What browser works best in Xenial64?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
J_D_

What browser works best in Xenial64?

#1 Post by J_D_ »

Using Xenialpup 64 bit. Seems to be a perfect operating system. {I have said that about a few other pups over the years} Now I need a browser that is just as good. I really like Palemoon but it does not work well with Yahoo mail. It works but not as well as it could and some Youtube videos do not work. I do not hate Firefox but I can not get sound on Youtube. So, is there a perfect browser that does everything ?

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Try Fred's portable firefox. It has the sound fix built in, upgrade hooked up and you can put it literally anywhere and it will run.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112376

Download is at the bottom of the first post.

J_D_

#3 Post by J_D_ »

OK, thanks. Going there now.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Have you updated Pale Moon?

Give a link to something not working on You tube.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Also try Mike Walsh's Palemoon portable, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 85#1015085 and Google-Chrome, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... QVfrDnr5w- from his Google-drive. The one of the left is a pet, on the right is an SFS. I prefer SFSes under my Xenialpup64.

Note Google-Chrome runs as Spot. Search for information about that if you're not already familiar with how Spot requires you to adjust your routine. Mike has lessened some of the annoyance by including in his builds a module for handling the transfer of files to and from the Spot folder.

By the way, it would have (a) been nice if you had posted your question to the Xenialpup64 thread; and (b) clearly identified the issue in your post's title.

J_D_

#6 Post by J_D_ »

bigpup wrote:Have you updated Pale Moon?

Give a link to something not working on You tube.
If I update Palemoon, Yahoo mail fails. Youtube videos generally work on Youtube but not when embedded on another site. Some do not work even on Youtube but I will have to search to link one. Most do work.

J_D_

#7 Post by J_D_ »

dancytron wrote:Try Fred's portable firefox. It has the sound fix built in, upgrade hooked up and you can put it literally anywhere and it will run.

Do I need to remove my current Firefox before I download from Freds Link ? If so how ?

fredx181

#8 Post by fredx181 »

J_D_ wrote:
dancytron wrote:Try Fred's portable firefox. It has the sound fix built in, upgrade hooked up and you can put it literally anywhere and it will run.

Do I need to remove my current Firefox before I download from Freds Link ? If so how ?
No, not needed to remove installed Firefox, the portable is separated, just run the ff script from extracted directory.

EDIT: btw, there's also a portable Firefox-ESR, provided by Mike Walsh, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 11#1018511

Fred

spiritwild

#9 Post by spiritwild »

I had given up on Firefox for a while in xenial 32bit. Pulseaudio started getting silly so I finally just removed it completely. I never could get pulse to work for me but finally did using this:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libasound.so.2 firefox

Dunno if that's a proper way but it worked for me.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Yo, J_D_, Mate..
I really like Palemoon but it does not work well with Yahoo mail. It works but not as well as it could and some Youtube videos do not work. I do not hate Firefox but I can not get sound on Youtube. So, is there a perfect browser that does everything?
Yahoo's NOT an issue w/28.4.0.

Some YT videos?

Think. Leave @ least TWO urls you're unable to play.

FF sound has been addressed w/apulse.

Finally, there's NO ONE BROWSER that does it all.

Depending upon circumstance, Chromium, PM, FF and Slimjet are a good mix to have in your stable.

J_D_

#11 Post by J_D_ »

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

Make sure'n refresh the page @ least once...
Attachments
yourvid.jpg
(56.59 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

No joy? Try the appropriate Chromium build here.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

They both work for me using Pale Moon 28.4.0
I am running it in Bionicpup64 8.0
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ozsouth

#15 Post by ozsouth »

@_J_D - both youtubes work in Seamonkey 2.49.4 & I also use yahoo pop mail with it. I use Slacko64-700rc3, but also works in Xenialpup64-7.5. It DOES require gtk3 - xenialpup64-7.5 version is here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=068 ... 1590344795

J_D_

#16 Post by J_D_ »

I have tried a few things. Downloaded pulse audio. Installed Chromium but it will not open. I think I may do a fresh install and start over.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

Start over fresh? Then unless you have a significant reason to run 64, consider Xenial32. 32bit Pups <and not only in my opinion> are more compatible with available Pup pkgs, are more forgiving and way less headache than 64's. Yeah my machine's 64, but, really, I don't bother. Try it. You'd be hard pressed to notice any difference.

J_D_

#18 Post by J_D_ »

Well, I did the 64 right after I posted. Only takes a minute. I did not update anything, just using as is. Palemoon still only shows todays emails in Yahoo and some of the features do not work. I am ok with that for now. Youtube is working fine.
Next I will try to do Seamonkey or Chromium again. Not sure on that. Not looking to do anything complicated. Probably install debi and get my printer working. Or not. Not printing much these days. This operating system is so fast and smooth I hate to go back to something else.

J_D_

#19 Post by J_D_ »

Just noticed Chromium has 4 items listed in the package manager. Would it be best to install from there ?

Semme

#20 Post by Semme »

No. Because Pup runs as root, most all compatible builds are packaged by community members.