Thankyou for How to add Puppy/Dog installs to a bigboy Linux

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Baldronicus

Thankyou for How to add Puppy/Dog installs to a bigboy Linux

#1 Post by Baldronicus »

Thank you rcrsn51 for the procedure to add Puppy/Dog installs to a big boy Linux setup, as given on Page 24 in "The Debian-Stretch-Live Starter Kit thread. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=345.

It is very nice, no need to chainload.

I tried it with Grub4Dos generated menu.lst files with both Grub 1.97 (I think. I wrote it down, then misplaced it) and Grub 2.02 Beta3 etc., and it worked well in both cases.

Also tried it with a menu.lst generated via, what I think might be, Grub Legacy-2013, and Grub 2.02 Beta3 etc.. Again, it worked well. Very nice.

I also tried to see if it would make a difference in the load speeds of the huge initrd of Fatdog64 on ext3 and ext4 partitions using the G4D from Fatdog64-810 and Slacko64-6.3.2 (if I understand correctly there is a limitation with 32 bit boot loaders that slows things, but then I might be thinking in the past) and then using your approach via Grub 2.02 Beta3 etc. Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for the test, the machine I used seemed to load fairly quickly with all of them (or maybe I am just so slow I don't notice). Anyway the test would have to be considered inconclusive.

Please accept my apologies if I should not have started another thread, or if I have selected the wrong place. I have been sailing a bit close to the wind with being off-topic in another thread and am getting a bit wary (no pun intended).

Thank you again.