Can't get Slacko64 to recognise Intel Wireless 8260

temp-account8260

Can't get Slacko64 to recognise Intel Wireless 8260

#1 Post by temp-account8260 »

I have installed many mainstream OSs on this device which have been able to detect my wireless card. The wireless hardware is Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC(2x2) 8260 vPro (aka Intel Corporation Wireless 8260) which works on Debian when iwlwifi firmware is installed.

I have installed slacko64-6.3.2 and installed iwlwifi, checking that the /lib/firmware folder contains all the .ucode files. I also installed all the files http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... /20180310/ , in an attempt to add any missing drivers.
I have rebooted several times.

How might I get this wireless to work?

ozsouth

#2 Post by ozsouth »

I think it may be missing firmware or kernel incompatibility.
In a terminal, run lspci & see if your wireless adaptor is recognised. Assuming it is, open /var/log/messages in a text editor & search all wlan entries. Will tell you which iwlwifi .ucode is needed. Latest firmware is here: http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/linux-firmware/
If adaptor is NOT seen by lscpi, apparently latest intel dual-band wireless doesn't work with kernels less than 4.14 series.
Those kernels are available here: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Huge-Kernels

temp-account8260

#3 Post by temp-account8260 »

Thank you :) lspci is returning some vague information, "Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 24f3 (rev 3a)" and the messages file does not mention any wlan or wireless device so I think the issue would be the small kernel.

I have downloaded huge-4.4.131-slacko.tar.bz2 (the newest slacko kernel in that list) and extracted it to find kernel-modules.sfs-4.4.131-slacko and vmlinuz-4.4.131-slacko. I'm not certain what to do with them and don't want to ruin the kernel.

ozsouth

#4 Post by ozsouth »

OK, kernel is the likely issue. The kernel link lists kernels in ASCII order, not numerical order, so 4.14 comes after 4.1. The 4.4 32bit kernel you downloaded will not resolve this issue. 4.14.49 64bit would be worth trying.
Huge kernel packages contain vmlinuz & modules files. Assuming you have done a frugal install or are running live, move the original vmlinuz and zdrv_slacko64_6.3.2.sfs elsewhere, and rename the new vmlinuz-4.14.49 as vmlinuz and the kernel-modules-sfs-4.14.49 as zdrv_slacko64_6.3.2.sfs, placing them where the originals were. A reboot will load the new kernel, and lspci should show the wireless adaptor, with /var/log/messages showing which .ucode is needed.

temp-account8260

#5 Post by temp-account8260 »

ozsouth wrote:The kernel link lists kernels in ASCII order, not numerical order, so 4.14 comes after 4.1. The 4.4 32bit kernel you downloaded will not resolve this issue. 4.14.49 64bit would be worth trying.
Thank you for picking that up, I didn't notice.

I tried with 4.14.49 64bit and 4.14.35 64bit and both are launching, and wlan0 is now showing up. Thanks! However these kernels are failing to run X so I have no GUI. I will make a new thread on the correct topic board tomorrow but it seems from the logs and config as if it's detecting 3 monitors on my laptop instead of 1 and failing. xorgwizard runs fine and suceeds but then xwin exits.

ozsouth

#6 Post by ozsouth »

When running xorgwizard, try the 'modesetting' driver. I have to use that to run slacko.

temp-account8260

#7 Post by temp-account8260 »

Same here, I need to use modesetting for the test to work. When I do, I get the correct resolution (1920x1080) although the default resolutions also pass this test:

"Puppy Xorg Video Wizard: testing X

If you can see this, then X is working!"
(etc.)

I can click the OK button, finish and return to command prompt. Then running xwin still won't work. Maybe the wizard settings don't get saved?

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

What is the graphics hardware?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

temp-account8260

#9 Post by temp-account8260 »

bigpup wrote:What is the graphics hardware?
Intel Corporation Graphics 520

Here is the output after running xorgwizard successfully and then xwin:

Code: Select all

# xwin
Starting X, specs in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, startup apps /root/.xinitrc...
Exited from X. Type "xwin [fvwm95|jwm]" to restart X ([] mmean optional).
and then the text prompting to poweroff or reboot, or run xorgwizard

Here is a link to the /var/log/Xorg.0.log output. Near the bottom it did say "Unknown chipset" so I think that may be the issue.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

Did you have X working in your original install of Slacko64, before you switched kernels?

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Intel Corporation Graphics 520
slacko64-6.3.2 is using a open source driver for all the graphics hardware.
For Intel it is the Intel i915 driver.

It is designed to use all the latest features of the latest Intel graphics hardware, even if your hardware does not have all of these features.

Depending on the hardware and what it supports.

Using this as an added option, when booting, can fix a lot of graphics issues.

i915.modeset=0
If you are booting with a boot menu.
Add this to the end of the kernel line in the menu entry
Example:
(this is Grub4dos boot menu entry for Xenialpup, but Slacko entry will be similar)

title Puppy xenialpup 7.5 (sdc3/xenialpup75uefi) Gaming
  uuid 24a14d90-6d75-4276-a6a0-ef026f8d07cf
  kernel /xenialpup75uefi/vmlinuz   psubdir=xenialpup75uefi pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck i915.modeset=0
  initrd /xenialpup75uefi/initrd.gz
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

temp-account8260

#12 Post by temp-account8260 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Did you have X working in your original install of Slacko64, before you switched kernels?
Yes, it was working correctly.
bigpup wrote:Using this as an added option, when booting, can fix a lot of graphics issues.

i915.modeset=0
That worked. Thank you all for your fast and effective help! I added that code to extlinux.conf as suggested in the Release Notes (I couldn't find the other listed files by using `find / -name [filename]`).
The first boot was a little odd with sizing and so I tried Xorgwizard which failed badly with the same issue as before, but the next boot it was fine and now I'm happily running Slacko64 with Wi-Fi and graphics.

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just out of curiosity, have a look in the Xorg log.

What driver did it end up using? The intel driver? Or did it fall back to vesa?