An economical and safe way to cook an egg with a microwave oven

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
nic007

An economical and safe way to cook an egg with a microwave oven

#1 Post by nic007 »

There are ways to cook an egg inside a microwave oven but there's always a good chance of an explosion so I took a safe route. This worked perfectly for me: fill a ceramic coffee cup two-thirds with water and bring to boil in microwave (about 2 minutes) > place egg in cup, cover with a lid (I just used some plastic lid lying around), cover with a plastic bag and let sit for 6 minutes > remove egg, place cup in microwave again en bring to boil (about 1 minute) > place egg in cup again as before and let sit for another 10 minutes. Perfect.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

A woman making a YouTube video about potato salad wanted to boil a bunch of eggs for the potato salad. Instead of boiling the eggs in their shells, then peeling off the shells, she cracked the raw eggs and put their contents, with yolks unbroken, in a casserole dish and cooked them in a microwave until they were solid. Then all she had to do was chop them up. Genius, if you ask me.

Isn't a poached egg just a boiled egg that was cooked after removing it from the shell?

LNSmith

An economical and safe way to cook an egg with a microwave o

#3 Post by LNSmith »

(0) Hey, hey, "0" is a number too! Put 1 tsp of olive oil in a small bowl.
(1) Break an egg the bowl. Remove fragments of eggshell.
(2) Whisk, then add milk and whisk again. (I found a vy small whisk for this).
(3) Add salt to taste.

In my 600W microwave: 1m 20s on "high". 20s "off", then 4m 40s on "medium" power.

Eat on toast, with chopped parsley.
Part of The Great YUM in my life.

Leslie

LNSmith

An economical and safe way to cook an egg with a microwave

#4 Post by LNSmith »

If you want to cook an egg in the shell, then boil enough water to cover an egg. Crack the egg-shell and drop that into the boiling water. Using medium (or low) microwave power cook the egg. Helps if the container has a light-weight lid,

Leslie

J_D_

Re: An economical and safe way to cook an egg with a microwave o

#5 Post by J_D_ »

LNSmith wrote:(0) Hey, hey, "0" is a number too! Put 1 tsp of olive oil in a small bowl.
(1) Break an egg the bowl. Remove fragments of eggshell.
(2) Whisk, then add milk and whisk again. (I found a vy small whisk for this).
(3) Add salt to taste.

In my 600W microwave: 1m 20s on "high". 20s "off", then 4m 40s on "medium" power.

Eat on toast, with chopped parsley.
Part of The Great YUM in my life.

Leslie

Pretty close to what I do but 2 1/2 minutes at 1000 watts. I generally microwave some saussage, chop it up and mix it with the eggs. Sort of a fast omelet.

nic007

Re: An economical and safe way to cook an egg with a microwave

#6 Post by nic007 »

LNSmith wrote:If you want to cook an egg in the shell, then boil enough water to cover an egg. Crack the egg-shell and drop that into the boiling water. Using medium (or low) microwave power cook the egg. Helps if the container has a light-weight lid,

Leslie
Lowest setting may work but still a chance of an explosion. I think I'll stick with my bulletproof method.
Last edited by nic007 on Fri 02 Aug 2019, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

Flash wrote:A woman making a YouTube video about potato salad wanted to boil a bunch of eggs for the potato salad. Instead of boiling the eggs in their shells, then peeling off the shells, she cracked the raw eggs and put their contents, with yolks unbroken, in a casserole dish and cooked them in a microwave until they were solid. Then all she had to do was chop them up. Genius, if you ask me.

Isn't a poached egg just a boiled egg that was cooked after removing it from the shell?
I'm surprised the yolks didn't explode.

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

Instead of letting it sit outside the microwave oven in a plastic bag, I think I'll just let it sit inside the microwave oven as it will still be warm inside because of bringing the water to boil. So the same procedure as with my first post but without the plastic bag and keeping it inside the microwave oven.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

I just read a way to do it by placing the egg in a bowl of water and just put it in the microwave.
Egg is completely covered by water.
They talked about 5 to 8 minutes cook time, depending on how many eggs.

The key trick is to add 1/2 teaspoon of salt for each egg.
They said the salt keeps the eggs from exploding :shock: 8)

I wonder if the microwaves are heating the water more than the egg. Thus the inside of the egg is not getting high enough temp to explode. :idea:
The temp of the water is doing the cooking.
Microwave ovens produce heat directly within the food, but despite the common misconception that microwaved food cooks from the inside out, 2.45 GHz microwaves can only penetrate approximately 1 centimeter (0.39 in) into most foods. The inside portions of thicker foods are mainly heated by heat conducted from the outer 1 centimeter (0.39 in)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

nic007 wrote:I'm surprised the yolks didn't explode.
I assume the reason eggs are said to explode if they're microwaved (I've never tried it) is, the shell resists breaking until a considerable pressure has built inside it. Remove the egg from the shell and pressure can't build, so there can be no explosion.

phat7

#11 Post by phat7 »

Flash wrote:Remove the egg from the shell and pressure can't build, so there can be no explosion.
If this were true then picking a hole into the egg would do. That's what you should do when boiling eggs in water to keep the shell from cracking. There must be more to it. Maybe it's because in a microwave heat builds up from inside the egg. The membrane around the yolk keeps the pressure up to a certain degree, then the yolk explodes?

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

Flash wrote:
nic007 wrote:I'm surprised the yolks didn't explode.
I assume the reason eggs are said to explode if they're microwaved (I've never tried it) is, the shell resists breaking until a considerable pressure has built inside it. Remove the egg from the shell and pressure can't build, so there can be no explosion.
The egg explodes because of the super-heating of the yolk which contains more fatty "matter" and thus cause pressure. An egg can explode with or without the shell. A microwave oven heats food from the core outwards in contrast to conventional heating methods.

mikeslr

#13 Post by mikeslr »

Take advantage of global warming:

Place uncracked egg in microwave.
Place microwave in car.
Close car windows.
Come back in an hour.

cthisbear

#14 Post by cthisbear »

mikeslr:

I hates you....but I had a good laugh.

Cheers mate....Chris.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#15 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

Rolling a fresh egg along a flat surface before boiling decreases the possibility of the shell sticking after boiling. Dipping only the sharp end of a cold egg in the boiling water for a few seconds before submerging it slowly usually reduces the chances of the shell cracking.

musher0

#17 Post by musher0 »

Solution: Go for poached eggs with a teaspoon of vinegar in the water! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

To see for myself if eggs could be "boiled" in a microwave, I bought a dozen eggs. I cracked 3 of them and put their contents in a small ceramic dish, yolks unbroken, then nuked them in my microwave oven at 60% power for 2 minutes. The albumin (white) popped and sputtered a bit as it cooked, but didn't explode, and the yolks cooked without any drama at all. After they cooled, I chopped them up and mixed in a spoonful of Miracle Whip and a dash of salt. They were delicious. Next time I'll nuke the eggs at 25% power for 5 minutes and see if the albumin still pops.

nic007

#19 Post by nic007 »

Flash wrote:To see for myself if eggs could be "boiled" in a microwave, I bought a dozen eggs. I cracked 3 of them and put their contents in a small ceramic dish, yolks unbroken, then nuked them in my microwave oven at 60% power for 2 minutes. The albumin (white) popped and sputtered a bit as it cooked, but didn't explode, and the yolks cooked without any drama at all. After they cooled, I chopped them up and mixed in a spoonful of Miracle Whip and a dash of salt. They were delicious. Next time I'll nuke the eggs at 25% power for 5 minutes and see if the albumin still pops.
Shell-less reduces the chances of explosion exponentially but still the yolk is likely to explode if not unbroken (it will if the setting is too high). If you break the yolk by stirring/mixing the whole egg well it makes for excellent scrambled eggs (just add a small bit of butter or margarine) and almost no chance of explosion. In the latter case the scrambled eggs can be cooked on high for about 30 seconds.

musher0

#20 Post by musher0 »

You guys are making me hungry. :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)