Sparky Bonsai 64bit (not a puppy)

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
mauros

Sparky Bonsai 64bit (not a puppy)

#1 Post by mauros »

Last edited by mauros on Mon 09 Dec 2019, 14:48, edited 8 times in total.

TiredPup

Networking fail

#2 Post by TiredPup »

Thank you for this. Having installed several versions of the *dog series it was a simple matter to copy /live from the iso to hard drive and manually edit the menu.lst. It booted quickly, looks nice and responds smoothly on my Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, ultra small form factor Dell Optiplex 745. The only issue so far is an inability to connect to the network via the external USB wireless device by D-Link.

The device is identified by various operating systems as rt2800usb or rt2800pci. and it appears to use the "wext" parameter. Peasywifi recognizes wlan0 as the interface of choice but any effort to scan for an interface results in a "wlan0" is not active message. This occurs even when I use the profile tab to create the profile for my home network.

I issued the following from the terminal:

sudo lsmod (rt2800 was listed)
sudo ifconfig -a
sudo iwconfig

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

This resulted in an error message "no such file or folder found".

Do you have any suggestions that might help me resolve this issue?

Thank you for the opportunity to test this software.

mauros

#3 Post by mauros »

Thanx for testing Sparky Bonsai,
You just have to install the firmware.
I think firmware-iwlwifi will cover your hardware.
run on terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install firmware-iwlwifi
If it doesn't respond immediately, reboot with firmware installed and check.
If it works for you, you can make a new module i.e. "02-firmware-wifi.squashfs" and put it into /live for permanent use.

TiredPup

#4 Post by TiredPup »

@mauros: Thank you for your quick response.

I cannot use apt to install firmware-iwlwifi since I cannot successfully connect to the network.

I did google firmware-iwlwifi and was able to download it from the debian buster archives on another system.

I booted into Sparky Bonsai 64 and installed firmware-iwlwifi.

I rebooted.

No luck. I have the same experience as reported above.

I find this to be of interest because peasywifi works so well on this box when booting into rcrsn51's Debiandog Stretch and Debiandog Buster Starter Kit builds.

I am interested in finding a solution to this but am not sure what to do next.

mauros

#5 Post by mauros »

According to Debian rt2800xxx drivers are provided by raling firmware package.
For Buster, its in the package firmware-misc-nonfree.
So, if you don't have a wired LAN connection, try to install the stable package:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-f ... -2_all.deb
or the buster-backports package:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-f ... +1_all.deb
Last edited by mauros on Wed 04 Dec 2019, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

TiredPup

Success!

#6 Post by TiredPup »

I installed the suggested package http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-f ... -2_all.deb.

Success! I am posting from Sparky Bonsai now. Thank you for your help.

ally

#7 Post by ally »

oui

#8 Post by oui »

Hum, that is not really some Puppy project.

It is a guest project asking for hosting at the Puppy forum, can be interesting to compare etc. But if a newbie start here considering having start Puppy, it is not good as it is no Puppy at all now and not in the future!

It would be better to offer to all our guests, w have a lot now, a completely separate forum subdivision for guest as we tolerate them for years along now...

What are the other Puppy find having for opinion about that?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

I agree. This is definitely not a Puppy Project.

dancytron

#10 Post by dancytron »

It isn't a Puppy, but it is a Debian Dog derivative, so a derivative of this forum.

Many have asked many times to get a separate section for all the Dogs and dog derivatives.

Is it really impossible?

mauros

#11 Post by mauros »

Sure, bonsai is a small tree not a puppy.
But somehow or other, dogs love trees. A real puppy should appreciate a bonsai tree.

Technically it's a "puplet", a brunch of a brunch (like ubuntu brunhces for debian etc).

PS: I could put a "not a puppy" on title for pure puppers to ignore the thread.

dancytron

#12 Post by dancytron »

mauros wrote:Sure, bonsai is a small tree not a puppy.
But somehow or other, dogs love trees. A real puppy should appreciate a bonsai tree.

Technically it's a "puplet", a brunch of a brunch (like ubuntu brunhces for debian etc).

