News, happenings
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puppy 2.11 'Parlour' released by Barry Kauler

#1 Post by Lobster »

Latest official Puppy now avialable
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DownloadLatest

Notes from Barry:

"Puppy version 2.11 is out. The 'standard' live-CD iso file is puppy-2.11-seamonkey.iso and is 70.8M. The release notes are in a separate web page:
http://www.puppyos.com/download/release-2.11.htm

To download, go to the main Puppy download page:
http://www.puppyos.com/download/downpage.htm
The primary download host is Ibiblio:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uppylinux/

There is also puppy-2.11-seamonkey-xorgdrvrs.iso, 73.9M, that includes the extra Xorg basic video drivers. The other smaller iso has a slightly more cutdown Xorg with only 'vesa' and 'i810' drivers and this may have teething troubles on some video hardware. Feedback will be welcome on this, on the Forum"
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I have also setup another forum, for when John's forum is down :wink:
http://www.puppyos.net/forum/

Those of you who have been around awhile will know that I have setup a
few forums in the past, but always had trouble with them. The Perl forums
seemed to overload the server. There was one PHP forum that used mySQL,
but I had trouble with the mySQL database repeatedly getting corrupted.

So, this one is yet another, and it is just an experiment, something to play
with, and may not last long. It is AZbb, written in PHP and using it's own
flat file data storage. Excellent security features.
But who knows, if it works reliably I might let it stay there...

EDIT: Er no, the PHP/mySQL thing that I had trouble with was a wiki.
I think the last forum I had running was simpleforum, Perl script.
Last edited by BarryK on Sun 15 Oct 2006, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

raffy

Congrats

#3 Post by raffy »

Congratulations for this new release. :)

I would have registered in that forum but I seem to get nowhere after clicking the register button.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

Evidently still under heavy development! I had more luck. Managed to register and PM to BK. No options to add an item yet. Releasing a new Puppy version, setting up a new board, does this man ever sleep.....

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Sage, you should be able to post now.
Raffy, I had no trouble creating a user. I just now created a user named
"MrPerson" and posted a message. For security, registration requires email
verification, so your email system's spam filter must let it through.

billstclair

#6 Post by billstclair »

Typing this with Puppy 2.11 on my Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. Upgrade went fairly easily, with just a little trouble getting xorg to use 1200x1024 resolution. Everything works so far. Good job, Barry! As usual.

Mirrors, with torrents, of the ISO and devx at http://s3.amazonaws.com/puppy/index.html

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Thanks, Barry - I just did. Isn't it about time you rested the cranial kit ready for another busy day!!

vern72023

#8 Post by vern72023 »

cool upgrade went very smoothly
removing the items that I do not use and repllacing gets easier each time it feels
added wine 922 and opera and I only got rid of seamonkey and xfinans and jwm and I am still only at 70M for pup_211.sfs

Great job as always Barry - I love it

George
george

Nathan F

#9 Post by Nathan F »

The release announcements are very interesting to be sure. I will have to examine some of the new scripts carefully. In particular I just spent a good deal of time hacking at pmount in order to make it more useful in a multi-user environment, but I'd like to add the superfloppy support in also for Grafpup. I also want to do an update to pkgtool to make sure it uninstalls as smoothly as pupget.

Well it just now finished downloading so I'm going to go burn it. I'll need to get ahold of any updated unleashed packages also, so I can build the new Grafpup with the latest bug fixes.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#10 Post by Nathan F »

Hey, this is really a great release this time around. It's kind of nice to see Puppy get back to using some nice smaller programs again and trim some of the fat back off. I downloaded and burned, then before booting copied pup_211.sfs to my hd and whoosh! Running desktop before I could even blink. And this on an old crappy K-5 at 500mhz. This is a substantial speed increase over 2.10 also. Oh well, I guess lzma was too good to be true.

Anyway, this runs the way I remember Puppy used to run back when I first found it, around version1.0. Except that hardware is so much better now, everything just works for me whereas the 2.4 kernel always gave me problems with usb and sound. I also like having the release announcement in the iso.

I do have one small request to make. It would be nice to have a list of what packages have changed between releases, so I can update those in Puppy-unleashed a little easier.

One or two really small issues I've wanted to mention for a while. I often like to use a small commandline ftp program to avoid opening gftp (which opens slow on older computers, like all gtk2 apps do) and Puppy does have the sftp program. Unfortunately sftp does not work at for me, always failing to log into sites that other clients have no problem with. We could probably either drop it entirely or replace it with a small client that does work, like lftp or ncftp, or even the plain jane ftp program. I also still think Leafpad should be the default editor since Geany is so much larger and slower to open on a slower computer. I'd rather use Geany the way it was intended to be used, that is as a full IDE with the messages window and sidebar on by default. The new version (0.9)is also way superior in a lot of ways and is worth upgrading. I'd also like to have it compiled with the vte support, to get the attached term. If that is done libvte can be just an extra download, as Geany will just not load that widget if it can't find the lib, but will still run. It doesn't make a huge difference in the binary size either.

I'd also like to put another plug in for adding xdg menus. When I compile a new application the xdg menus usually pick it up automatically, among lots of other really cool things that xdg menus can enable.

But really, thanks to Barry for a really nice release this time around.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

bugman

#11 Post by bugman »

off-topic, but I just noticed Nathan's new logo and had to comment. It's brilliant!

cthisbear

#12 Post by cthisbear »

As well as being first up at Distrowatch, I notice at Majorgeeks
that Puppy 2.11 is mentioned, at only ten apps down the page.
This has always been a great site.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

I also wish to say great job again Barry.
I downloaded both versions, they ran well, no problems and
in fact I thought that Seamonkey loaded faster, even before
I use my own custom settings.
Regards Chris

wscarl

Error HD install!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 Post by wscarl »

Installed puppy 2.11 as a wipe on Dell Dimension L500CX (puppy 21.0rc1 existing OS)
after rebooting puppy failed to boot repeating the line:
usr/x11r7/bin/xwin: line 35 /tmp/kbdext layout.txt read-only file system
until I alt-cntrl-del to reboot and try to install other post 2.11 iso put it gave same error after reboot.

Nathan F

#14 Post by Nathan F »

off-topic, but I just noticed Nathan's new logo and had to comment. It's brilliant!
The logo you're talking about has been the Grafpup logo for a couple months now. Thanks go to David May for creating it, all I did was scale and add the shadow.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

bugman

#15 Post by bugman »

Nathan F wrote:
The logo you're talking about has been the Grafpup logo for a couple months now. Thanks go to David May for creating it, all I did was scale and add the shadow.

Nathan
Well, that shows how much attention I'm paying... :shock: :D :D :D wake up little bugman...