Running Puppy on Acer Aspire One

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
sailorbear2004

#81 Post by sailorbear2004 »

I may be late but did you look at this thread... http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 63&t=35424
I have an acer AOA 150 ZG5 9.5 inch screen, 120 gig(upgraded to 250gig), with windows xp, linux mint 6.0, and 3 puppys using grub to pick which I use. this one worked wonders and is the one I use the most. http://puppylinux.ca/members/aspirepup/ .I have tried numerous puppys and othe nix's because at boot this computer gives me the option of running from a flash drive. so I install the linux to a usb 4gig drive and then just boot from there. linux mint even has wobbly windows and spinning cube. I love my acer.
sailorbear2004

#82 Post by sailorbear2004 »

Oh my,,,didn't realize how old this was.....yikes. where are my reading glasses....
gary101

#83 Post by gary101 »

I know this is an old(ish) post but I just thought I would add something.

At Christmas I had a client with an aspire one with 8GB ssd that was broken. I modded the One to take a Toshiba 1.8 inch hard drive and reinstalled linpus for her.

She has now come back and asked that I put puppy on for her and I have installed 4.2.1.

I can report that the resolution and webcam work from the box. wifi worked with the updated driver.

Just got to get the internal mic working (have tried the patched driver) and the SD card slots.

I got rid of all the desktop icons and installed wbar with just the apps and folders she needs.

Looking very good.
If it's not one thing it's your mother
tofi

#84 Post by tofi »

I'm not able to get WiFi working when running Puppy on my AAO.
Where do you get the updated WiFi driver and how do you change the driver?
T_Hobbit

#85 Post by T_Hobbit »

Anyone available to make a new Puppy version for AspireOne?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:
jinx100

#86 Post by jinx100 »

I've had fair luck running lupu-515 from a USB stick on my AspireOne.

Works:

1. Correct 1024x600 resolution at start.
2. Wireless and wireless switch (LED shows activity, not on status).
3. Audio okay but not mute or volume from keyboard.
4. Video is okay use xv.
5. Camera application works - mic not yet tested.
6. Screen dimming from keyboard works.
7. Headphones work and mute the speakers.
8. USB mouse and trackpad work.
9. CPU frequency switch okay.

Does not work:

1. Cannot mount the internal SSD.
2. Both card readers seem dead.

EDIT: Fixed card readers by -
1. Force loading of pciehp kernel module at start. Use setup.
2. Add /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf file with the line
options pciehp pciehp_force=1

EDIT2: A hint for the internal SSD problem. For some reason Puppy thinks my SSD with Linpus is formatted vfat. It is really ext2 and Gparted agrees it is ext2. The console command:

mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

mounts the drive correctly. Why does Puppy think the drive is vfat?

I like to think that a $6.00 thumb drive provides a new computer!
Last edited by jinx100 on Sat 25 Dec 2010, 03:34, edited 2 times in total.
pemasu

#87 Post by pemasu »

Someone had success with this puppy with some Acer Aspire One :)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 441#479441
nooby

#88 Post by nooby »

My Acer Aspire one is a D250 10" and using N270 CPU also Atheros and I also ahve trouble with 1024x600 at times and the best Puppy I have used are Fluppy010 that Jemimah has done but you should also try pemasu's Snowy Puppy and that one are very good too. I use both of them.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
jinx100

#89 Post by jinx100 »

I am very happy with Puppy Linux on my Acer Aspire One. Currently using version 517 which is a beta for Puppy Lucid 5.2. I've never had any problems with the display resolution and adding Xorg High has helped the video playback.

It still thinks the SSD is VFAT but a hack is to "Edit Item" on the drive icon so it passes "drive ext2" not "drive vfat" as arguments for the executable. This will stick between restarts and clicking on the icon will mount the drive.

Most versions of Puppy Linux should boot and run faster on the Aspire Ones. Loading into RAM is much better than the original HD or SSD.