you very much, perdido.

(BTW, I have a cap on my bandwidth too.)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

jrb

#100 Post by jrb »

perdido wrote:jrb will be creating a whole new .iso for the updates but only needs to provide the actual differences between the
new and old .iso with the .delta file, it will be up to the user to either apply them as .delta or make a .pet and load with PPM
Nicely explained perdido.

I would like to add that update .pets created by iso_delta2pet should only be used by people who boot from live CD's and DVD's and don't want to make a new one. Or people who use a full install, which I really discourage. The great strength of Puppy is the frugal install with its read-only files. Only the save files can be corrupted and if you back those up you're covered. 8)

Many people who come to Puppy from other distros do not understand this and use fragile full installs because that's what they're used to. We need to educate them.

Enough preaching. Cheers, J