How to lose the "no sandbox" warning on Brave portable?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Gnimmelf

How to lose the "no sandbox" warning on Brave portable?

#1 Post by Gnimmelf »

I managed to get the brave portable posted by Mike Walsh Sat 04 Jan 2020, 10:35 to run on bionicpup64

how do i get rid of the "--no-sandbox" warning? or how do i get it to run with sandbox? (do i need this?) please eksplain in detail! Im a newbie Smile

kindly Gnimm

Gnimmelf

"no sandbox" on Brave portable

#2 Post by Gnimmelf »

Nobody have a take on this?

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

Hello!

I also have Brave running on Bionic64 on a machine in the garage..I'll go look and see what I did to solve this!

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Gnimmelf,

Didn't the routine I posted here work? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 75#1046975. Ah, I see you posted for detailed instructions but no one responded.

Here's how: When you unpack Brave (I think) you'll have a folder named "Brave-Portable". At any rate within the "initial?" unpacked folder will be two scripts --launch and update pepperflash-- and another folder with the name "brave". Within that "brave" folder is the bash-script named "brave-pup". It is actually the wrapper which initializes Brave. Open it in geany/text-editor and you'll see that its last line reads:

run-as-spot "$HERE/brave" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --ppapi-flash-path=$HERE/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --disable-infobars --no-sandbox "$@" || true

After Brave is started the first time (and per Mike Walsh) creates your initial profile, you can open "brave-pup" again in your text-editor, edit the last line to delete --no-sandbox ; save the changes.

At least that's how I remember doing it.

Do you need a sandbox? Only if you don't have toddlers and do have a cat. Well, your posts suggest that you do need a sandbox. So I guess you're concerned that if and when Brave crashes it doesn't bring down your entire operating system, which --IIRC-- is what Chrome programmers were told sandboxes are for.

Gnimmelf

"no sandbox" on Brave portable

#5 Post by Gnimmelf »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Gnimmelf,

Didn't the routine I posted here work? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 75#1046975. Ah, I see you posted for detailed instructions but no one responded.

Here's how: When you unpack Brave (I think) you'll have a folder named "Brave-Portable". At any rate within the "initial?" unpacked folder will be two scripts --launch and update pepperflash-- and another folder with the name "brave". Within that "brave" folder is the bash-script named "brave-pup". It is actually the wrapper which initializes Brave. Open it in geany/text-editor and you'll see that its last line reads:

run-as-spot "$HERE/brave" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --ppapi-flash-path=$HERE/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --disable-infobars --no-sandbox "$@" || true

After Brave is started the first time (and per Mike Walsh) creates your initial profile, you can open "brave-pup" again in your text-editor, edit the last line to delete --no-sandbox ; save the changes.

At least that's how I remember doing it.

Do you need a sandbox? Only if you don't have toddlers and do have a cat. Well, your posts suggest that you do need a sandbox. So I guess you're concerned that if and when Brave crashes it doesn't bring down your entire operating system, which --IIRC-- is what Chrome programmers were told sandboxes are for.
oh hell yeah! that did it! but what is "sandbox"? do i need it?

bullpup

#6 Post by bullpup »

Perfect! Got rid of that message.

No 'problems' with this Brave 'portable' whatsoever. 8)

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

that did it! but what is "sandbox"? do i need it?
What is Sandbox and how it works?
A sandbox is a safe isolated environment that replicates an end user operating environment where you can run code, observe it and rate it based on activity rather than attributes. You can run executable files, allow contained network traffic and more that can contain hidden malware in a sandbox
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Gnimmelf:-
Gnimmelf wrote:oh hell yeah! that did it! but what is "sandbox"? do i need it?
Sandboxes. Hmm....

'Sandboxing' is the reason I switched from Firefox to Chrome back in late 2008. Chrome was designed, right from the outset, to isolate every tab from each and every other tab.....to contain processes within a tab, so that if a tab 'crashes' for whatever reason, it doesn't take the whole browser down with it.

During 2007-8, Firefox was getting worse and worse, in respect of crashing, several times a day; at that point in time, Firefox didn't implement sandboxing of tabs. The Chrome 'beta' test programme came online around mid-August that year, & I signed up for it.....at that point, my view was that anything had to be a better bet than Firefox. I fell in love with it; it was light; fast; super-reliable.....and never crashed.

Since Quantum came on the scene, of course, tab sandboxing is now common practice even for Firefox. There's not much to choose between the top ten browsers at all.

Brave is one of the Chromium 'clones' that has to be run as 'spot' (i.e, a "normal user"), so deleting the "--no-sandbox" switch shouldn't make any difference, IIRC. "--no-sandbox" is often required if you want to run certain Chromium 'clones' as the standard Puppy user, /root. Running as 'spot' satisfies the browser developer's dictates and gives pretty much full sandboxing, but then limits the browser's access to the 'spot' directory ONLY.

------------------

Puppy, of course, with its unique mode of operation, is probably safer to run browsers without sandboxing than any other Linux distro, despite running as root. We can choose to let a session evaporate into thin air if we want, by simply not saving it.....and that's another reason why many Puppians choose to run with a manual 'save', i.e., even if running from the hard drive, you can change the 'Pupmode' so that Puppy thinks you're running from a flash drive instead, and offers the manual save option on the desktop.

Others will no doubt explain in more detail about this if you're interested.

Mike. :wink: