Thunderbird/default email icon enhancement

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
boof

Thunderbird/default email icon enhancement

#1 Post by boof »

I'd like the icon to indicate any unread emails not in trash. I hate having to check it manually for new posts.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Are you talking about a status bar icon?
When I used thunderbird, and I think also later with Seamonkey, I used to have a new mail icon in the status tray. I think it was provided by an extension - have you looked for extensions?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

A quick check of the Thunderbird extensions brings up FireTray, but it's been discontinued, so I don't know if it'll work with the more recent versions of Thunderbird.
(For even older versions of Thunderbird, perhaps New Mail Icon will do what you're looking for? Although from the looks of it, it only mentions how many unread/new mails you have as a tray icon tooltip.)

Outside of an extension, you'll need to talk to Mozilla about implementing that functionality.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

The original FireTray worked up till T-Bird 52.....then 'broke' with the move to T-Bird 60. This was soon 'uprated' to work once more.....and then, with the move to T-Bird 68, 'broke' again. And that's the current state of play.....myself, I suspect the new Mozilla WebAPI stuff that replaced the older XUL extension system is responsible.

Much depends on the version of Thunderbird that you're running. I have the 'FireTray' plugin .xpi files for two versions; v0.6.1 for TB45 and also v0.6.2 for TB60. I'm happy to share either of these, but I'll need to know which one is required....OK?

Personally, my older Pups run TB45, the newer ones TB60. TB68 offers nothing except a load of bling, plus 'enhancements' for those using the old-fashioned POP3 protocol. Which does nothing for me, since I use IMAP...

Once installed, you restart TBird, then rt-clk on the tray icon, select 'Preferences', and set it up to suit yourself. You may find THIS post from the 'portable'-Thunderbird thread to be of some use.

Mike. :wink:

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

The traffic at https://github.com/Ximi1970/FireTray/issues/47 shows someone is working on updating Firetray.
There is also another option which has been mentioned on this forum - the qt5 "Birdtray"

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

disciple wrote:The traffic at https://github.com/Ximi1970/FireTray/issues/47 shows someone is working on updating Firetray.
There is also another option which has been mentioned on this forum - the qt5 "Birdtray"
Mm-hm. 'Qt5'. Says it all......and that's the very reason why I won't use it.

Did try it once, when first mentioned on the forum. It has a nasty habit of starting itself multiple times, totally without warning.....

Uh-uh. Not for me, I'm afraid. :( I hope they do manage to fix 'FireTray; it's one of the most useful extensions available for Thunderbird, by far......and this is why I'm currently sticking with T-Bird 45 for older Puppies, and T-Bird 60 for the newer ones.

Because with these, FireTray works. And enabling the 'message notification' in Preferences just enhances this....

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

Are you the one I saw claiming qt5 is an order of magnitude bigger than qt4? Lxpup seems to have a bunch of qt5 versions as sfs at ~15MB only, which is surprisingly small.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

disciple wrote:Are you the one I saw claiming qt5 is an order of magnitude bigger than qt4? Lxpup seems to have a bunch of qt5 versions as sfs at ~15MB only, which is surprisingly small.
Hm. I'm surprised at that.....unless they are, of course, 'stripped', minimal packages. So how d'you explain this SFS, which Phil Broughton built for Tahr64 a few years ago? The SFS is itself over 170 MB; when unpacked, or 'loaded', that inflates to a hair under 500 MB.....

That is enormous. Certainly by Puppy standards. Mind you, when 666philb built it, I believe that was the "full" Qt5 package, with every possible optional module that was available at that time.

(*shrug*)

We all know many apps only require a handful of Qt modules to actually fire-up & run.....