Vivaldi-portable - for 'modern' Puppies

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

Vivaldi-portable - for 'modern' Puppies

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning all.

Update - 29/05/20 : Follow the LINK to current packages

As you all know, I've recently packaged a number of other browsers as portables, including Opera. In some ways, this showed every sign of becoming the replacement for my long-term favourite, Chrome. However; NetFlix is a prerequisite for me, so any browser that can't provide it without issues quickly gets kicked into touch.

As is the case with Opera, unfortunately. Those of you running the portable Opera I built will have noticed by this point that the Menu icon in the top-left corner has now got a red background; Opera want you to update..!

There have been three updates of Opera since I built that package. I haven't released any more, because with each one, Widevine has been irrecoverably 'broken'....and I won't release a package that isn't 'fully functional'. The guys on the Opera Forums are tearing their hair out over this, and have tried every 'workaround' & 'fix' you can think of (and then some). This is, however, going to be the case from now on, as Opera's controlling 'share' (this is a private company, remember; it's all closed-source code in here) has been bought out by a Chinese 'consortium', Qihoo 360.....one of China's top mobile & internet 'security' firms, who, it appears, have a reputation for dirty tricks & foul play.

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-emai ... inese.html

These guys have also made it crystal clear that they have every intention of only supporting Windoze development for the browser from now on, since that's where the money lies. Everybody else can go whistle. The fact that a big part of the Opera development team quit over this back in November is rather telling.....

-----------------------------------------------------

And this is why I've been looking at Vivaldi. It's developed by a bunch of original Opera staff, and has quickly gained a reputation as one of the most (if not the most) highly-configurable Chromium-based browsers there is. I looked at it a couple of years ago, but wasn't that keen on it. Having looked at it again, it's made big improvements in many areas.....especially that of 'themes', which in the earlier versions I found to be very 'garish' and 'in-yer-face'.

Widevine has proven very easy to implement in the 64-bit version, since the WidevineCDM folder is a direct sym-link to the one in Google Chrome; thus, a simple matter to swap the sym-link for the actual item. Seems to function fine.

32-bit Widevine, well; it's the same old problem I've had in every other Chromium-based browser recently. No matter how you try to implement it, it simply doesn't 'see' it. Makes me wonder if it's related to Big Brother being determined to push everybody to 64-bit only. Could be, could be.....they do basically 'underwrite' Chromium development, after all. It's their browser R & D department, at the end of the day.

---------------------------------------------------------

So; since the 32-bit version won't function 100%, I'm following my personal rule, and am only going to publish the 64-bit version. For anybody who's interested, you can find it here:-

Vivaldi 64-bit 'portable' - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LWSmYf ... sp=sharing

MD5 - facb36e529de6f9778c5060ae8c2de49

Sha256 - ac1484fcc993e9284832516cf0c45358ff5c4d67ac6834c10b61187f874a3fff

As always, unzip, put it anywhere you want. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. Simples!

[I've built & uploaded a 32-bit version, but I won't publish it unless there's a demand, since to my mind, it's not fully functional.]

Have fun.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 15 Jun 2020, 22:49, edited 7 times in total.

davids45

32-bit Vivaldi

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mike W.,
[I've built & uploaded a 32-bit version, but I won't publish it unless there's a demand, since to my mind, it's not fully functional.]
I use Vivaldi as my default browser in many 32-bit Pups (Viv. version 19... or 28...) depending on which Pup it is - Ubuntu-based or Slacko-based need different lib-file set-ups.

I'll test your 64-bit Vivaldi (using your Opera as my 64-bit default) but I would like to try your <100%-perfect 32-bit Vivaldi Portable. I'd like to see if it will run in the different Pups with less set-up hassles than presently.

Profile clashes with other Chrome-based browsers is an occasional problem - start-up box reporting the profile is in use by another browser but does not prevent Vivaldi starting if the continue button is clicked.

I don't do much utubing (leave that for the grandkids who have a Bionic32 on the old desktops that they use here) so if that's its only issue, I'm OK with that.

David S.

dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

That's too bad about Opera. It is faster for me than Chrome or Firefox.

I'll download this and give it a try.

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Got it set up and posting from it now in DD Stretch.

All seems to work as expected.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Dan:-

Hopefully, this'll prove to be a decent replacement for Opera. It's a shame. but I've tried till I'm blue in the face to get Widevine functional with this set-up; even pointing the browser straight at it, so it's in front of its face, it still insists "I can't see it".

It appears to have been coded in such a way that it has no option but to use the Chrome WidevineCdm folder, installed to the standard location in /opt - a location we haven't used here in Puppy since around v62/3, when Big Brother began to insist on 'running as a 'normal' user'. I've even tried setting up just that particular bit of the browser in /opt, but it still doesn't want to know.

