Messed up my 2.01, can't make a bootable restore

Using applications, configuring, problems
Al

Messed up my 2.01, can't make a bootable restore

#1 Post by Al »

I've messedd up my 2.01 puppy, which contains gimp, cups, and a lot of other additions. Trying to restore it, I've made a directory on my hd, and named it puppyrescue201.
Inside that directory I've copied the following from the messed-up 2.01 puppy CD:
boot.cat
boot.msg
initrd.gz
isolinux.bin
isolinux.cfg
pup201.sfs
vmlinuz
several session directories
I'm trying to restore my puppy by burning these files to a new, bootable CD, but I can't get it to work--it won't boot. I'm using xcdroast from my Slackware HD installation, but no matter what I do in the "make CD bootable" options, nothing works.
Any ideas? If I can get a restored 2.01 with all my additions, then I can think about migrating to 2.10 (I already have the 2.10 iso.)
Thanks for any help.
HairyWill

recovering data from non booting multisession disk

#2 Post by HairyWill »

When you say
messedd up my 2.01 puppy
do you mean it won't boot, or that there is a problem after it has booted?
several session directories
So you're using a live multi-session CD/DVD. You might have better luck if you got all the other files from a clean working copy and then combine with your session directories. You may want to boot using

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=1
if the last saved session contains some of your mess.
Al

Fixed it.

#3 Post by Al »

Fixed it just this morning. What had happened was that when I tried to migrate to 2.10, some unreadable, session folders were put onto the 2.01 CD. It would still boot, but there were all kinds of complaints, such as input-output errors, and "trying to access beyond the device,' etc. I was able to delete those bogus folders and save the CD minus a couple of files. Once I got rid of the folders, the CD would boot up normally, without complaints. When the CD gets full, I'm going to try to migrate to 2.10, which is what caused the problem in the first place. I seem to recall the instructions saying something like "have the 2.10 CD ready, but don't insert it yet." Well, I believe I left the old 2.01 CD in, and that's when the bogus folders got written onto the old CD. When I go to migrate to 2.10 I will have to be very careful, and also have a backup 2.01 before I migrate.