Quirky7-light 32&64 bit - April 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

#141 Post by jrb »

watchdog wrote:Successfully tested in live sessions both cups packages in april32 and april64 with my Brother HL2130 laser printer installed by the ppd downloaded from openprinting site.
Thanks for your help watchdog, it has been invaluable. I will post these on Page 1.

Cheers, J

jrb

#142 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:Morning, all.

Okay; as promised, here's an SFS package of Cinelerra GG 'Infinity' 5.1 assembled just for Quirky 64. Any one who's interested, you can find it here at my Google Drive:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O_uLdl ... sp=sharing

The Cinelerra community have really got their act together with this, and I know there's a few professionals at the BBC who prefer this thing over anything else - not quite sure what that says about it, but, there you go! Have fun with it. For anyone who needs some pointers as to how it all works, there's a very comprehensive online instruction manual (all 632 pages of it!), which can be found here:-

https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/Cinel ... Manual.pdf

You can read it as an online PDF, or download it for posterity, and more 'in-depth' reading.

Mike. :wink:
Thanks Mike, I'll have a look. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to do something with all the videos my wife keeps taking. :wink:

jrb

#143 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ jrb/all:-

Now. A few packages/items that work in Quirky64-light....

----------------------------

Guvcview - I've adapted Revolverve's Guvcview 2.0.3 .pet that he built for Tahr64. A few additional items were needed, which I've either 'borrowed' from the Tahr64-606 .iso, or tracked down via pkgs.org. Tested via pfix=ram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1suWGQc ... sp=sharing

-----------------------------

gKrellM - This is my compile of the newest 2.3.11, originally done in Xenial64 last year. Works OOTB in Quirky, tested via pfix=ram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MMCNtX ... sp=sharing

-----------------------------

Screen-capture & -recorder apps

XVidCap-1.1.7 - Been around since time out of mind, delightfully 'quirky', and still works as well as it ever did. This is my re-pack of the build step originally put together for FatDog64. Tested via pfix=ram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b29FWy ... sp=sharing

WeX - Will McEwan's excellent ffmpeg-based, minimalist (yet fully-functional) screen-recorder app. This is the 'portable' version Fred put together, including a relatively new ffmpeg build from John van Sickle. Tested via pfix=ram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aJUyIO ... sp=sharing

.....and Micko's beautifully simple Screeny for screen captures. A 'no-arch' .pet, in theory it'll work anywhere, though in practice I've enjoyed 'mixed' results over the years. Works well in Quirky, though.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76204

-------------------------------

And the biggest surprise of all? Skype. Tested in a pristine Quirky, it works OOTB.... :shock:

https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/skypeforlinux/

Enjoy, mes amigos.

Wow, I just finished thanking you for Cinelerra and now I owe you 6 more. After I walk my dog I'll start testing. :D

Thanks again, J

Mike Walsh

#144 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, jrb.

Actually, what I said about sourcing the deps for Guvcview isn't entirely true. While I do use pkgs.org - and 'borrow' from other Pups; I think we've all done that at some point! - for 'buntu-based Pups/derivatives I like to use Canonical's 'old-releases' /ubuntu/pool repos.

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/

The stuff in here dates all the way back to the very dawn of Ubuntu; Canonical don't appear to ever clear this out, despite being almost fanatical about regularly re-compiling their kernels and 'pruning-out' whatever they consider to be past its 'sell-by' date..!

Given that all mainstream distros tend to use the 'current' versions of items at whatever point in time specific versions were released, by careful searching (and making liberal use of the date stamps), it's perfectly possible to find whatever deps you're searching for all compiled around the same time-frame. Which usually means compiled against the same version of the glibc.....and that has the added bonus of cutting-down hugely on possible 'mis-matches'.

Once you get the hang of Canonical's naming conventions, it's also possible to search for specific versions of any given item, too.

Having downloaded the .debs, I then unzip 'em and use the contents directly, as-is. .Rpms will work just as well.....it's the contents you're after at the end of the day; the packaging mechanism is totally irrelevant.

This is all guff you just pick up on, as time goes by..! :D

--------------------------------

My Opera & Vivaldi portables still crash on upload/download, even in a pristine Quirky. Which indicates to me it's more likely something in the profile that doesn't gel with Quirky.....they function fine under other Puppies.

