Chromium + Pepper sfs: won't start on Tahrpup

Using applications, configuring, problems
wert

Chromium + Pepper sfs: won't start on Tahrpup

#1 Post by wert »

I used tahrpup 606 and I tried installing chromium_52.0.2743.116+pepper_22.0.0.209_lx.sfs but upon running it, it doesn't load.

running it in rxvt returns the following:
chromium
[14680:14680:1119/111028:FATAL:namespace_sandbox.cc(141)] Check failed: clone_flags & CLONE_NEWUSER.
#0 0x0000b03c4934 <unknown>
#1 0x0000b03dd765 <unknown>
#2 0x0000b35ca2f5 <unknown>
#3 0x0000b35ca372 <unknown>
#4 0x0000b33118a9 <unknown>
#5 0x0000b33123be <unknown>
#6 0x0000b33bb1c3 <unknown>
#7 0x0000b3156a9e <unknown>
#8 0x0000b3155c2c <unknown>
#9 0x0000b038fb22 <unknown>
#10 0x0000b038fbce <unknown>
#11 0x0000b038eec8 <unknown>
#12 0x0000afeba245 <unknown>
#13 0x0000afeb74e7 <unknown>
#14 0x0000ae41baf3 __libc_start_main
#15 0x0000afeba085 <unknown>

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ wert:-

That's a pretty old version of Chromium, mate. If you like the Chromium-based browsers, I'd seriously recommend you take a look at the Iron browser, from SRWare of Germany. It'll do everything Chromium/Chrome themselves will do, and has a lot of privacy stuff built-in to it.

Quite a number of us use it.

If you're at all interested, I have an 'all-in-one' package of Iron v69. This includes all the necessary up-to-date NSS stuff, as well as the required GTK-3.0 items, too.

It's not the newest, but is new enough that it has the current, re-vamped user interface, with the bigger, rounder tabs, extensions & everything better spaced out, etc. It also has the WideVine modules built-in, so you can watch DRM-encoded videos from the likes of NetFlix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Vimeo, etc, etc.

Let me know if you'd like to try it, and I'll let you have the link at my Google Drive.

Mike. :wink:

wert

#3 Post by wert »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ wert:-

That's a pretty old version of Chromium, mate. If you like the Chromium-based browsers, I'd seriously recommend you take a look at the Iron browser, from SRWare of Germany. It'll do everything Chromium/Chrome themselves will do, and has a lot of privacy stuff built-in to it.

Quite a number of us use it.

If you're at all interested, I have an 'all-in-one' package of Iron v69. This includes all the necessary up-to-date NSS stuff, as well as the required GTK-3.0 items, too.

It's not the newest, but is new enough that it has the current, re-vamped user interface, with the bigger, rounder tabs, extensions & everything better spaced out, etc. It also has the WideVine modules built-in, so you can watch DRM-encoded videos from the likes of NetFlix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Vimeo, etc, etc.

Let me know if you'd like to try it, and I'll let you have the link at my Google Drive.

Thanks. I didn't know that chromium has derivatives. I only know it's a derivative of chrome. You can give me the link but right now I'm away from my other wifi setup so next time I get connected I'll download it and give it a try. Although you MUST know that newer chromium versions are completely slow with my machine so if iron is derived from chromium higher than 50s, it may not be suitable. I use the 2004 pentium 4 microprocessor.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ wert:-

Y'know, I hear folks say that a lot round here.

Everyone seems to think that Chromium comes from Chrome.....that 'in the beginning, there was Chrome', and everything else kinda followed.

Nope. (Well, kind of....but not really.)

Google originally developed the Chrome/Chromium code as a single entity; there was no differentiation in the early days. Google fully intended to release the code as an open-source version, called 'Chromium', alongside their own version (which was the same thing, just with some extra, closed-source, 'proprietary' bits added).

As time passed, the 'Chromium Project' became a fully-fledged, separate entity. It occurred to Google that the best way forward was to allow the Chromium Project more or less free rein - to try out all the cutting-edge ideas - and to take each 'stable' version of Chromium as it appeared (the semi-autonomous 'build-bots' churn out dozens, even scores of builds every 24 hours), add their proprietary 'bits', and release the next newest version of Chrome.

And that's how it works, to this day.

-------------------------------------------

I can sympathise with your position. My ancient Dell laptop uses a P4, too.....and although Iron 69 will run on there, it's very, very slow. YouTube is all but unwatchable (the last browser with which I could watch YouTube at a halfway decent speed was the SSE-only build of Palemoon 27.9.4, and it's now no longer supported by YouTube; the last round of 'upgrades' left it floundering by the wayside).....even GTK-Youtube doesn't work that well. Intel always billed the Pentium 4s as being 'multimedia-ready'; I guess in the early days that was true, though the non-HT models were always crap at it. But the multimedia of today is very different to what was around 17 or 18 years ago.

A big part of the trouble is that coders/programmers have grown lazy. Why bother trying to carefully make something fit & work in limited resources? These are the days of machines with 32/64 GB of RAM; terabytes of storage space; ultra-powerful CPUs with dozens of cores and almost unlimited capabilities; GPUs that do near enough everything for you except wash your socks. They don't carefully work out the bits of a library/dependency that they actually need, they just incorporate the entire thing. 'That'll do.' And so software bloat is born....

The fact that this kind of hardware is still only used by a small percentage of uber-geeks to whom the sky's the limit, and money is no object, that doesn't figure into the coder's equation. It exists.....great!! That's what I'll write for; I mean, everybody runs this kinda stuff, don't they?? :roll:

The fact remains that the only browsers that'll let you watch DRM-encoded videos are Chromium-derivatives or Firefox. And they're both very heavy on a P4....

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 19 Nov 2019, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Wert, "You can give me the link but right now I'm away from my other wifi setup so next time I get connected I'll download it and give it a try."

The Other Mike may not have mentioned that the "My Puppy Packages" below his name is the link to his Google-Drive. Iron-69 is in a "Browsers" folder.

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike:-

Cheers for pointing that out, though I hadn't exactly forgotten. It's just from my own experiences of running Chromium derivatives on a P4, I could understand where wert was coming from....! :lol:

I really didn't think there was actually much point in giving him the link, y'see.....but thanks anyway. :D

wert

#7 Post by wert »

These are the days of machines with 32/64 GB of RAM; terabytes of storage space; ultra-powerful CPUs with dozens of cores and almost unlimited capabilities; GPUs that do near enough everything for you except wash your socks.Mike. :wink:
Some cheap smartphones produced in 2019 with 512mb of ram and amd microprocessers with the Oreo OS do amazing stuff on their tiny screens and can load heavy web apps in desktop mode of their browsers such as google drive, read pdf inside chrome, multcloud etc. They'll do smooth html5 gaming, instagram, youtube and facebook. Nowadays it's sd cards that are used for storage and they mostly come in 8gb to 32 for ordinary users. I've never even seen with my eyes tablets or smartphones with more than 4GB ram for students and social media marketers. I believe heavy users like video producers and gammers use the machines in the quote above else which world are you from?

wert

#8 Post by wert »

A big part of the trouble is that coders/programmers have grown lazy. Why bother trying to carefully make something fit & work in limited resources? These are the days of machines with 32/64 GB of RAM; terabytes of storage space; ultra...
if you search for 'lightweigt linux browsers' there are plenty of them. And I think precise pup works with youtube or any video site and it uses seamonkey. But if you install seamonkey on tahrpup or later, videos don't play in seamonkey. By the way I didn't encounter palemoon in my inquiry 'lightweigt linux browsers'.