Bionic Pup 64 Problems

Please post any bugs you have found
Colonel Panic

#21 Post by Colonel Panic »

I had some problems with Exton's version of Bionic, but the straight version's been a lot better - found the right driver for my onboard video and set the correct resolution (1680x1050) first time.

Just one problem - the icon theme changer in JWM Desk Manager froze while I was trying to set a new theme and I had to shut the display down and try again.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

rockedge

#22 Post by rockedge »

so quenyan, you're going to use a remaster of Lubuntu?

Auronius

#23 Post by Auronius »

quenyan, I also use LXLE on three PC's, and I think, that LXLE is a very good distro for those older machines, which can not handle the majority of brand new modern Linuxes, Like Mint Cinnamon or Ubuntu with Gnome 3.
Still, I am afraid, that LXLE 18.04.3 is the last LXLE, which will be available. The reason is simple - LXLE is based on Lubuntu with LXDE desktop environment. Now Lubuntu switched from LXDE to LXQt desktop environment, which is not so fast as LXDE with Openbox, in fact not even nearly so fast...also it is raw and unfinished with many bugs. As result, LXDE desktop interface development is almost stopped.
So what do we have as result?
1. LXDE desktop interface development is almost stopped.
2. Lubuntu switched to raw and unfinished LXQt.
3. LXLE developer does not want to make LXLE based on LXQt, and I fully support his decision, because with LXQt, LXLE Linux will consume much more computer resources and will loose it's strongest advantage over other Linuxes. Also, it will have bugs...many bugs.
4. LXLE developer simply does not know, how to make new LXLE release, because he can not continue to make it based on newest Lubuntu with LXQt.
So...I hope, that there will be a new LXLE release, and we all should hope at the best. But we also should be prepared for the worst!
That's why I started to test Bionicpup. Bionicpup is also very good distro for older machines. Yes, it is unusual and a bit more difficult than LXLE, but still very good. I do not say "great", because it has some bugs, and screen fonts in some applications are does not have proper subpixel rendering (only grayscale, not RGB). Also, for some reasons, installed packages using Puppy Package Manager can not be updated.

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

3. LXLE developer does not want to make LXLE based on LXQt, and I fully support his decision, because with LXQt, LXLE Linux will consume much more computer resources and will loose it's strongest advantage over other Linuxes. Also, it will have bugs...many bugs.
.....and folks wonder why I hate Qt5. It's a RAM-hog, offering precious little in the way of benefits over the much more svelte Qt4.....but guess what, kiddiwinks? Qt5 is what ALL the devs are dribbling over, and wetting their pants with excitement about, so, erm.....trust me, we're well and truly STUCK with it.

And they call this "progress"? Huh. Reminds me of one of our Forum members who said, quite some time ago, that as software (and hardware) develops over time, it just encourages the rise of 'lazy coding'. As RAM levels increase, most devs appear to take the view 'Well, I don't need to bother being careful any more. There's all this RAM available nowadays; Hey! let's use it....'

And so apps/programs just grow bigger & bigger.....

Mike. :roll:

quenyan

#25 Post by quenyan »

Hi there puppy folks, it's been awhile since my last visit.

@rockedge i'm not buddy, right now I am using Windows 8.1 because of everything. You know, when you actually live in the world Windows is part of life, admit it or not. Windows has been with us since many years ago with microsoft word when we were in school, play the sims, warcraft, etc when we were little. until this day, windows still playing a big role in our life, cannot be replaced by Linux or OSX. the EXE is used in many aspect. school, government, company, entertainment, etc. and WINE still has a LOOOOng way to catch. well, using linux was fun, troubleshooting this and that, making linux better and better, but when we face a situation where we are forced to use an EXE software where wine can't handle, that's where the wall is. there are 2 main reasons why I switch windows this time, first the government taxation software is exe. second, is many software i need do make something work, for example PS3 software that i need to play a game, to root samsung (which heimdall can't do because of the samsung driver only released on windows), and many similar things like that which wine just cant do. why do i use windows 8.1? the answer is on comment below.

@Mike Walsh the development of OS is kinda crappy these days, Idk because of generation changing in the company or what, but things messed up. For example OSX made a shitty decision on Catalina (which is fully not supporting 32bits thinggy, that makes wine is a total disabled on OSX and other 32bits app too), they haven't solved anything on Mojave and now they just remove their problem just like that. Their bootcamp department felt like shutdown, in Mojave and so on, bootcamp can only install windows 10, which doesnt make sense, why? because bootcamp doesn't have any driver working with the current build of windows 10 (1909), so yeah, the only thing to do if we want bootcamp windows is to install High Sierra, 2 generation away.
Another things with Windows 10 also, I don't see any differences on Win10 with Win8, the only thing is win10 is free with some watermark which overlay on top also some limitation on settings (which user with low end pc cannot make any changes and stuck with low performance), they also has many common wifi problem and brightness button problem (wtf is goin on? why does windows has linux problem now? lol)
and Linux, well, it's open source, no complaint about it tho, no one hurts no feeling. what we get is what the dev excited about, wether it's better or not.
Many of these days claiming that they done "update" but in fact deep down in our heart, we can see with naked eye, those are just bullcrap.

theres one project which i forgot the name was, it's fairy young, an os which build on scratch where we can run EXE natively. ah, i really forgot the name of the OS is...crossover? no...hmmm...an uncommon name.

bigpup

#26 Post by bigpup »

crossover is just another version of Wine.
Only it is one you have to pay for.
https://www.codeweavers.com/products/
Codeweaver took Wine and developed a payed version that is suppose to work better, because they have better built in software. Plus they have people working on it for money.
The stuff they add to Wine, is their software, and they have total control of it. Thus you have to pay for it.

True Wine is a lot better now in the newest versions.
But, Wine is not developed by people making a living developing Wine.
It is slower adapting to changes in Windows software.

Now that Microsoft is putting Linux commands support into Windows 10. It is going to have a Linux kernel.
Who really knows what Windows and Linux are going to look like in the future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_S ... _for_Linux
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

quenyan

#27 Post by quenyan »

bigpup wrote:crossover is just another version of Wine.
Only it is one you have to pay for.
https://www.codeweavers.com/products/
Codeweaver took Wine and developed a payed version that is suppose to work better, because they have better built in software. Plus they have people working on it for money.
The stuff they add to Wine, is their software, and they have total control of it. Thus you have to pay for it.

True Wine is a lot better now in the newest versions.
But, Wine is not developed by people making a living developing Wine.
It is slower adapting to changes in Windows software.

Now that Microsoft is putting Linux commands support into Windows 10. It is going to have a Linux kernel.
Who really knows what Windows and Linux are going to look like in the future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_S ... _for_Linux
I wasn't talking about the wine alternative, I just couldn't remember the name of the new OS, i thought it was something like "crossover" or whatnot. but now I found it, it was ReactOS the new OS which rumored to be able to run exe just like windows OS. it's open source, still very young so I wasn't expecting something WOW of it. but you all can try it if you think windows really is taking big role in our life. I tried it once, but just couldn't pass the installation, some people say it is easier to install if we got Windows XP installed on our system, well maybe it has a different architecture, but I just pass it for now, and ill see on that OS when it got more mature.