I'll just use Palemoon for file transfers; it's not at all unusual for me to have 2, or even 3 different browsers open at the same time, when I'm 'experimenting'...!

Mike Walsh

#145 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

Here's Simplescreenrecorder-0.3.8, adapted for Quirky64 from the original Tahrpup64 package.

I know this is the preferred screen recorder for many of you, so.....I built it. Tested via pfix=ram.

Enjoy.

Mike Walsh

#146 Post by Mike Walsh »

.....and another one.

The Tahr64 'Hotshots' package works OOTB:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... x86_64.pet

.....as long as you install the Qt4 package jrb linked to back on the previous page:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 10#1056110

(I downloaded both it and the 4.8.2 package watchdog linked me to; you can never have too much 'materiel' to work with, although I'm using the one jrb linked me to, because I've had very good results with Qt 4.8.6 in several other Pups over the years. "If it works.....", etc. :D )

Mike Walsh

#147 Post by Mike Walsh »

....and yet another. (Sorry, jrb; I just keep thinking of stuff...! :lol: )

Norgo's last Qt4-based 'static' compile of SMPlayer, 18.10.0-s-x86_64, runs nicely under Quirky64. You do need mPlayer installed for this to work, of course; the one in the PPM seems to do the job fine.

I can't link y'all directly to it, since norgo, like many of us, regularly prunes older stuff out of his repo. So, I've uploaded my own copy to the Drive:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Dtj6V ... sp=sharing

I've developed into quite an SMPlayer 'afficionado' over the last few years. I know there's a number of you that seem to like it, too. Anyways....

.....enjoy.

jrb

#148 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:....and yet another. (Sorry, jrb; I just keep thinking of stuff...! :lol: )
No worries mate. It's nice to have someone around who, unlike me, does more than just do a bit of browsing and fiddle with a bit of code. Have been busy in the garden of late but I just threw together something which may be appreciated. See the next post.

Keep up the good work, J

jrb

April64-Zoom

#149 Post by jrb »

I know lots of people are ZOOMing about nowadays, including my wife. I've set her up to run it in Xenial64 and I see it runs nicely in Bionicpup64 but neither of these are exactly lightweights. So I thought I'd have a go at getting it to run in April64, and it works. :shock: I used 666philb's zoom-x86_64.pet (Good job Phil)! Had to add a few small deps and a symlink but I thought I'd spare you the effort and have uploaded:

2nd attempt
april64-zoomB-7.0.1-uefi.iso md5sum ab2b63e8779ec1fca5f85b806456e735

Delta correction:
april64-zoom-7.0.1-uefi.iso___april64-zoomB-7.0.1-uefi.iso.delta md5sum 1bdde57dfc1b3b7c8129ebbec8a91f26

You can also just type:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/X11R7/lib/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib
in a terminal and that will fix it too.

Not being a very communicative guy i haven't tested it, I only know it starts up and looks just like it did in Xenial64. My wife has a meeting on Monday evening so it will get tested then but in the meantime I'll leave it up to brave souls from the Puppy forum.

Fingers crossed, J

Oh Yeah: Zoom is on the Network menu.

Edit: symlink error in 1st attempt, Sorry
Last edited by jrb on Mon 04 May 2020, 23:35, edited 5 times in total.

sheldonisaac

Re: April64-Zoom

#150 Post by sheldonisaac »

jrb (in part) wrote:..I've set her up to run it in Xenial64 and I see it runs nicely in Bionicpup64 but neither of these are exactly lightweights. So I thought I'd have a go at getting it to run in April64, and it works. :shock: I used 666philb's zoom-x86_64.pet (Good job Phil)! Had to add a few small deps and a symlink but I thought I'd spare you the effort and have uploaded: april64-zoom-7.0.1-uefi.iso
This is very good of you, jrb! I was absolutely a newcomer to Zoom until a few weeks ago, when my bicycle club had a meeting using it. Quite a struggle for me; I think it was under Bionicpup64.
.. I'll leave it up to brave souls from the Puppy forum.
Many thanks. I hope to try it tomorrow.

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

jrb

#151 Post by jrb »

sheldonisaac wrote:my bicycle club had a meeting using it.
Hi Sheldon, Just curious, what kind of riding do you do? Have done a fair bit myself although fading a bit in my senior years but I still get some nice rides in.