I'm through messing with the damn thing. There's plenty of other fully functional browsers I can use instead; it's a shame, because I really like current Opera, but.....if it's not to be, it's not to be. Every other 'portable' has responded well, but Opera?

I give up. I've had it with it. But this is why I always like to offer plenty of choice, after all.....and since portable-Chrome is now behaving itself, well.....

dancytron

#6 Post by dancytron »

Bad news. Tried to update in chrome:components and it is already the same version as my latest chrome. :(

EDIT: A reboot seems to have fixed it.
Netflix Error M7702-1003
If you experience the error code M7702-1003 on your computer, it typically points to a component on your browser that needs to be updated or that is being blocked by a security setting or program. Follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue.

Ensure your browser allows protected content
Update Google Chrome
Update Chrome's content protection feature
In the address bar on the Chrome browser, type chrome://components and press Enter or Return on your keyboard.

Locate the Widevine Content Decryption Module component.

If the Widevine Content Decryption Module is not listed under chrome://components, check to make sure you are using on official version of Google Chrome.

Select Check for update.

If you see Status - Component updated, restart Chrome and try Netflix again.

If you see Status - Component not updated, continue troubleshooting below.

XiaoSpence

#7 Post by XiaoSpence »

What version is this web browser? I cannot determine it because the browser will not launch on my 32-bit slacko

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

XiaoSpence wrote:What version is this web browser? I cannot determine it because the browser will not launch on my 32-bit slacko
@ XiaoSpence:-

Well, that's hardly surprising. If you'd read the first post all the way through, you would have seen that this is the 64-bit version. And 64-bit applications won't run on a 32-bit operating system, I'm afraid....

(I've edited the title to detail which version this is; it's the current 2.11 release.)

I have built a 32-bit version, but I haven't published it.....because to my mind, it's not 'fully-functional', i.e., Widevine doesn't work. This is common to all recent 32-bit Chromium-based browsers; not my fault, I'm afraid. If you'd like to try it out, drop me a PM, and I'll let you have the link for it.

(Publishing it then invites bitching, moaning & complaining that this, that or the other 'doesn't work'. Bear in mind this one is 'experimental', please....OK?)

EDIT:- I've also got a 32-bit portable version of Iron v78, if you want to give it a look. But Widevine/DRM is still 'non-funczione', I'm afraid. Again, drop me a PM for the link.

davids45

Portable LibreOffice?

#9 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mike W.,

Is there a Portable version of a recent LibreOffice?

In going through my 64-bit Pups set-up to switch from sfs browsers to portable browsers, LibreOffice is another big package application that looks appropriate to be 'portable-d'?

And maybe Gimp?

David S.

mikeslr

#10 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Dave,

You've asked about portable versions of Gimp and LibreOffice. Would AppImages do? There are 64-bit versions of both. https://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/ and https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Dave,

You've asked about portable versions of Gimp and LibreOffice. Would AppImages do? There are 64-bit versions of both. https://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/ and https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases
@ David:-

I'll confirm Mike's recommendations. I forget where I got it from, but I use a G.I.M.P 2.10 rc2 AppImage all the time, in both Xenial64 and Bionic64. It works very well indeed.

I also tried a LibreOffice AppImage a while ago. I forget which version - definitely a late 5-series/early 6-series, though doubtless replaced with a newer release by now - but, again, totally without issues.

These have both been done 'properly', i.e., absolutely everything needed to run has been included. Some AppImages you come across are simply re-packed .debs/.rpms, because on attempting to run them from the terminal they're still clamouring for a whole bunch of system dependencies.....and that is NOT what an AppImage is supposed to be about.

@ Mike:-

Thanks for the links; I'll have to bookmark those. I can now update my own versions, since as time goes by I'm increasingly making more & more use of this very versatile package format.....and these two in particular are 'staples' for me.

Cheers.

davids45

LibreOffice & Gimp as AppImage/Portable

#12 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mikes,

Thanks for the help.

I did not easily find what the difference between a 'Fresh' and 'Still' Download is for LibreOffice so am trying the 'Fresh' :shock: .

Conventionally, I'm running LibreOffice-6.4 in the 64-bit Pups (linked-sfs) which is fine in using my profile from earlier LibreOffices (even in 32-bit if I remember correctly - text-files seem not worried by numbers of bits).

I already have a Gimp AppImage which works but is said to be a 'developer version' so I shall keep an 'eye out' for a 'clueless user' version. Again, I have Gimp-2.10 as a link-sfs.

Soon I'll start playing with the 64ScPups which seem often to need something extra for some applications.

David S.

