Browser adapter for 32 bit software on 64 bit hardware

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
greengeek

Browser adapter for 32 bit software on 64 bit hardware

#1 Post by greengeek »

Hi all, I run a 32 bit Puppy on 64bit capable hardware. I have seen "32bit compatibility" libs available for 64 bit pups, but I am wondering if the reverse is possible - ie "32 bit compatibility libs" for 64 bit pups?

I do not want to upgrade to a 64 bit browser (as that enables remote control of my browsing experience) - I just want to browse with a 32bit browser regardless of whether I am in a 32 bit pup or a 64 bit pup.

Am I dreaming?

cheers!

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Are you asking if there is a way to run 64bit software on a 32bit Puppy?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

I do not want to upgrade to a 64 bit browser (as that enables remote control of my browsing experience)
I may be wrong, but I do not think the bit version of the browser has anything to do with how it actually operates. The features it has.
The code in the browser determines what it can do.

Software is just going to 64bit, because operating systems are going to 64bit. Not a lot of 32bit OS around.
Software is coded to work in 64bit to be compatible with the OS.
Also, the 64bit processors in computers need 64bit code to access the full features they offer for processing code.

I think you should be looking more at the features of the browser and the ability to adjust settings to have it work the way you want it to.
enables remote control of my browsing experience
Please, what remote control are you talking about??
YaPI(any iso installer)

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

bigpup wrote:Not a lot of 32bit OS around.?
Still plenty of 32 bit OS around. Many medical machines still run on XP. Most Puppians use 32bit.

The real question is "why use 64bit browsers"?

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

ANY 32bit code will work on 64bit machines and OS's. There is no need for anything more than making sure that the correct libraries are avilable.
No 64bit code will run on a 32bit machine or OS if it is truly 64bit.

You would struggle to find any new machines that were not 64bit capable now, unless they were deliberately constructed that way.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

Sorry guys - i have just realised that my first post is pretty nonsensical. I have not expressed what I was meaning.

I think what I was trying to ask is: if I needed to run a 64bit browser (in order to access a banking site) could I do so using a 32bit pup on 64bit hardware?

Is there a qemu or virtualbox way to do this? Any way I can fool the site into being happy with my browser without me upgrading to a 64bit pup?

Or, to put it another way - given that my hardware is 64bit capable, can a 32bit pup run any 64bit code in a sandbox or similar?

phew, finally got it out. Hope the question is understandable.
:)

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

bigpup wrote:Please, what remote control are you talking about??
Things like the ability of the browser to switch on microphone and webcam, autostart popup videos, run code in the background, play background music in a browser tab other than the one I am currently viewing - that sort of stuff.

Also apparently webRTC allows different browser tabs to share information. Not sure where I read that or what info it was referring to. I think it was suggesting that passwords used in one tab could be sniffed by other tabs.
(ie if you sign in with Google ID on one tab you automatically get a Google channel opened up to other sites on other tabs - which may not be what you intended.

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

I actually do not think they would communicate over the web in any different way. The only thing the bank could do is ask your browser what version it is running and whether you are running any security software.
I any case I don't see why they should care provided that security is maintained.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

can a 32bit pup run any 64bit code in a sandbox or similar?

No way that I know how.

64bit Puppies can run 32bit software by loading their 32bit compatibility libs sfs package.
Also apparently webRTC allows different browser tabs to share information.
You could disable webRTC.
How to do it in several browsers.
https://whoer.net/blog/article/how-to-d ... -browsers/
Things like the ability of the browser to switch on microphone and webcam, autostart popup videos, run code in the background, play background music in a browser tab other than the one I am currently viewing - that sort of stuff.
That should all be able to be controlled by settings in the browser.

Here is how to control the camera and microphone
https://letsrabbit.zendesk.com/hc/en-us ... my-browser
YaPI(any iso installer)

s243a

#10 Post by s243a »

greengeek wrote:Sorry guys - i have just realised that my first post is pretty nonsensical. I have not expressed what I was meaning.

I think what I was trying to ask is: if I needed to run a 64bit browser (in order to access a banking site) could I do so using a 32bit pup on 64bit hardware?

Is there a qemu or virtualbox way to do this? Any way I can fool the site into being happy with my browser without me upgrading to a 64bit pup?

Or, to put it another way - given that my hardware is 64bit capable, can a 32bit pup run any 64bit code in a sandbox or similar?

phew, finally got it out. Hope the question is understandable.
:)
I think that there was a version of emsee-ultra that could do something like this.