Mike Walsh

#152 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ jrb:-

Tried your Quirky with the built-in Zoom. Unfortunately, it's a no-go for me.

If I fire it up exactly as you released it, Zoom starts up as it should. But with the k3.14.54 kernel, I have no audio.....which makes Zoom kinda pointless.

If I then do the kernel swap with Xenial64's k4.9.58, I have working audio.....but Zoom won't start, insisting it can't find items which are clearly where they should be, and segfaults like crazy!

That's one of those Linux drawbacks with using an older distro on very new hardware. And I no longer have a working, 'older' 64-bit machine.....

Ah, well; not to worry. I have Zoom working in two other Pups, so I'm not exactly 'Zoomless'. It would just have been nice to get it working in Quirky alongside everything else.

Sod's law, mate! :shock: :roll:

sheldonisaac

#153 Post by sheldonisaac »

jrb wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:my bicycle club had a meeting using it.
Hi Sheldon, Just curious, what kind of riding do you do? Have done a fair bit myself although fading a bit in my senior years but I still get some nice rides in.
Good for you, jrb; wish I could say the same.
I'm now 85 years old, with diabetes diagnosed in 2018. Maybe that's related to some other physical problems. Anyhow, my riding is almost non-existent these days. I used to do some of the slower club rides, as well as utility riding.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

jrb

#154 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ jrb:-

Tried your Quirky with the built-in Zoom. Unfortunately, it's a no-go for me.

If I fire it up exactly as you released it, Zoom starts up as it should. But with the k3.14.54 kernel, I have no audio.....which makes Zoom kinda pointless.

If I then do the kernel swap with Xenial64's k4.9.58, I have working audio.....but Zoom won't start, insisting it can't find items which are clearly where they should be, and segfaults like crazy!

That's one of those Linux drawbacks with using an older distro on very new hardware. And I no longer have a working, 'older' 64-bit machine.....

Ah, well; not to worry. I have Zoom working in two other Pups, so I'm not exactly 'Zoomless'. It would just have been nice to get it working in Quirky alongside everything else.

Sod's law, mate! :shock: :roll:

Sod's law indeed! I just tried: only 3.18 worked. This is an older version of Zoom, which is probably why it works without pulseaudio, and I'm guessing it doesn't like 4.XX kernels. :(

You might give 3.18 a try. Thanks for testing in any case.

Cheers, J

Doh: I just realized it works with Xenial64 and Bionic64 so scratch the comment about not liking 4.XX kernels. More investigation required. :?
Last edited by jrb on Sun 03 May 2020, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

#155 Post by jrb »

sheldonisaac wrote:I'm now 85 years old, with diabetes diagnosed in 2018. Maybe that's related to some other physical problems. Anyhow, my riding is almost non-existent these days. I used to do some of the slower club rides, as well as utility riding.
85 with what are obviously fully functioning mental faculties (don't argue with me old-timer. :wink: ) is something to be proud of. I'm sure a lot of the credit goes to a physically active life. At 71 I'm still quite active but most mornings it takes a while to loosen up.

jrb

#156 Post by jrb »

Symlink error correction in 1st posting of april64zoom-7.0.1. See Here.

gabtech

Usb Tethering

#157 Post by gabtech »

I want to connect my phone using usb0. Any script for usb tethering in quirky?

jrb

Re: Usb Tethering

#158 Post by jrb »

gabtech wrote:I want to connect my phone using usb0. Any script for usb tethering in quirky?
Did you get april64zoom working :?:

Here's a link to some Puppy threads on the usb tethering question: drunkjedi's " Autoconnect Android USB Tethering with udev rule" looks promising. tempestuous' "iPhone USB internet tethering" is a bit old but might still work.

The truth is I remain one of the invisible untrackables. No mobile phone. :twisted:

Cheers, J

greengeek

#159 Post by greengeek »

jrb wrote:The truth is I remain one of the invisible untrackables. No mobile phone. :twisted:
Attachments
alarm.gif
(33.29 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

jrb

#160 Post by jrb »

greengeek wrote:
jrb wrote:The truth is I remain one of the invisible untrackables. No mobile phone. :twisted:
It's only a matter of time before they strap one on my leg and monitor me. :shock:
Attachments
ankle-phone1.jpg
(125.05 KiB) Downloaded 368 times