Null_ID

#13 Post by Null_ID »

Greetings, Mike. I would like to have those 32-bit builds of Vivaldi and Iron, please, to test their performance on an aging T60 Thinkpad. Widevine working or not is of no consequence to me, so I will not be bringing that issue up. My PM box is ready for your links.

backi

#14 Post by backi »

Hi Mike !
Using Bionic64 and Xenial64 Dogs.
Tested Vivaldi for a while .....very very cool .......and really fast.....could become my Favorite ....
Thanks a lot Mate !

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

Glad you like it, backi.

Keep us posted as to impressions, what you think, how you get on with it, etc. Feedback's always appreciated.

dancytron

#16 Post by dancytron »

Does the internal pdf reader work for you?

I get "couldn't load plugin".

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ dancytron:-

Mm. Umm.....not an issue I've come across, since I don't use the internal PDF reader. I use an extension from the Chrome Web Store, called "Xodo PDF Viewer & Editor":-

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... kdidkjfghe

.....although at around 40 MB, that's more than many folks want to 'install'. Since with this new machine, I've got several TB of space to play with, am only running 64-bit Pups, and have just added another 4 GB of RAM (bringing me up to 8 GB), an extra 40 MB is not something I'm especially concerned about any longer. But that's not the case for everyone...

There is another one you might like to take a look at:-

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... befnmdedfp

It's a '3D', "flip-book" PDF viewer - looks exactly like a book, turning one page after another, right there in the browser. It's rather fun, and is only a couple of MB in size. I use this one purely for reading PDFs; if I want to edit anything, I use Xodo instead. And since these 'portables' run in all my present Pups, once this stuff is installed, they're available to all.

Xodo is also available as a web-app:-

https://www.xodo.com/app/#/

Just a few options.

(EDIT:- For the internal PDF viewer, click on the gear icon, bottom of the left side panel. This opens 'Settings'; now select 'Webpages'. Scroll down to the 'Plugins' section; make sure the 'Enable Internal PDF Viewer' checkbox is ticked. May help, may not.)

jrb

Re: Vivaldi 2.11 'portable' (64-bit only)

#18 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:So; since the 32-bit version won't function 100%, I'm following my personal rule, and am only going to publish the 64-bit version
Mike, I've been working on my Portabrowse.pet (I have a project I want it use it in) and I have come across install-vivaldi.sh published by the Vivaldi people. It downloads and installs the latest Vivaldi-snapshot, either 32bit or 64bit depending on your system and sets up Widevine. I have modified it to download Vivaldi-stable and set it up as a portable. Since I don't have a netflix account or the bandwidth to run netflix I was wondering if you could install the 32bit version and see if it will work with netflix.

Thanks, J

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ jrb:-

Well, I gave it a go in radky's DPup 'Stretch'. Couldn't get it installed, since according to the terminal the "downloaded data is corrupt".

This was attempted 3 times, with the same result every time. So, can't try out anything, never mind NetFlix. Sorry 'bout that.

The issue in the 32-bit 'portable' (and the guys on the Vivaldi forum appear to be having exactly the same issue as the guys on the Opera forums) is that the WideVine DRM module always shows up in the chrome://components list as version 0.0.0.0.....and nothing you do will make it show as the correct version, much less installed and/or updated.

I honestly believe this is a veiled attempt by Big Brother to push 32-bit users to move to 64-bit, which has been their much-publicised, 'hard-line' intent for at least the last 4 years.

My 'workaround' with earlier 32-bit Chromium 'clones' was to utilise the WideVine module from Firefox, but this stopped working as of v70 (Iron 69 was the last 'clone' version where I was able to make this work). Since then, I've just been on a hiding to nothing. AlienBob, of Slackware fame, used to produce compiled WideVine modules that would work in Chromium, but he stopped updating these around 2 ½ years ago.....and NetFlix, along with various other sites like Spotify, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc, are just as fussy about having a current version of WideVine as YouTube is about having up-to-date versions of ffmpeg for the various codecs support, like h264, h265, etc.....without which the site point-blank refuses to function.

It's the classic 'Catch-22' situation. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Since NetFlix is something of a prerequisite for me, this is why with this new hardware I've gone with all-64 bit Pups.....there's no shortage of 64-bit browsers that happily play NetFlix. It's a 'no-brainer', as far as I'm concerned.

Ruario's script works well for 64-bit installs.....but it just don't 'cut the mustard' where 32-bit's concerned.

watchdog

#20 Post by watchdog »

I have installed the deb package of vivaldi-stable current in ScPup. Installed gtk+3 and at-spi2-atk. I changed /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi to run vivaldi with --no-sandbox (the last line). I copied in /root/.config/vivaldi my profile of vivaldi from 64 bit vivaldi. I have run /opt/vivaldi/update-ffmpeg and /opt/vivaldi/update-widevine. Vivaldi 32 bit now starts and widevine seems to be updated.
Attachments
pic.png
(74.45 KiB) Downloaded 422 times