PS: I could put a "not a puppy" on title for pure puppers to ignore the thread.
Changing the title to show it is a DD derivative and not a puppy would be a good thing to do.

dancytron

#13 Post by dancytron »

I installed it with a manual frugal install, save to folder on exit.

As a puppy/dog user, not being root is an annoyance. Please tell us the root password so we can switch.

Other than that, it seems very nice and polished.

One thing/bug. When I attempt to run my portable firefox install, I get the following error:
Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.
Are you preloading Palemoon or something?

Anyway, imho, it is a good Dog.

darry19662018

#14 Post by darry19662018 »

I had no trouble recognizing this as a Dog/Sparky based distro as it said it in the subject description and the other Dog projects are in the Puppy Projects area so what is the problem - answer... nothing.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

Flash wrote:I agree. This is definitely not a Puppy Project.
Flash,

Why are you not doing something to give the Dogs and other operating systems, like this one, their own section in this forum?
This blending of topics, in the Puppy Projects section, is getting very confusing to anyone new to this forum and Puppy Linux.

I think I will go and find a Ubuntu OS I like and start making topics about it.
It seems, all I have to do is modify what I am offering and it is OK to post it on this forum.

I guess this is not really, as it says in the forum title, Puppy Linux Discussion Forum.
Seems to be turning into any OS you want to put together discussion forum.

I
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mauros

#16 Post by mauros »

dancytron wrote:I installed it with a manual frugal install, save to folder on exit.

As a puppy/dog user, not being root is an annoyance. Please tell us the root password so we can switch.
Root's configuration is ready to load the desktop properly, you can manually login (with password "toor") or alter /lib/systemd/system/getty@.service contents as described for permanent root login.
You can also install a lightweight login manager like slim or nodm if youre more familiar with those.
dancytron wrote: One thing/bug. When I attempt to run my portable firefox install, I get the following error:
Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.
Are you preloading Palemoon or something?
Checked firefox module activation and safe mode activation, everything working as expected for me. Firefox starts smoothly with no errors in both cases. Could you provide some more information about it?

Edit: There's no conflict with palemoon for sure. Both browsers can be activated, even running at the same time. Check the possibility of double-loading the module, if there is a copy of it both in /live and /live/modules or something.
Last edited by mauros on Thu 05 Dec 2019, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

mauros

#17 Post by mauros »

About the forum: I'm not old enough as a forum user to express an opinion about it. I will respect admins and older users decision anyway.

There's also a thread about Bonsai in Sparky's forum at:
https://forum.sparkylinux.org/index.php ... 143.0.html
People interesting of Sparky Bonsai can register an account there.

I could also run a dedicated SMF session on a server of mine, but i think its too much for Bonsai only. Maybe in cooperation with other Dog projects, if other developers are interesting for something like that.

mikeslr

#18 Post by mikeslr »

Hi mauros,

Don't make too much of complaints about Sparky Bonsai having a place on the Forum. There are always purists who resist change; some of whom stop complaining when they've tried another OS which makes limited demands on a computer and found them useful.

As others have said, it would be preferable if their was a separate Section for "Puppy-like" operating systems. Until such time the Puppy Project Section will remain the appropriate location for discussing those: appropriate in both the senses of "Where within the Forum" to discuss them; and for the Forum if it is to remain the best place for anyone interested in unbloated operating systems to learn about them.

Your revision of the Title of the thread adequately identifies it as not being one of interest to Puppy purists.

darry19662018

#19 Post by darry19662018 »

As far as I am concerned this project is welcome here I look forward to a 32bit version.

Yes this is the Puppy Linux forum but the Puppy concept is more than woof CE. Mauros Glad you are part of this community eh Bigpup.
Last edited by darry19662018 on Fri 06 Dec 2019, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

mauros

#20 Post by mauros »

Generally speaking, never was a purist or fanatic on something. On the other hand, every community has the right to set the limits of its area without bothering others. I strongly support that in any case.
We are not here to impose our rules to an existed community. We are here to share a project we found useful and get profit from the experience of a successful linux distro as Puppy.
Technically is crystal clear what Sparky Bonsai is, so, its up to puppy's forum older members to decide if it's acceptable or not. Any decision will be respectable and acceptable. People interesting of the project will find it here or in another place. Actually nothing changes.