Need Updated Browser for Youtube

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Marley

Need Updated Browser for Youtube

#1 Post by Marley »

Hi, I'm running Puppy Precise and Have been using Palemoon as my browser for a while. I'm at version 28.7.2 (32 bit) - Lately Youtube has been warning me that support for my browser is going to be cut soon.

I think it means the version number because recently, too, Palemoon has been giving me pop ups telling me to upgrade when I first get on. Sometimes I say ok and it downloads the upgrade no problem. Can't remember what version I end up with then.

Since I use puppy as a live usb install each time I get on my computer and don't use a save file this update disappears. I suppose I can make a save file just for the update but I was wondering too, are there any recent pets for palemoon or other browsers that are going to be supported by youtube in the future.

I liked palemoon because I think it was supposed to be less intrusive in terms of collecting data - I am willing to try other browsers and make the necessary settings to I'm not getting my life sucked away by cookies or whatever . . .

Any suggestions?- basically the most important thing is that if I run youtube on it I won't get that 'you're time is coming to an end!' warning constantly. Already half of the settings in my account don't work so (sigh) it's just a matter of time like the youtube people said . . . . :cry:

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you. :?

s243a

#2 Post by s243a »

Unfortunately, one often has to try a few browsers to find the best one. At any given done one browser might perform the best on a particular system but change the day the system or how you use the browser and the results change.

You should provide some details about your system and how you are using your browser. I'm guessing you are running off a USB in pupmode=13 (typically pmedia=usbflash). If you are using USB 2.0 ports or a USB 2.0 device then you will be IO limited and the more that you can run in ram the better.

This means that when you pick the browser that you want you might want to try remastering your version of puppylinux.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

The easy answer is just make a save on the USB so the Palemoon update has a place to be stored and used.

Why are you not wanting to have a save file or folder?

I got that YouTube warning a few weeks back.
The latest Palemoon v28.8.4 update fixed it.

Any pet package of a browser you try to install, is still going to have to install into a save file or folder, to get properly installed into Precise.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Marley

#4 Post by Marley »

Thanks, both of you, for your advice.

s243a - you make some very tantalizing points - remastering the puppy -it is my goal/dream to have time to know linux well enough and puppy too to do something like that - or create my own pup. I was hoping I could find a 'quick fix' regarding browsers but you're right I have to just keep trying some out - and your request for more info got me thinking I have to write that info down somewhere so I can start knowing it! Thanks!

bigpup - I think a save would be easiest. I had this fear of saves because way back I made some after installing puppy on a hard drive not really knowing what I was doing and the system kept asking me which save file I wanted to use. I didn't mind that but wanted to delete the crummy saves that didn't work and didn't know where to find the files. Someone here said I could just delete the saves which I figured out lately how to do - nice! So you know, I'll give that a go - I'll make a save file - if I get a menu selection thingy popping up I'll post a message to ask why - maybe I made a choice I don't remember back then.

I am, sometimes unfortunately, a sort of hands on don't document and don't do things enough to remember what I did right or wrong kind of learner - trying to take more notes now!

Thanks for the advice! :D

mikeslr

Portables without a SaveFile/Folder

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Marley,

Portable Web-browsers can be used even if you don't have a SaveFile/Folder. You can file-browse into their folders and left-click the script/wrapper which, among other things, eventually executes the web-browser's binary, Those other things includes instructing the application to look within its own folder for extra-libs. The wrapper-script may also start apulse so that it, rather than pulse-audio, is used.

By not using a SaveFile/Folder with precise you've created an additional stumbling block. While the 'extra-libs' folder contains those libs recent Puppies don't include OOTB, precise, now about 7 years old, lacks even more libs which modern web-browsers insist on. With a SaveFile/Folder those libs could be installed into your operating system (or loaded as an SFS). Without that, you might be able to include them in your portable-web-browser's 'extra-libs' folder.

But figuring out what you’d have to include in the extra-libs folder (even assuming that would work) is more difficult than remastering, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 89#1001289 or http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 345#780345 and far more difficult than up-grading your Pup to, for example, Precise-lite. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58#1024458

Even if you want to run you’re Puppy without a SaveFile/Folder, creating one as an interim step will make it easier to reach your ultimate goal. See, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 470#944470

What are you're computer's specs --RAM, Graphics &tc? Why not a more up-to-date Puppy?

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Google TV (sorry you tube)and others do this but you may find your beloved browser works well beyond the sell by date.

Its just a push to get you to buy hardware and allow more advertising and data harvesting which I assume you won't be a fan of.

Not sure of the version correlation but Firefox Light 33 seems ok here and palemoon 26 (limited by hardware when it comes to updates for me.)

You will also find much older versions of Chrome are welcome by such sites generally which is no surprise.

Also there are some handy you tube download sites and tools out there which avoid the need to chase the browser update wind.

mike